This is ridiculous...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTM Rider

Im going to be building a new computer soon for gaming and have been pricing around for parts for quite some time now. Im just getting the tower and all the components in it to make it a proficient gaming setup, no other accessories like a monitor or keyboard, stuff like that. so anyways, I've priced around and for a graphics card I was planning on buying a 8800 GT, a 550 watt power supply, an adequate intel processor, and for motherboards anything in the $150 price range. in all my searchs ive come up to a total of around $900 which is pretty much my maximum pricerange. I called up a local computer store near me to find parts and price everything for me just so that i can compare and he gave me an estimate of about $1,000 to $1,200. I know that i can get the whole set up for much cheaper, i just want a rig that can play crysis, not on the best settings but still kind of high. am i just gettin ripped off here or what?

Is this supplying parts only?
Or building it too?

Either way the local computer store are also supplying you their name and warranty (I know it's manufactures warranty - but you will usually go back to them if any fault; and they may send it in for you)

Therefore a local computer shop must mark up the price, to give you support (for free) if anything goes wrong. Also they're local, ie you are not getting parts in the mail.

Another point is that if you buy through the local computer store and then come back (weeks or months later) they will provide good support on their provided products.

Its happened to me too, where customers buy elsewhere then come to me and say the hardware doesn't work (not faulty, just incompatible) Sadly I can not help them, as the parts weren't from me, and warranty is not valid because of incompatibilty issues

That's why :)

You are too lazy to order and build the system yourself and you are complaining about the estimate being higher than what you parted it out as?

I would never build a computer for anyone except family 'at cost'.

when did i ever complain about building it myself? im GOING to build it myself, that price didnt include the fee of putting it together, it would cost an extra $100 for them to do it, screw that. so dont go running your mouth before you know whats going on. and yea, i know that warranty fees and other stuff applies, but like i said, all i did was ask them to PRICE things for me, i was comparing remember? this is just if i were to get all the parts, which they're ripping me off on........and i live in Kazakhstan btw lol

"before I know whats going on"? Where in your post did you explain "whats going on" you said " I called up a local computer store near me to find parts and price everything for me just so that i can compare and he gave me an estimate of about $1,000 to $1,200."

So, when you say that, and don't say you are only looking to get the parts through them and build yourself then of course I have to make an assumption when replying.

Also if I'm running a buisness I've probably got specific places I order my parts from, then I'm not going to sell them to a consumer at cost, if I was going to do that I might as well close up shop because I'm obviously not making any money.

So I think its crazy for you to expect some local shop to search out parts, order them, then sell them to you cheaper than you can shop around online and get them.

So maybe you are the one that shouldn't be running your mouth unless you are going to explain things better from the start.

Ok shaggy, mr technical hot shot. i didnt ask for the final price, i asked for the prices online, before i would even order them, i asked him specifically for that, i know i didnt mention it but then again i should of known that there are still pricks like you around who have to talk crap and feel superior to others on a forum where all im looking for is help. i know all about profit, im not dumb, i take business courses, try to understand that i just asked the guy to find parts online and see if he found a cheaper setup than i did, with OUT the fees of them ordering it and making money on it, ok? we clear? good. now it's explained so no more nonsense from you, id just like help if thats too much to ask for nowadays, tyvm

KTM Rider said:
Ok shaggy, mr technical hot shot. i didnt ask for the final price, i asked for the prices online, before i would even order them, i asked him specifically for that, i know i didnt mention it but then again i should of known that there are still pricks like you around who have to talk crap and feel superior to others on a forum where all im looking for is help. i know all about profit, im not dumb, i take business courses, try to understand that i just asked the guy to find parts online and see if he found a cheaper setup than i did, with OUT the fees of them ordering it and making money on it, ok? we clear? good. now it's explained so no more nonsense from you, id just like help if thats too much to ask for nowadays, tyvm

Quoting prices "online" might very well not yield the same results across the board, as it has been suggested here, the person you asked for the quote probably has specific outlets he deals with for his purchases.

That said, this is not your friend quoting you prices, regardless of whether you asked how much the components were before his charges is likely irrelevant. He probably has a flat 10-15% mark-up which he advertises as the retail price. Why? If he were to reveal what they really cost he would only be getting the labor fees in the end. You can always talk someone down, you cannot talk them up.

Business courses or not sir, you are foolish.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnope, im not foolish cuz i didnt buy the computer setup there buddy ;D and forget this, all i want is for people to give me comp setup suggestions but i guess thats not gonna happen, thx for the let down

You already had a thread on this here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100185.html

Then there are MANY threads all over the forums on builds. Even if their budget isn't exactly yours its pretty easy to drop the processor to a lower cost one, or increase it depending. Same with all the other hardware, so with a bit of searching and modifying what others have already done you can get your system's components figured out.

Here are some:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic96443.html
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100085.html
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic96443.html
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic97705.html
ect

Next time you approach a situation for help, try not to make yourself out to be an unreasonable person by suggesting a local operation is ridiculous for wanting to mark their prices up a tad. Furthermore, it also doesn't help your cause when you're calling a moderator "shaggy" and "mr. technical hot shot", followed by basically telling him to get lost.

I am sure you're a nice guy but it doesn't show with your posts here. You come off to be very immature.

thank you, thats all i really wanted to know. i want to find out the average cost of like computer parts i need since im still new at like computer parts. i want a comp that can run crysis not on like the highest settings but still good......and i cant afford anything over a grand lol

all i want is for people to give me comp setup suggestions
A new question now !

But you haven't thanked everyone for giving you free help information on your original question (now seemingly resolved)

Note: it is better to thank people for their free advise, rather than argue with them.

Edit:

You have thanked (just above my post)
I was posting when you did

yer right, sry dude, i read yours and was happy then read the other post calling me lazy and forgot to thank you lol. but i do appreciate it truly, you dont have to help me and you did and that makes coming to this site worthwild. so thanks =] and yea....sure prick is a curse word or racist term.......if i offend anyone with a swear or racial remark then you can criticize my english vocab

This thread has gone far enough. I should have merged it into your other right from the start but at the time I didn't know you had already asked basically the same question. So I'm now closing this, if you still feel you have unresolved issues after looking at all the links I provided to you then you can post back in your other thread here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100185.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back