Thoughts on new build -- future upgrades?

What do you think about my build?

• Total voters

Dunn11

Hi everyone!​
This is my first post on this site! In no way, shape, or fashion do I consider myself to be an expert; just this past November, I built my first desktop gaming PC. I ordered the parts and did it myself; it took me 10 hours for everything to be completely setup and running smoothly; I know that 10 hours is a lonnnngggg time, but I wanted to make sure everything was perfect before I turned it on. I usually play Battlefield 3 and League of Legends on a regular basis.​
Here are my specs:​
1. Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case​
2. Windows 7 64-bit​
3. ASUS P8Z77-V LK -- Intel Z77​
4. Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40 GHz​
5. Corsair Hydro H70 CORE CPU Liquid Cooler​
6. EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti SSC 2GB​
7. Kingston 16GB 1600MHz DDR3​
8. OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SATA III 2.5" SSD​
9. Toshiba 1TB 7200rpm 3.5" SATA​
10. Lite ON 24X DVDRW SATA OEM​
11. Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 Modular 700W PSU​
Since The Witcher 3 was announced, I have been absolutely excited and it has made me ponder what I will need to upgrade a year or so down the road. Since I am very new to this, any advice and suggestions you have on my current build and future upgrades would be awesome!​
Thanks,​
Dunn​

How much did that complete build end up costing you?
It cost around $1500, but that was with the monitor, keyboard, speakers, and an extended warranty on some of the critical parts. The essential components were about $1,200.

I'll post a picture when I get home

It cost around $1500, but that was with the monitor, keyboard, speakers, and an extended warranty on some of the critical parts. The essential components were about $1,200.
Yeah, that's a great setup. Not too shabby :p Do you ever plan on overclocking?
Also, I just finished building my first rig last week so I know them feels about making your first one :D It's a thrill.

I'll post a picture when I get home
Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

Yeah, that's a great setup. Not too shabby :p Do you ever plan on overclocking?
Also, I just finished building my first rig last week so I know them feels about making your first one :D It's a thrill.

Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

Yea the first boot was awesome! I have overclocked it, the ASUS software has an overclocking tool that does it for me automatically and I think it was stable at about 4.4 GHz give or take. It has been a while since I looked at it.

It's pretty darn good. The only thing I would have changed, is to spend a little less on ram (get 8gb) and CPU cooler (get an EVO) and put that money towards getting a more powerful GPU. You'll probably find that the GPU will be the first thing you have to upgrade, but that is probably the easiest upgrade to do :D

As I said, great build :)

It's pretty darn good. The only thing I would have changed, is to spend a little less on ram (get 8gb) and CPU cooler (get an EVO) and put that money towards getting a more powerful GPU. You'll probably find that the GPU will be the first thing you have to upgrade, but that is probably the easiest upgrade to do :D

As I said, great build :)
Thanks! Yea I actually looked up some other GPUs today. I thought that I could do a bridge with another 650 Ti, which would be cheaper, but the 650 Ti doesn't have that capability. :( So I might upgrade to a 670, because the 680 only has a 4% increase from the 670. For the cooling, the H70 has been keeping my CPU at about 28/30 idle and 38 in game, so it has been great. I think having a have a push pull fan setup on the rad helps a lot. Thanks for the suggestion!

Looks awesome dude :cool:

If you're upgrading the GPU, I'd go for a Radeon 7950 or even a 7970 over the 670. They tend to be better value and give better performance.

Congrats on your first build. :) Looks good.

The only thing that will need replacing any time soon is the GPU as mentioned. Keep it until it starting to struggle for you.

I know that 10 hours is a lonnnngggg time, but I wanted to make sure everything was perfect before I turned it on.​
Nothing wrong with taking your time and getting it right instead of posting here about how your temps are too high or the machine keeps blue screening because you rushed through it. Great job for a first build - Looks pretty clean!

For the cooling, the H70 has been keeping my CPU at about 28/30 idle and 38 in game, so it has been great. I think having a have a push pull fan setup on the rad helps a lot
That's crazy cool! Is this with the CPU overclocked? Anyways, nice build!

Looks awesome, what I would have changed is probably added in a higher end GPU since the Witcher 3 will probably gain the title as did Witcher 2 as most demanding game of its time. Also may I ask why a Vertex 3 not 4? Wasn't the Vertex 4 a big improvement?

I bet it's because of the Super aggressive sale on the vertex 3 recently. They were virtually giving it away for free.

Back