Thinking of buying a new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punkid

i am looking to buy a new hard disk soon,willing to spend a little less than 100$ on a 1TB drive, internal...plz give me suggestions about what i should buy

The WD1001FALS should be your best choice. It's available for about $100 shipped on most sites, and I believe ZZF sells it with a $15 MIR.

oooo i checked and WD1001FALS is a pretty sexy piece of hard drive...but i cant buy off the internet , i am going to buy it from some local shop ,i jst hope that they have this model and it costs under 100$ .......7200 rpm and 32 mb cache is great :D ....is there any other drive which is equally good and a bit cheaper?

The Samsung SpinPoint F1 is a notch below the WD drive, mainly due to its smaller warranty period. Performance is as good, and even better in some cases.

coool,i checked on a benchmark site, WD1001FALS had a score of 111.0 and HD103UJ had 109.0 , thats great ,both drivers are quite close to the top,i jst hope that i find one of these models from a local dealer and for a reasonable price,is there anything else that i can go for if these arent available?

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB and the Hitachi DeskStar 7K1000 1TB would be the only alternatives I'd recommend.

aight thanks alot Rage, i think my first prefference would be the WD1001FALS forsure , next wud be the samsung spinpoint :D

ok something just worried me...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

read the comments....one guy says it will fail and blabla bla.....what does he mean???
So one drive failed. Does that mean Western Digital should close the company? Quality control on theses HDDs is better than 99%, the warranty is 5 years. Besides, only the people who have problems post reviews most frequently. I've never had a drive fail in 4 years. The WD in the computer I'm using is 4 1/2 years old.
and i forgot to mention that i already have a 320gb SATA connected to my PC and my PSU is 350watt.....will i need to upgrade anything to connect a Caviar Black WD1001FALS?
Probably not, the HDD should draw less than 20 watts.

However, that assumes that it is a decent brand. You might want to consider a better PSU as your next investment.
Just as an example; http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058 50001459&name=Corsair Memory OR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

my power supply is the stock one that came with my casing....is it NECESSARY to replace it OR is it RECOMMENDED?

Most PSUs that come with a case are terrible. One notable exception would be some "Antec" cases, that come with an "Earthwatts" PSU.
All PSUs lose their ratings over time, so to maintain actual specification, the life span is only around 3 years anyway.

Many PSUs fail, and take out the motherboard when they do. So, the PSU is the last place you should skimp on quality.

Should, must, and can, are all related to your financial status, which is, well, none of my business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back