These are some of the worst places people are using the Apple Vision Pro

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: It might not come as a surprise to learn that buyers of the Apple Vision Pro have been using the $3,500 mixed-reality headset in places that could only be described as stupid, including behind the wheel of moving Tesla vehicles.

A video currently going viral on X shows 21-year-old Dante Lentini using Apple's headset while operating a Tesla on the highway.

Part of the clip shows a headset-wearing Lentini with both his hands off the wheel as the car moves, something Tesla repeatedly tells owners never to do while using their vehicles' assisted driving features.

The video ends with a police vehicle flashing its lights as it pulls up behind Lentini. The poster wrote in the comments section that he was arrested for his actions.

Another video posted on X shows someone typing away while wearing a Vision Pro as their Cybertruck moves down the highway. As with the previous clip, both the driver's hands are off the wheel.

The Apple Vision Pro's mixed-reality mode adds virtual elements to the surrounding world, but it is likely just as distracting as using a phone while driving.

There have been plenty of accusations from commentators that both these videos are fake or have been set up in order to gain views and attention. Given that this is the internet, such scenarios are always possible.

The Apple Vision Pro User Guide is quite specific about never using the device while operating a moving vehicle, bicycle, heavy machinery, or in any other situations requiring attention to safety. It adds that the headset is designed for use in controlled areas that are safe, on a level surface. So, definitely not behind the wheel of a moving Tesla, then.

There have been several other clips, staged or otherwise, of people using the Vision Pro in less-than-ideal environments. One shows a man wearing the device as he works out at a gym. Several wearers are walking around the streets, while another is crossing the road.

The good news for anyone wearing an Apple Vision Pro is that the chances of damaging the headset by accidentally walking into something are extremely low, as demonstrated by this durability-test video.

Permalink to story.

"These are some of the worst places people are using the Apple Vision Pro"

Call it human nature... Preferring the worst public places versus private ones...! Are they showing off...?!

Yes, I've been seeing these videos and I do think most - if not all of them - are staged, part of viral / guerilla marketing.

After spending a lot of money on it, it seemed like it was normal to do something stupid with such an expensive item..

There was a YouTube video with a guy using the vision pro in new York, including the subway.

in the subway he showed that all UI elements disappear when the vision pro detects the movement of the subway.

so how on earth are they supposed to be functional in a car, exactly?

There was a YouTube video with a guy using the vision pro in new York, including the subway.

in the subway he showed that all UI elements disappear when the vision pro detects the movement of the subway.

so how on earth are they supposed to be functional in a car, exactly?

First off that was one of the most famous youtubers, Casey Neistat, secondly in the video he talked about why it works while walking or riding in a bus or car and not on a subway. If the entire environment is shaking and moving no inside out tracking will work. A car is, of course, moving, but it's a lot less than a subway car.

If I had an Apple Vision Pro I would use it while squeezing one out on the toilet, and then flush it down along with the other turd I produced.

Back