Thunder storm took out my PC, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I was online today when lightning sounded like it struck the building. My comp clicked and shut off along with one of my lights across the room (not plugged into same source). I checked the circuit breakers for the house and they were fine, comp however was totally dead, no sound no led's no nothing. I took the PSU out and plugged it into the wall by itself to see if it would come on. It didnt. Someone said I could short out the green and black wires on the mobo plug to get it to run up. Well the fan ran up. I plugged a power cable into the hard drive and shorted it out again and the HD ran up along with the PSU. But with nothing shorted out, nothing runs up at all. Itry re connecting to the mobo and nothing happens. My surge protecter didnt trip at all, my printer, and other comp work fine, my mobo seems to be ok by looking at it, and nothing in the case seems to smell or look burnt, but nothing works. Is it likely my PSU or my mobo or what?

The PSU is some generic PSU, Sparkle is the name, 250w.

Any help at all is appreciated.

Thx.

try a new power supply. but first remove your modem that could be your main problem. if a power spike came down the line your modem would have been the first to be fried. dont worry about your motherboard it is pretty resiliant to power fluctuations to a small degree. try that.

If the power supply still works (jumping it sort of proves this theory), then most likely the motherboard is bad.

This would be very odd though, since usually the PSU will go bad.. And if the board does go bad, the PSU usually goes with it.

Also, your PSU powering on may or may not be solid proof it still works properly. It may be damaged in such a way that only delivers a small amount of power... Perhaps not enough to power your system.

The only way to be sure is to connect a new power supply to your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back