think Videocard is going out need help & suggestion on new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

frost1977

I was playing oblivion and the screen sort of exploded like one of those tube things u look through and twist to get the diffrent colors. (did the same thing with WOW after reboot)

I also get lines up and down screen. I have tried reinstalling video driver?

also have sever spots of rainbow like splotches all over screen, even after several reboots.

the computer did boot up this morning and too about 1 min after the desk top was up before the lines and splotchs appers.

DX & ati driver are both current i did that 1st thing. and unplugging and reattaching didn't clear it up.

I managed to hook up a diffrent computer, much older and no high end programs on it, but it did not mess up so i am almost certain it is not the monitor.

i hooked up the one with the problem, videocard fan was working, rear case fan had stoped but had the front fan working, but i did have the side off the computer.

it seemed ok until i loaded oblivion then it started again about 30secs after boot up.

i shut down closed up the case, and rehooked everything.
after restart problem faded for about 1min and is after windows loaded now back. i get the problem during the boot process as well.

it is now clear again except around the mouse cursur i got some little rainbow dots distorting part of it.

if it is the videocard going bad (i have an AGP mb)
these are the 2 cards i am looking at. the computer is built for gaming.

ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512 MB AGP

ATI Radeon X850 Pro 256 MB AGP

i don't know enough about what i read at ATI.com to make up my mind on the 2.

I have a 9800pro 128mb card now.

any help is appreciated

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

I'd say one of three things is causing your problems:

1. The ram on your video card has gone bad
2. Your video card is overheating (common on the 9800 pro). Open up your case again, but this time aim a house fan toward the inside of your computer. If this lessens the problem, you know it is an overheating problem.
3. Your PSU is failing on you. Download and install speedfan and tell us what it is reporting for your voltages on the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rails:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/547-speedfan.html

What is your budget for upgrading? Give us that, and we can help you pick the best card. It would also help if you post your full system specs.

speed fan results
Fan1 4327 rpm

temp1 45 -46c
temp2 25c
temp3 47-49 c temp 3 has spiked to 53c with a little fireball icon next to it after a 10 mins of running

HD0 31c

2 boxes of info are next

box1 box2
vcore1: 1.52v -12v: -13.35v
vcore2: 1.92v -5v: -5.06v
+3.3v: 3.28v +5v: 5.19v
+5v: 5.11v vbat: 0.00v
+12v: 12.03v

i am installing 2 exahust fans this after noon. i suspect it was over heating as the video is fine Now after having been off all night. I have not loaded any games Oblivion or WOW , until i can get the fans installed
so i won't know on that for certain

I would still like to upgrade my videocard by october even if its not going bad.
my buget at max would be about $400 the price of the x850.

single video card. AGPslot.

as i said gaming this the main thing this pc was built for.
i have had good luck with the ATI cards.
but am open to nvidia.

That is a huge budget...
check out this card.. ATI X850XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 16 pixel pipelines

What are your other system specs?? AMD or intel?

If I were you I would upgrade to PCI express.
1). PCI express version of X850XT
2). A new PCI-express motherboard will cost you around $100. So all in all the upgrade to PCI express will cost you about the same as just buying the AGP card. There are much better options when going with PCI express as well. Take a look at the 7900GT for around $260. Even with one of those cards and the pci motherboard your upgrade will be less than $400.
Cheers

running comp with side of and desk fan aimed inside case

fan1 rpm 2900
temp1 35c
temp2 25c
temp3 44-45c
HD0 31c

problem re started after about 20 mins of running smoothly.

P4 3.06 ht
1 gig ddr 400
GA-sg800 mb

a new motherboard would probably require some one else to do the work.
as i would not trust my self to do it. so there would be labor costs.

i said $400 beacuse the price of the x850pro seemed to be around $380

i am realy leaning towards the X1600 beacue it is some cheeper.

but i don't understand what all the diffrent stats mean on the 2 cards to determain what one does vs the other on the x850pro & x1600pro

this is what i do not understand.

Description: The Radeon X1600 series is designed to deliver outstanding digital entertainment and 3D graphics through its unique ultra-threaded architecture and Avivo video and display technology. The X1600 is CrossFire™ Ready to deliver the ultimate gaming performance. ATI’s Radeon X1600 series transforms your PC with astonishing graphics performance and visual quality, creating a lifelike High Definition (HD) viewing experience with 3D games, DVD movies, and digital photography and video.

Description: The RADEON X850 series is the most extreme gaming graphics card technology ever created by ATI, with up to 16 pipelines, the fastest frame rates and ATI's industry-leading 3D image enhancement technology. The RADEON X850 series delivers further on the promise of High-Definition Gaming.

The X850XT I posted above is much better than the X850Pro, and the X850XT is only $240. The X850XT has 16 pixel pipelines where the X850Pro only has 12. The X1600Pro only has 12 pixelpipelines, the memory is only GDDR2 and it is only 128-bit.
For the cards we have talked about...this is the order from best to worst
1). 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 24-pixelpipes (PCI express) $260
2). X850XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 16-pixel pipelines $240
3). X850PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 12-pixel pipelines $186
4). 1600PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 12-pixel pipelines $123

Here are some links to explain the different stats for video cards
Pixel pipelines
Graphic cards

I just had a look at your temperatures above. One of them is great, probably your CPU (the one at 25c) but it is hard to tell what temp1 and temp3 are, as speedfan changes order depending on the motherboard. Forgot it does that.

Download and run everest home edition please:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/433-everest-ultimate-edition.html

then click on the "sensors" and tell us what it is reporting. We need your temps after your system has been resting for 10 mins, then another reading after you have been gaming for about 10-20 mins.

but i don't understand what all the diffrent stats mean on the 2 cards to determain what one does vs the other on the x850pro & x1600pro

Both cards do pretty much the same thing, it is just that one does things much faster than the other. Here is a great website for comparing cards against each other and comparing how fast they are for gaming:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

ok that bit on the pixial piplines help. i guess that matters more than the cards ram 512 vs 256??

From what i have been seeing on diffternt forums around, the x800/x850's will be faster but the x1600 will have a better pic????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back