The Spring Creators Update is now the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, arrives on Monday

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft’s long-awaited Windows 10 Spring Creators Update will meet its promised April launch window, but just narrowly. When it does arrive on Monday, April 30, it’ll be under a different name.

Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate Vice President of the Windows and Devices Group at Microsoft, confirmed earlier today that the next major release will be called the Windows 10 April 2018 Update. Thanks to months of teasing and first-hand accounts from Windows Insider testers, we’ve got a solid vision of the update’s most prominent features although Mehdi did highlight a couple of additional details you may not be familiar with.

Focus Assist is similar to iOS’ Do Not Disturb mode. The intent is to silence what can be constant notifications and distractions that flood in while you’re trying to stay in the zone.

When enabled, Focus Assist will hide social media and other notifications. Once you complete your task, the feature will provide you with a summary of what happened during quiet time. Of course, if you’re expecting an important call or e-mail, you can choose to let that slide through via a priority list.

The April 2018 Update will also improve dictation in Windows 10. To get started, simply place the cursor in any text field and press Win+H then start talking. Mehdi says the bolstered feature will capture your ideas quickly and accurately so thoughts that pop into your head won’t be lost forever.

For a more complete rundown of new features heading to Windows 10, be sure to check out our recent Redstone 4 guide.

Permalink to story.

YES!
now I have the time to let it update, then create USB install and do clean install.
No one said using Microsoft was easy LOL

I installed release 1804 a week ago, and no problems yet. I don't use any of the features, like Cortana, voice activation or timeline (to use you have to have MS account and allow Windows full spying and cloud features, so no). They did improve the security/antivirus solution, making Windows Defender a viable stand-alone option. Many small tweaks, overall an improvement.

I installed the 1803 update on my computer and fixed all the bugs I had. The processor does not overheat anymore, and everything seems to be working as supposed. Speaking about the new features I guess MS need to explain better off cause I thought Timeline was more like Apple-Time Machine, but it is NOT.

I downloaded the April 2018 version of Windows 10 and installed it on my elderly Thinkpad X201 guinea pig laptop.

Here are my suggestions for having a successful installation:
1. Do the installation from an USB flash stick or DVD of the ISO image.
2. Before installing, disable or uninstall any potentially troublesome software like 3rd party anti-virus, Coretemp and Classic Shell.
3. Then run the SETUP program and, of course, choose to keep all programs and personal data.

Installing this way works around as much as possible any issues with installing via either Windows Update or directly with Microsoft's own Media Creation Tool. And you get an installer that can be used on several computers.

True to Microsoft's word, the installation took between a half hour and 45 minutes, pretty quick. I was not obsessive compulsive enough to measure the exact time it too to install.

First impressions:
1. Meh. It is still an operating system that is there for me to get done what I have to get done.
2. You have redo any custom settings like personalization of colors.
3. Microsoft seems to be even more obsessed with presenting its version of a clean user interface. So you still have, for example, disappearing scroll bars which appear only when the cursor moves over them. I also find it helpful visually to be able to see a color title bar, instead of the default white one. So I checked color title bars in the personalization section of Control Panel, and they show up everywhere EXCEPT in the Control Panel itself.
4. If you are fond of seeing certain icons in the lower right corner of the task bar, you have to redo them. For me, Coretemp is an indispensible tool to monitor system health and I need to see the processor temperatures regularly.

Summary: Windows 10 April 2018 edition is OK, but I do not think it is as exciting as all of its hype. It cost me less than 5 minutes to customize my updated system, a tolerable amount of time.

I let it upgrade (was very quick), then made a USB drive for clean install, also went very quickly.
Works very well, no glitches during process.
Took 'control panel' away, but it is still there if you like to shortcut it.
Not using new features, but I find the OS is installing faster and working smoothly so not complaining.

Back