Thinking about a dual connection....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Say i have one connection (to a network or internet) at Xspeed. If i use two of them would i get 2Xspeed?.

How would i go about connecting 2 or 3 etc... connections to a machine. a switch?

The actual units i would be using are... http://www.nera.no/844AED60C2F14035C1256A300054A93D.shtml

What im getting at, is if i use more of these units, would my bandwidth increase, and would i be able to stream video?
Thanks Everyone

No, that is of no use at all.
Your best (and only) bet is to get a faster broadband connection, 512Kb, 1Mb, or 2Mb.
On a network (not the internet), you can get speeds up to 1 Gigabit, provided all PCs have a Gigabit port or card. Otherwise the standard 100 Mbit is pretty quick.

Your device is no faster than dual ISDN, when you put 2 of them together (128Kb), pretty slow by today's standards.

Cheers for replying.

Im not looking to get Superfast speeds, just enough to deliver decent video. Thing is im going to be doing it from, well i dont know yet, its for remote broadcast...
Im trying to think up a kit, as small as possiable (a suitcase) that will give me access to IP from anywhere.

Even if you bought several 128k links (not sure if you can do this - it may be a technical limitation of the satellite system itself and not the marketing policy of Nera) the max speed for a single TCP connection would still be 128k. You would be able to put out two 128k streams not one 256k.

That is if you don't negotiate some special routing policy/IP addresses from Nera and set up some kickass router/Linux to handle several uplinks..

Having a dual connection is nice if you download a lot. You can use one connection for dedicated downloads, and another for surfing, e-mail, etc.

Apart from that, really if you want after speeds you need to increase the speed of the connection you have.

fishhookz, did you even look at the thing niceday is going to use? It's a satellite kit usable anywhere around the globe. It kind of beats a landline in any single country.

This is actually a fairly complicated question. I don't know if I completely understand what you are trying to do but here is a wordy answer anyway.

Networking in a standard LAN/WAN topology:
On your standard run of the mill LAN/WAN network trunking switchports into etherchannels is a common practice. Many L3 core switches have ethechannels. Cisco provides etherchannels on their L3 switches up to 800mbps on a 10/100 switch. The thing here is that an end machine is not plugged into this. Even a 10/100/1000 NIC doesn't know what an 800mbps pipe is. Other switches that support this technology uplink to the etherchannels to increase bandwidth typically between VLANs. That being said it does absolutely nothing to increase the number of NICs in the client PC. You are just getting separate interfaces for no real purpose.

With an internet connection such as a T1 there are products out that bond Ts on the customer's side. That is to say that if I have an office that has 2 T1s I can buy a product that will bond them to make essentially one pipe. the issue here is that you don't get to choose which T gets what traffic. This is what I suspect is used to bond 2 of those satelite receivers together. The only way to filter destination traffic that I know of is easiest done through color code routing on a Layer 3 switch. However, in this instance you would not be able to bond the units together unless you could still plug them in individually as you would need to know what port on the switch to send traffic to for the specific device.

In any case the highest throughput you are going to get out of that unit is 128k. It only supports one link. Also, good luck getting that speed out of satelite transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back