The tech industry shows solidarity in the face of Donald Trump's immigration ban

midian182

Staff member

It’s not often that you’ll find the tech industry in agreement over something, but from Alphabet to Uber, the criticism against Donald Trump’s immigration ban has been the same. Since the President signed the executive order blocking entry to the US for citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries, Silicon Valley has fought against the move with words and actions.

Google was one of the first to react to Trump's actions. CEO Sundar Pichai told staff traveling overseas that may be impacted by the order to return to the US immediately. In a note to employees, Pichai said nearly 200 Google workers are affected by the ban.

"It’s painful to see the personal cost of this executive order on our colleagues," Pichai wrote. "We’ve always made our view on immigration issues known publicly and will continue to do so."

Google has now created a $4 million “crisis fund” that will be donated to four organizations: the ACLU, Immigrant Resource Center, International Rescue Committee and Mercy Corps.

Apple boss Tim Cook said the company will do everything it can to support affected employees, adding that “Apple would not exist without immigration.” Microsoft, meanwhile, has 76 employees under threat. CEO Satya Nadella, himself an immigrant, said: “As an immigrant and as a CEO, I’ve both experienced and seen the positive impact that immigration has on our company, for the country, and for the world. We will continue to advocate on this important topic.”

Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg expressed his concerns over the ban on the social network. He wrote that the firm is "assessing the impact on our workforce and determining how best to protect our people and their families from any adverse effects.”

After it was lambasted for refusing to show solidarity with New York City taxi drivers who were striking at JFK airport, Uber said it will create a $3 million legal fund to help its drivers affected by the ban. Rival Lyft is also helping by donating $1 million to the ACLU over four years. Its co-founders wrote: “[we] will not be silent on issues.” 

Tesla’s Elon Musk, who is part of Trump’s business advisory team, tweeted that the ban is not the best way to address the country’s challenges.”

LinkedIn, Amazon, Mozilla, Twitter, and many more have also spoken out against the ban. Netflix CEO Reed Hastings had some of the harshest words, calling the order “so un-American it pains us all.”

“Worse, these actions will make America less safe (through hatred and loss of allies) rather than more safe,” Hastings added.

Some big tech companies were noticeably quiet on the issue. Palantir refused to comment on the ban, though given co-founder Peter Thiel’s relationship with Trump, that’s not much of a surprise. IBM, Oracle, and Dell have also declined requests to comment.

Permalink to story.

Worse, these actions will make America less safe (through hatred and loss of allies) rather than more safe

Yeah. Because letting people in from terrorist hotbeds makes us safer.

Missing from this article is that the nations affected by the ban came from Obama. It's his list. He also did the same to Iraqis several years ago and I don't recall any tech websites (or firms) screaming and yelling about that.

Worse, these actions will make America less safe (through hatred and loss of allies) rather than more safe

Missing from this article is that the nations affected by the ban came from Obama. It's his list. He also did the same to Iraqis several years ago and I don't recall any tech websites (or firms) screaming and yelling about that.
You do realise that what you said is childish right? All Trump did is create more hatred. THE END
He arbitrarily decided that the America isn't America anymore but North Korea.

Putting clamps on a bleeder is usually a good idea - but not if it goes around your neck. A pressure bandage might have been better.

I think the Executive Order could have been significantly improved with some input from staff.

What will the tech industry do if they can't bring Indian dudes to code?

Really, I'm asking. From what I heard, Microsoft's filled with people from China/India.

You do realise that what you said is childish right? All Trump did is create more hatred. THE END

The more the left and it's puppet masters hate, the better. The more they hate and the more violent they become, the more people will recognize them for what they are. And the more that happens, the more people will support these policies to protect them from the barbarians.

You open borders types have no idea the type of deep seeded hatred and resentment you're breeding by flooding western countries with foreigners and granting them preference as protected populations.

In fact, there was a migrant who recently drowned in Venice...to the cheers and jeers of observers. At some point, someone told the guy to "go back to Africa." Now, nobody was obligated to jump in and save him. But the fact that they were amused by the poor fellow's misfortune should tell you something.

What's going on in this country and Europe is a war between globalists, nationalists, and non-Europeans brought about by 60 years of multiculturalism and progressivism's cancerous effects on Western identity and culture. It isn't going to end peacefully.

He arbitrarily decided that the America isn't America anymore but North Korea.

Further responses will be ignored. You're too short for the ride.

I think the Executive Order could have been significantly improved with some input from staff.

Most of this stuff was likely planned out months ago. This is an opening salvo intended to lead up to a more thorough set of policies.

So everyones in agreement that allowing terrorists from these war torn areas into the states is good for america? I'm guessing no ones seen the shiz happening in france or belgium... you know.. .the refugees along with the incredibly high increase in terrorist attacks of late... you know... thanks to not having a similar ban in place...

It's strange to see people don't understand that not many tech companies hire folks from iraq or syria simply following the immigration order I kinda fail to see how many or if any companies would be like "My employees are on their way back from Syria let them in we need them back working"

I still manage a few projects that heavily depend upon tech workers from all over the globe. India will be very hard hit, especially when so many young people are counting on doing work for the US. My only concern at this point is that he may ban the use of off shore workers (data in & out) thinking this is a source of hacking, etc. I kind of like the "concept" that Trump has, but his delivery and execution are sorely in need of help. I thought that is what that favorite son-in-law was there for???

The peasants are upset...Trump is installing sticker vetting before his Generals execute their plan to exterminate ISIS. BOO BOO! Big thing going down soon. I see a huge assaults on those 7 nation's.

The more the left and it's puppet masters hate, the better. The more they hate and the more violent they become, the more people will recognize them for what they are. And the more that happens, the more people will support these policies to protect them from the barbarians.

You open borders types have no idea the type of deep seeded hatred and resentment you're breeding by flooding western countries with foreigners and granting them preference as protected populations.

In fact, there was a migrant who recently drowned in Venice...to the cheers and jeers of observers. At some point, someone told the guy to "go back to Africa." Now, nobody was obligated to jump in and save him. But the fact that they were amused by the poor fellow's misfortune should tell you something.

What's going on in this country and Europe is a war between globalists, nationalists, and non-Europeans brought about by 60 years of multiculturalism and progressivism's cancerous effects on Western identity and culture. It isn't going to end peacefully.

Further responses will be ignored. You're too short for the ride.

Most of this stuff was likely planned out months ago. This is an opening salvo intended to lead up to a more thorough set of policies.
Typical response of a racist. I'm sorry but all you said is just your own delusion based on you reading some white supremacist blogs or something similarly stupid to that.
FYI America lives and breaths on immigration. Immigration is how the country functions. Calling people "open border types" is the mark of a kid who doesn't know his own country's history.

TL;DR Trump just made the his first big mistake and he will pay for it one way or another. The country hicks who voted for him are already regretting their decision.

This Rob guy is really obsessed with Trump. In every article he just ads "tech" to a headline and it passes as "tech news".
If news is potentially affecting tech industry, why not post it? Or should TechSpot exercise some type of political correctness toward Trump administration and his supporters and refrain from posting anything remotely critical about Trump?

You mean hotbeds such as Saudi Arabia, where 9-11 hijackers came from? Or Pakistan, or Egypt, or Palestine where people celebrated out on the streets when 9-11 attacks happened?. Oh, wait, these countries are not on the list... There must be something else in common between the countries on the list... Right, no business interest for Donnie Trump there... That must be unconstitutional, is it not?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...9ec4b3d09ba_story.html?utm_term=.1136eb0d35e4

As a side note, stopping people with green cards from entering is quite troubling too.

I still manage a few projects that heavily depend upon tech workers from all over the globe. India will be very hard hit, especially when so many young people are counting on doing work for the US. My only concern at this point is that he may ban the use of off shore workers (data in & out) thinking this is a source of hacking, etc. I kind of like the "concept" that Trump has, but his delivery and execution are sorely in need of help. I thought that is what that favorite son-in-law was there for???

India will be hit... Since when... I thought every single article from trumps administration listed war torn places like Iraq, Syria... your telling me India is war torn? Unless I'm missing a BIG part of the puzzle its just war torn place not india or pakistan or south korea

Except Saudi Arabia is not banned, a country Trump has business ventures in. Seems fishy. Also, the four countries that gave us the 9/11 hijackers are not banned either. So odd.

This one is a little too juicy to turn down, so I'll respond.

Typical response of a racist. I'm sorry but all you said is just your own delusion based on you reading some white supremacist blogs or something similarly stupid to that.
FYI America lives and breaths on immigration. Immigration is how the country functions. Calling people "open border types" is the mark of a kid who doesn't know his own country's history.

1. I'm mixed race. What business would I have with white supremacists who, per their own worldview, see me as a genetic abomination?

2. I took American and World History in college. Passed each class with perfect grades. I know far more about this country than you do, as indicated by your immigration statement.

If news is potentially affecting tech industry, why not post it? Or should TechSpot exercise some type of political correctness toward Trump administration and his supporters and refrain from posting anything remotely critical about Trump?

You mean hotbeds such as Saudi Arabia, where 9-11 hijackers came from? Or Pakistan, or Egypt, or Palestine where people celebrated out on the streets when 9-11 attacks happened?. Oh, wait, these countries are not on the list... There must be something else in common between the countries on the list... Right, no business interest for Donnie Trump there... That must be unconstitutional, is it not?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...9ec4b3d09ba_story.html?utm_term=.1136eb0d35e4

As a side note, stopping people with green cards from entering is quite troubling too.

Citing a fake news site won't help you case. As for countries not impacted by the ban...this is actually a point of concern. Pakistan et. al. should certainly be part of the ban. Why he chose to go with Obama's list without such modifications is, in a word, baffling.

Insofar as his business interests...I genuinely don't care.

Also, from NBC (admittedly, also fake news): http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...n-t-include-green-card-holders-anyone-n713731

Green card holders aren't being unreasonably "stopped."

Except Saudi Arabia is not banned, a country Trump has business ventures in. Seems fishy. Also, the four countries that gave us the 9/11 hijackers are not banned either. So odd.

You've missed the point.

Citing a fake news site won't help you case. As for countries not impacted by the ban...this is actually a point of concern. Pakistan et. al. should certainly be part of the ban. Why he chose to go with Obama's list without such modifications is, in a word, baffling.

Riiight.... the tasty fake news argument. I forgot that in the Trump bubble Washington post, NY times as well as anyone else remotely critical to Trump administration is fake news now... What is real news, if I may ask? Fox News? Inquirer? Breitbart? The "news outlets" that Donnie Trump himself views as legitimate?

Also, from NBC (admittedly, also fake news): http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...n-t-include-green-card-holders-anyone-n713731

So you don't care if the POTUS puts his business/financial interests before the national security? Okay. I will strongly disagree on this one.

As for Green Card holders, despite the administration claiming that green card holders aren't affected, number of people with Green Cards are held at the airports for days. So saying that "Green card holders aren't being unreasonably stopped" isn't quite accurate. I would assume that if you were held at the airport for a few days on your way home you would think otherwise.

This one is a little too juicy to turn down, so I'll respond.

1. I'm mixed race. What business would I have with white supremacists who, per their own worldview, see me as a genetic abomination?

2. I took American and World History in college. Passed each class with perfect grades. I know far more about this country than you do, as indicated by your immigration statement.

You've missed the point.
I'm sorry but that thing about college... you are either bullshiting or just have double standards.

And another thing: what? you can't be racist because you have mixed blood? I only gave the "white supremacist" as an example and clearly stated that it isn't limited to just that.

This is a simple case of Trump using his power as president to arbitrarily ban countries for his own business benefit. Where is the ban for Egypt, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Indonesia and Afghanistan? These countries are where the US got attacked from in the past 4 decades.

This is what happens when when a president is elected without actually winning the popular vote by a broken archaic election system. America has never been more divided and it's full of people with no balls to stand up for what they believe.

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” ― Frank Herbert, Dune

TL;DR Trump just made the his first big mistake and he will pay for it one way or another. The country hicks who voted for him are already regretting their decision.[/QUOTE]
The only racist here is YOU!

Riiight.... the tasty fake news argument. I forgot that in the Trump bubble Washington post, NY times as well as anyone else remotely critical to Trump administration is fake news now... What is real news, if I may ask? Fox News? Inquirer? Breitbart? The "news outlets" that Donnie Trump himself views as legitimate?

So you don't care if the POTUS puts his business/financial interests before the national security? Okay. I will strongly disagree on this one.

As for Green Card holders, despite the administration claiming that green card holders aren't affected, number of people with Green Cards are held at the airports for days. So saying that "Green card holders aren't being unreasonably stopped" isn't quite accurate. I would assume that if you were held at the airport for a few days on your way home you would think otherwise.
Actually the ones you mentioned first are part of the "liberal media" and they distort the truth quite a lot and quite frequently. Censorship too. Censorship by omission, as it's called. Hence why americans dunno anything about the world after reading those lol

The tech industry shows solidarity in the face of Donald Trump's immigration ban
I'm not sure if it's because English is not my native language, but it shows as if Tech industry is in favour of the ban. This is all, I do see another Trump-gorefest going on so just a "drive by".

Oh @Puiu ,... how could you say that Trump made America a North Korea, you lost any type of past/current/future coherency with a couple words =(

This is a simple case of Trump using his power as president to arbitrarily ban countries for his own business benefit. Where is the ban for Egypt, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Indonesia and Afghanistan? These countries are where the US got attacked from in the past 4 decades.

This is what happens when when a president is elected without actually winning the popular vote by a broken archaic election system.
Why are those other countries off the list? I can't say, but I'd imagine it's because we're trying to prevent the next attack, not the last one.

Don't start on the popular vote thing... We won't ever have a popular vote system because the country would never allow California to choose our president every 4 years. Here's an analogy for you....The Super Bowl is next weekend - who should win? The team who scores the most points or the one who gains the most yards? Electoral votes are how we score elections - get over it. At some point democrats will understand that the biggest reason they lost the election is hanging right over their bathroom sink. But until then, keep throwing random theories out there and calling people racist - it's done more to turn the country red than anything anyone on the right has done. So, thanks!

America has never been more divided and it's full of people with no balls to stand up for what they believe.
You do realize this is why people voted for Trump.

I'm sorry but that thing about college... you are either bullshiting or just have double standards.

No joke. My college GPA is 3.7. History classes were great electives for easy As.

And another thing: what? you can't be racist because you have mixed blood? I only gave the "white supremacist" as an example and clearly stated that it isn't limited to just that.

"Anybody who doesn't support open borders is a racist."

Height requirement reinstated.

Actually the ones you mentioned first are part of the "liberal media" and they distort the truth quite a lot and quite frequently. Censorship too. Censorship by omission, as it's called. Hence why americans dunno anything about the world after reading those lol

Ahh, same old conservative paranoia about the notorious "liberal media" continuously distorting the truth, lacking any type of fact checking and destroying America! You are so hilarious. So what would be the neutral or independent news/media souces that those "informed about the World" Americans watch or read? Would you oblige to share? Is it Faux News? Perhaps it is Inquirer, that Donald Trump likes to read? Would it be Breitbart, maybe, that Trump's Chief Strategist Steve Bannon use to lead?

Last edited:
Back