Tidal has reportedly been lying about its subscriber numbers

midian182

Staff member

It seems that Tidal is once again having issues with reporting accurate subscriber numbers. This time, a report from Norwegian newspaper Dagens Næringsliv claims that the music streaming service hugely inflated figures it was reporting to the media and investors.

Staff at the paper said it obtained internal reports from Tidal, which was previously owned by Norwegian media company Schibsted ASA, that show only 350,000 people were signed up to the service in September 2015 - the same month co-owner Jay Z tweeted that Tidal had gone platinum after reaching one million subscribers.

More alleged misrepresentation arrived back in March when Tidal announced its subscriber numbers had passed the 3 million milestone. The Scandinavian publication says the company’s monthly payment report to record labels shows the real figure was actually 850,000. This happened during the same month that Tidal fired both its CFO Chris Hart and COO Nils Juell over a dispute regarding subscriber numbers, according to Swedish news outlet Breakit.

Last March, Jay Z filed a lawsuit against Tidal’s former owners for lying about how many subscribers it had during the negotiation process. The 540,000 figure Schibsted ASA put forward is said to have been greatly exaggerated. As noted by The Verge, Dagens Næringsliv reports that those lawsuits have “not materialized” as of yet.

Tidal continues to lag way behind the two big music streaming services – Spotify and Apple Music. The release of Kanye West’s Life of Pablo and Beyonce’s Lemonade was a high point for the service, but since then its figures have reportedly fallen.

Permalink to story.

This is not really interesting lol, but it did bring up a question I've had for some time, they always talk about Spotify and Apple music as the big in the industries, but what about Google Music and Amazon Streaming service? How are they all faring?

Lies about market data have existed ever since marketing started writing them down. Even the formerly famous Arbatron Ratings have come under fire from time to time. As long as there is a buck to be made, people are going to look for ways to cheat ......

This is not really interesting lol, but it did bring up a question I've had for some time, they always talk about Spotify and Apple music as the big in the industries, but what about Google Music and Amazon Streaming service? How are they all faring?

I use Spotify premium and the free version of Google music all the time. Spotify is great for new releases and creating playlists and browsing what others have created, but it doesnt do much for the local music I actually own. I use Google music cause they allow you to upload your personal library and listen to it anywhere.

I use Spotify premium and the free version of Google music all the time. Spotify is great for new releases and creating playlists and browsing what others have created, but it doesnt do much for the local music I actually own. I use Google music cause they allow you to upload your personal library and listen to it anywhere.
I have an account with Google Music, and I've found music that I couldn't on Spotify (Only a couple things). I do love and miss how you could control another device playback that had Spotify open.

What caught my attention is the fact that it's not considered a big in the industry. So I'm interested in knowing a bit more about how it's positioned.

I use spotify most of the time IF I stream...also Amazon music, since it comes with Prime.
It's easy for me to find music...I guess you could call me an "oldies". Most of the music I listen to is
from the 70's and 80's (classic rock, blues, southern rock, classic country).
Once in a while I'll hear a new one I like on the FM radio and will add it to the list.
Downday is one I've recently taken a liking to.

Back