THINK IT: Interview with Raspberry Pi's Eben Upton

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/531-eben-upton-interview/]https://www.techspot.com/article/531-eben-upton-interview/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

If I'm honest, the RPi has been a bit of a flop really, reminds me of smartphone beta test. Yeah it's generated LOADS of sales which is good, but it still doesn't have a relatively bug-free or stable kernel, the sound drivers are basically non-existant and bugged to hell, and best of all... Hardware acceleration? What's that? I've never seen lxde (on their OFFICIAL debian endorsed release) take a few minutes to resize a window before, just wow. It's got roughly the same spec as an ipod touch yet if you want a GUI web browser, be prepared for system lockups as you literally run out of RAM.

@Guest above, You do realise that the purpose of the Raspberry Pi is to get kids in schools to learn how to program, right? And considering that the educational release isn't scheduled until September, it can't be considered a flop. Every single person buying the device now should be aware that it is very much still early days in terms of software and support. In fact, they're encouraged to help develop the Pi further by reporting bugs, pushing code (if they can) and generally whatever else they can do depending on their skill set.

Still waiting to get hold of mine... I think there are a ton of projects just waiting to be worked on - the more that are sold, the more software will be written / updated.

Give it a couple of years to bed in before writing it off.

It's got roughly the same spec as an ipod touch yet if you want a GUI web browser, be prepared for system lockups as you literally run out of RAM.

You don't need a gui for programming when you have ncurses and vim, hell you don't even need a gui for watching video in GNU/Linux. It can all be done on the framebuffer without an X session.
And if you do run an X session, it's best to stick to low memory software like fluxbox, mplayer (nogui), elinks | links -g | lynx, mpd / mpc.

The first thing I'm going to do is setup Arch Linux ;)

The whole idea of RPi is to tinker with it, it's not about the sales (It's non profit you know), nor to make a super computer. Just that, a computer you can tinker with for dirt cheap, so you don't actually mind if you break it and everyone could have access to.

Back