This is Las Vegas through the lens of an infrared-modified Sony RX100 IV

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Word broke just the other day that Olympus had developed a prototype image sensor capable of capturing both visible (color) and near-infrared light. I spoke briefly about my experiences with infrared photography but never had I dabbled into the world of infrared videography as Philip Bloom has.

Bloom, a world-renowned filmmaker, notes in a recent blog post that he now owns three cameras that have been physically modified to shoot infrared by removing the infrared blocking filters and replacing them with infrared pass filters of various strengths. He picked up the third camera, a Sony RX100 IV, in Las Vegas while in town on business and decided to experiment a bit.

One thing led to another and this is what he ended up with. If you're at all interested in infrared photography, I'd highly recommend checking out some of Bloom's earlier posts on the matter.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Sorry, Bloom.

I don't see the difference. How is this any different from taking an, admittedly decent, regular shot and colour filtering it in post?

If you're going to shoot in IR, cool. But remap the spectrum into colour. Show me things I can't normally see. For example, a lot of flowers have markings in UV for bees to see. Like little landing patterns.

edit: Also, 650nm is not IR. Humans can see weakly up to ~800nm. A cut-on 800+nm would be "true" IR.

Before anybody brings it up.. No, infrared has nothing to do with heat. It's the spectrum of light below red that humans typically can't see.

And I agree.. Would have been much more interesting to see a wider infrared range re-mapped directly into our visible spectrum. This 'eerie' infrared effect doesn't really do infrared photography any justice..

Back