Tokyo scientists have created the first 'biohybrid' robot

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Scientists at the University of Tokyo have fabricated a robot that moves using live muscle tissue from rats. They call the cyborg-like appendage a “biohybrid robot.”

The researchers published a paper in the academic journal Science Robotics that outlines the functionality of the creepy device and how they produced it. The robot itself is very rudimentary. It is basically a finger (or two) with a single point of movement.

However, its simplicity does not hinder its functionality. The video above shows the robot manipulating and lifting objects. The scientists say that this is just the “groundwork” for creating more advanced, lifelike robots.

“If we can combine more of these muscles into a single device, we should be able to reproduce the complex muscular interplay that allows hands, arms, and other parts of the body to function,” said project lead Shoji Takeuchi.

Personally, I’m not sure I’m onboard with his vision.

Permalink to story.

Well another point of view is all those without hands, fingers can now have a chance to have a fully working robotic one. Progress with them here we just worry about your Credit Score, Gas Prices and the Weather. I haven't seen any development in anything except how to make us all fro more money and less pay.

Well another point of view is all those without hands, fingers can now have a chance to have a fully working robotic one. Progress with them here we just worry about your Credit Score, Gas Prices and the Weather. I haven't seen any development in anything except how to make us all fro more money and less pay.
That this is barely a proof of concept should be self evident. Considering that any cybernetic organism would require full life support capability for any organic components. In the case of merging rat tissue with a human host, the rejection and biological incompatibilities are somewhere near insurmountable.

Accordingly, capabilities already present in some animals for limb regeneration, combined with stem cell research, could provide similar possibilities. Limb regeneration is obviously a genetic trait. So, DNA research with gene splicing is an avenue of approach.

Although granted, incorporation of animal characteristics into human DNA is a sci-fi plot device which has been done to death.

Creepy!

It look slike this project immersed in some fluid?

They are living cells, so they only work in water at the moment. I presume to support their cell membranes and be electrically activated by conduction. I imagine they degrade quickly though.

Back