This $119 HDMI cable has an embedded digital signal processor that can remove aliasing

midian182

Staff member

Costly HDMI cables that promise to drastically improve picture quality have been around for years, but there’s often no discernible difference between the images they provide and those from cheaper products. Marseille’s mCable Gaming Edition, however, seems to be an exception. It’s a $119 HDMI that features a built-in advanced graphics post-processing engine.

One end of cable features an additional USB connector that powers the cable’s embedded digital signal processor, which allows contextual anti-aliasing and adaptive resolution scaling. It also supports 1080p framerates up to 120 fps and has a sub-1ms lag.

While this all sounds like it could be nothing but more empty promises (I.e., lies) from HDMI makers, it turns out that this particular cable really can do what it claims. YouTube channel Linus Tech Tips found it improved both game and video output (check out the video below) through its anti-aliasing and upscaling abilities, while PCPerspective also found a "noticeable difference in image quality" without introducing any lag.

The mCable can be used with PC games and could be an asset for those with an underpowered GPU — as long as they’re willing to pay the high price. It’s also useful for older titles that lack AA options. But it’s primarily targeted toward console owners who don’t have adjustable graphics settings in their games.

“Aliasing is made worse by limited GPU resources in current game console platforms. Rendered resolution achieved in the console is not sufficient,” writes Marseille, meaning that an outside-the-box solution is required.

The company captured some images showing the difference in quality between its cable and a standard HDMI. The picture below is taken from a PlayStation 3.

And this is one from an Xbox 360:

"Gaming consoles have a problem: they can't draw very well," explained Marseille. "Even if they’re high powered, they still miss a lot of key details because all processors are physically limited, leading to insufficient sampling resolution and framerate, which leads to common 'artifacts' such as jagged edges and shimmering textures."

The mCable Gaming Edition starts at $119 for the 3-foot version and goes up to $139 for a 9-foot cable.

Permalink to story.

So how long until the tech is adopted or incorporated into all or most new or future HDMI cables and cost takes a bump or companies start to include one with purchase?

it's just sharpening everything and changing the contrast and saturation.
Yes, I get that, but I can still see Sony and Microsoft bundling one in with future deals in an attempt to get the best from their consoles.

This is 10 years late because aliasing with 4K or better is not a problem anymore unless it's for a very very huge screen.

I saw Linus review and was pretty impressed, although I would go to the "put that money in a better GPU" route; still pretty good for consoles.

Yes, I get that, but I can still see Sony and Microsoft bundling one in with future deals in an attempt to get the best from their consoles.
Why on earth would they do that? Wouldn't it be a lot more feasible, cheaper and just plain simple logic to incorporate that tech into the console itself if they ever felt the need?

Why on earth would they do that? Wouldn't it be a lot more feasible, cheaper and just plain simple logic to incorporate that tech into the console itself if they ever felt the need?
Why on earth would they not do that?

Whats the point in incorporating the tech into their own devices which would inevitably cost monies when the can simply do a deal with whoever provides these new HDMI cables? Personally, I don't think it would be cheaper, either way through its feasible.

Plus the tech would need to be in the next iteration of there consoles, not so if they simply bundle the things into a deal.

Why on earth would they not do that?

Whats the point in incorporating the tech into their own devices which would inevitably cost monies when the can simply do a deal with whoever provides these new HDMI cables? Personally, I don't think it would be cheaper, either way through its feasible.

Plus the tech would need to be in the next iteration of there consoles, not so if they simply bundle the things into a deal.
You have something there. But these are big, all powerful, all conquering monolithic companies that don't give a stuff about the little innovative ones and don't want to sing their praises so they'll quickly buy them out using the change they found that accidentally fell out of their pockets in between the cushions of their sofas in their plush offices. So instead of buying tons of cables from them at a price they'll likely frown upon, then advertise to the world that they'll be using 3rd party cables, they'll just buy their tech, silently slip it into the current crop of machines still awaiting production without any fanfare and only briefly mention 'the new feature' in passing. The beauty of it all is the price of consoles won't be raised at all.

Sony and Microsoft will both have moved to native 4K console platforms in the near future anyway. There is a reason why the cable was tested on a PS3 and Xbox 360, because that future you speak of aliasing is considerably less of a problem.

Back