Thermal Pad on bottom of AMD 64 Heatsink, safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatastrophE

Hey Guys ^^

Right I got myself a new ASrock Mobo and AMD 64 3700 Processor.
I was ready to put it together but something stopped me, I noticed a grey pad on the bottom of my AMD's heatsink, since I had invested in some Thermal Paste I wasnt sure if I should leave it on and put the processor together as it is, or somehow remove the pad and use the Thermal Paste.
Another thing that stopped me was the fact that the Pad had a slight fingerprint on it (I got it used but it's in perfect condition) ive heared that with Paste this can contaminate it but I wasnt sure about the Pad.

So what should I do?
Remove the Pad and use paste
or keep the pad on with the print on it and just place it onto the processor as it is...

M. :)

Thanks for the reply, that just about clears most of my worries up, anyone else have any oppinions while i'm on the subject?

M.

I have the same CPU as you, and I am using the pad. If you have a high quality paste you bought (like artic silver) then you may as well use it. It will drop your temps a bit from what I have heard.

But I myself am using the pad.

And I agree with iss, that fingerprint is nothing to worry about.

You can go with the pad or the paste.
The fingerprint wont affect it at all, but its true that if you have good quality paste and you apply it properly then you will have lower cpu temps with paste than if you used the pad. Dont be afraid to use the paste. You can google a site that will have pics to show you how. Just put a good but thin coat over the raised part of the cpu. I go one step further and i put a very very fine layer of paste on the heatsink at the point where it meets the raised part of the cpu.
And never use both pad and paste. Sorry, but i have heard of people doing this.
If you want to take the pad off you can use an old credit card and alcohol.
I take an plastic-coated playing card, cut a piece off and use that to spread thermal paste.

Thanks everyone I appreciate your replies ^^
Shame nothing will work now since I received a Dud Mobo which really sucked :(
Spent all day breaking my back and killing my knee's putting it in only to find that turning it on gave me no POST and no display from my 3D card, tryed several things but nothing worked, lucky for me the fan's on my Card and Processor did spin, so they are ok, i'm just glad everything I put in came out ok (though I am yet to test my processor again, it could be damaged :( ) but for now i'm happy my old part's are working fine, thanks again ^^

It's not unusual to get a bad mobo, but in some cases a bios re-set may cure the problem. Also, sometimes on some mobos with onboard video you have to set a jumper to use a video card.
Maybe re-read the manual for a small clue you might have missed before you send the mobo back?

Right, well ok now my situations changed again :p
My Mobo and Processor do work afterall, I just re-seated and re wired it, who knows what went wrong 0_o
Anyway, did a repair of Windows XP and it feel's really sluggish, any suggestions?

M.

[sigh] Do i have to do this?

If you got the CPU with no pad, APPLY THE THermal paste

IF YOU GOT THE CPU WITH PAD, USE IT! Simple as that, the company which provided the pad assured that the cpu will function and disspate the heat normally.

Lucan

P.S. Mailpup, i think this post are talking about between the thermal pad and the paste

Never hurt's to ask Bushwacker, and that problem is sorted now, as for the Mobo drivers I better install the most recent ones and see if that helps, the CD ones are probably ancient lol

M.

CatastrophE said:
Never hurt's to ask Bushwacker, and that problem is sorted now, as for the Mobo drivers I better install the most recent ones and see if that helps, the CD ones are probably ancient lol

M.

Glad to hear from you, you can download the latest driver directly off the internet. can you tell me the motherboard specification or maybe the motherboard name? Same with the video card, i can get u latest driver available.

Lucan

Beside, fresh installation of Windows XP is recommended, avoid the repaired on WIndows xp

Yeah your probably right about doing a Fresh install, i'm strongly considering doing it since I have too much crap on my HD as it is, I think i'll invest in a new HD sometime and transfer it all onto that, for now though I have a Asrock 939 Dual Sata 2 mobo and my 3D card drivers are up to date (ATI Radeon x800xt AIW)

Much appreciated :)

M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back