This application has failed to start because the application configuration is...

ussyless

hi, so lately i've been uninstalling and reinstalling my drivers and software and all of the sudden i get this error when i try to load up certain programs

this application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect
i've already tried reinstalling microsoft c++ end user runtime or whatever it is, anyone know what else it could be

Check your drivers at the manufacturer's website, or the motherboard manufacturer's website...
You might want to update or restore your BIOS as a start, but the problem is not uncommon.

well *** i noted in the title i have been updating my drivers recently, so they are all up to date from the official websites, not sure what bios has to do with it though

Well, you haven't described your brand or model, or comptuer age, or motherboard... so I am guessing.
Lots of corrections to malperforming sytems are made through a BIOS update... and if you have a problem created through electronic misfeasance or malfeasance, some very few times, the BIOS update will straighten out the error patches.

Also, of the years, we have found that going back to an earlier version of some drivers is helpful.

From where I set, I couldn't see what reinstalling microsoft c++ end user runtime would do to fix it.

some more information, after looking at the event viewer, i found this message
"
Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
"
vc80.crt is related to the windows c++ runtime

Did you try just reinstalling the application? I see this alot with Avast's latest flavor of their software - for whatever reason it just doesn't install correctly the first time and sure enough, upon launch, that's the error message I get.

Have to uninstall, and then reinstall again and usually on the second try, whatever didn't copy properly the first time, took the second time.

ill try but it is happening in more than one app, perhaps if i reinstall wlm ( one app that its occuring on) it will repair the error by itself

BEFORE YOU FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS, ITS BEST THAT YOU SEND ME A PM AND WAIT FOR ME TO GUIDE YOU THROUGH IT
OK i've repaired this problem, heres how to do it for future reference
after painstakingly uninstalling and reinstalling all of my .net framework packages, i no longer got the errors
after uninstalling your packages, or as many as it lets you, run the microsoft .net cleanup tool
found here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx
and then use the following link to download and install your packages manually (not via windows updates)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
you will want to bookmark this link as you will have to restart a few times and you wont want to lose it, you will use the links there as reference to the filenames of your .net installs ( you have to do it in order, 1.0-3.5) and the filenames arent exactly obvious to the setup version
if you get an error when installing .net 1.0 service pack 3, skip it and move to 1.1
if you get an error on 1.1 install ( cant remember if it was 1.1 or 1.1 sp2 that i got it) go to c:/windows/winSxS and MOVE the folder "policies" to your desktop and try to install it again
finish installing packages, and then transplant the policies files back, not overwriting the new ones
and then its fixed!

if this helps someone else in the future, send me a pm ;)

Hi ussyless

Glad you found a fix! :)

Hope you never have that problem again! But here's another resource that might also apply to those types of errors See [post=897892] How to Fix Visual C++ Library Missing / SidebySide Application Failed to Start Errors[/post]

yeah i was googling for a solution for about 3 hours and ended up just run-and-gunning it, wouldent be surprised if google redirects a few hits here

Well, i woulda tried to help if only i say your post earlier!!!

But good job in finding fix :grinthumb as those C++ errors can be quite a pain to resolve. (But if it ever does occur again, i found that getting specific info from the Windows Event Log and googling as outlined in my link.. can help one find the exact C++ library that went missing!)

In any case, glad you're working again! :)

speaking of witch, it seems avast wont launch now, due to the same error >.>

mabey its beacause i skipped net 1.0 sp3 >.>

1) I'd make sure all the net framwork stuff is installed first

2) Then you might also try the basic uninstall/reinstall of Avast

3) If problem continues, then you need to look in the Windows Application Event Log for the error message (see my link). I;m off to bed.. but if you post the error message in the App Log about Avast failing to start and the details in the mesage, i could take a further look sometime tomorrow. Nite. ZZZZZzzzzzz

ok techies i've figured it out, instead of deleting the policies folder all together, move it to another location, then move it back once you've installed all your .net framework stuff

Back