The World Wide Web Turns 30: A Timeline

25 and still based on antiquated and inefficient HTML protocols. 2 browsers cannot display the same page equally.
And the only REAL advances, named Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight, have been "banned" by a company named "Apple".

Happy 25th birthday Web. You're still an infant.

I remember the first time I saw Mosaic in early 1994. Even then when there weren't a ton of places to go, and most were all text -- it was clearly awesome and seemed likely to only get better, which obviously it did.

25 and still based on antiquated and inefficient HTML protocols. 2 browsers cannot display the same page equally.
And the only REAL advances, named Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight, have been "banned" by a company named "Apple".

Happy 25th birthday Web. You're still an infant.
trust me flash sucks :D whenever I make a website it's flash that breaks things

As someone who was helping run and into the BBS and MUD scene I saw this coming a long way off though could certainly not imagine how it would completely transform the world.

I'm not going to complain one bit. I'm very grateful to have a computer & able to be online. Not to mention I'm very grateful to the knowledgeable guys & gals here at TS that have helped me considerably. Long live the internet

happy-birthday-internet.png

The web wasn't really available to everyone and user-friendly until a browser was employed, enabling just about anyone to search for info. That was in April 1993....so I'd say the web as we know it is barely 21. Almost old enough to drink!

Nothing about p2p and nothing about internet speed, also what's the big deal with facebook?

Facebook and CGA icons aka T I L E S
lol
alta vista was the search-engine of '93, great fun, endless links.
I reached alta vista et al with America Online and my 1200 baud racal vadic analog modem (I.e., speeds ignored).
usenet barely mentioned
Diablo I and multi-geographic multi-player gaming on battlenet

and nothing worth noting happened for four years.. hm..

Nothing about p2p and nothing about internet speed, also what's the big deal with facebook?
Internet speed is down to infrastructure. As such it does not represent a WWW milestage any more than the introduction of 4 core CPUs. Also p2p is something that uses the Internet and is not part of the WWW.

Frankly I understand your feelings towards Facebook but it is a service that utilises the WWW and is popular with people.

Let me make a prediction for 3 years from now, in the same spirit...

Over 90% of Internet activity is fake.

Back