Thermaltake Tsunami front intake fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody78

Hello, I just joined today and have a question.

Ihave a Thermaltake Tsunami and the front 120X120X25 intake fan has been making noises . Usualy when I turn it off and back on again, the noise stops untill I boot up again the next morning. I cant find where the front fan is plugged into cause the wires are behind the drive racks.

Does this fan plug into the motherboard? Or does it plug into something else and what are the usual colors for the front fan wires? I am not familiar with working inside a pc and dont want to unplug the wrong thing. I need to disconnect it before my other fan I ordered arrives. The make of the fan is a thermaltake TT-1225A

My motherboard is an Asus K8V-SE Deluxe, it that helps any. I see a red and black set of wires pluged into the board below the green led light on the mobo, and another that is a blue and white set of wires next to it. I think they lead from the fan but not sure. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks advance :)

Cody

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The front intake fan is connected to the psu, not the mobo.

In order to get to it, you will have to take out the hard drive cage.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for replying. Hmmm, are the cages easy to remove in the Tsunami case? And if I unplug the hard drive, would I have to reinstall windows , or will it keep its memory?

Yes, the hard drive cage should be fairly easy to remove.

No, you wont have to re-install Windows. if you unplug your hard drive all the data will still be intact. When you put your hard drive back in, Windows should boot up normally.

Regards Howard
hump.gif

Oh ok. One last question. Could the hard drive stay in the cage when I remove it or would I have to also remove it from its cage? It looks like it has four screws holding it in the cage, It would be kinda hard getting the back screws out. Thanks again :)

Cody

I can`t see any problem with taking the cage out with the hard drive still in it.

I thought the Tsunami case was designed to be scewless?(almost)

I have the Thermaltake Xaser III case, and my hard drive just clips into the cage.

Regards Howard :)

I thought the Tsunami case was designed to be scewless?(almost)

It does have two screws with little rubber washers hoding the hard drive in, and another screw at the bottom of the cage hoding the cage into place. The screws have grips that look like they can be loosend by hand or with a screwdriver. I am just wondering if those 2 screws on the HD are the only ones, and if there are some in the back. Other than that, yes it is virtualy screwless and looks pretty easy (I hope anyways hehe) :suspiciou It is probably similar to your xaser case no doubt. :)

Cody

I have the same case (love it, but gettin the psu in was a pain...), just built a system with it. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting my HDD to boot windows with it, but this is a thread abotu your problems, not mine.

Anyway, you can just unscrew that thumbscrew which is holding the HDD cage in, push down that bar on the top, and slide it out - with your HDD screwed into it and even connected to the mobo... but you might want to disconnect the power cable and IDE (or SATA) cable to lessen the clutter for now. The fan is hooked into the PSU, and also most likely there is a thin cable which is yellow and hooks into the motherboard. This cable, I believe, is used so that the motherboard can control its speed depending on your computer temp. You can also use the software which came with your motherboard to control your fans through windows. Check both this cable and the power cable (yellow/black) to see if they are interferring with the fan. There are also a number of other wires which run from the top USB/firewire/audio ports, and front light/power button wires which run down near the fan and could be obstructing it.

I hope this may help, and if you have any other questions just ask.

Thankyou. Sorry to hear you have a hard drive problem, wish I could help in return but I know very little about these issues unfortunatly. :(

This sounds easy enough, 'at least the cage part does anyways :)' I can have a tech come out with my warranty, but am only allowed three visits so I am thinking on trying it myself. I should get my new fan in the mail this week so I will tackle this problem. You think I should get a wrist strap so I could be grounded? Every floor I have is carpeted and am told not to work on carpet (unless I can put a wooden board down and work on that?)

I have the same case (love it, but gettin the psu in was a pain...),

And yes, I have heard stories about this Tsunami case and the PSU. Is it true you have to remove the motherboard to change the power supply? That is my biggest fear. Other than that, I love my tsunami case. Thanks again for all the help, I am glad I found this forum :)

Cody

Cody78 said:
You think I should get a wrist strap so I could be grounded? Every floor I have is carpeted and am told not to work on carpet (unless I can put a wooden board down and work on that?)

Well, I purchased a wrist strap for myself, but really you don't need one
Just don't wear shoes or socks, and make sure you continually discharge the static from youself by touching a grounded metal object (i.e. your computer chassis - the metal framework). If you were doing more work involving circuitry, like doing stuff to the processor or motherboard, you may want one, but I personally wouldn't bother.

I wonder if I used that fan controller software on the motherboard if I could shut the front fan off untill my new fan arrives? I also have a feeling that the fan they send me will be the wrong one. So I am thinking on ordering one from new egg or somewhere so would any 120mm fan work in the tsunami case, or would you reccomend one? Thanks again!

Cody

The easiest way to shut the front fan off, is to disconnect it.

Any 120mm fan should be fine, provided it`s dimensions are the same.

What makes you think the fan Thermaltake will send you will be the wrong one?

Regards Howard :)

Well actualy my fan is coming from Monarch, and they are sending me the fan free due to my warranty. I had a side 80mm fan on the case making noise last year so they sent me one out for replacement and it was a little rinky-dink antec fan that was way too small. I told them about it and they never did send me the right one. Fortunatly, the noise went away so I never called them back to resend it. This is why I wouldnt be surprised if they send me the wrong thing again. :rolleyes:

Cody78 said:
Well actualy my fan is coming from Monarch, and they are sending me the fan free due to my warranty. I had a side 80mm fan on the case making noise last year so they sent me one out for replacement and it was a little rinky-dink antec fan that was way too small. I told them about it and they never did send me the right one. Fortunatly, the noise went away so I never called them back to resend it. This is why I wouldnt be surprised if they send me the wrong thing again. :rolleyes:

Well just so you know, the side fan on the Tsunami is actually 90mm... I'm guessing that that's what you told them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back