These guys built the world's largest Nerf gun (and it's awesome)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nerf guns are a childhood staple that can still be a blast today given the right environment (office battle, anyone?). But what happens when you’re weapon is outclassed by your office mates (or your kids)? If you’re former NASA engineer Mark Rober, you apparently build your own oversized Nerf N-Strike Maverick that’s powered by a 3,000 PSI paintball tank.

His massive Nerf gun is capable of firing oversized darts at about 40 mph. Hilariously enough, the darts are made of pool noodles with plungers on the end which, at that speed and weight, can actually do a bit of damage.

Rober also gives credit to the gang from the Eclectical Engineering channel for helping with the project. As an added bonus, Ryan and David replaced the massive gun’s air canister with a black powder cannon and wooden dowels for some seriously destructive power. That clip is embedded below.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I kind of wish it was a **** and shoot like the original. Of course I realize that would be more challenging and who knows if that could even pull it back.

With that revolver style assembly I was expecting semi-auto fire. But I've never seem the original Nerf gun or how it works

Back