TOSHIBA modem not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a toshiba satellite A20 and recently i had to format my C drive. i re-installed XP and then realised, because my laptop came pre-installed with XP, that all the TOSHIBA stuff that was originally on there was gone. so i went to the website and downloaded the modem drivers. i unzipped and it and asked me if i want to install drivers and i said yes. Then it would start doing it and then it would get to about 80% or so then just disappear!!! I thought it just finished really quickly but then nothing had changed.

I cant even see my modem and i am getting really frustrated with it. anyone no why the installer thing is just stopping or canceling? or does someone no how to get the modem working? thanks in advance.

Hi, nowadays laptops are becoming more advanced even in driver installation, before u install all other drives,u have to install the north bridge or chipset or system or SMBUS drivers so that it cant activate the rest.there u wil be able to see your modem and instal its drivers.wish u luck. Robin

You have to be real careful and download the proper driver for the type of modem in your system. There may be more than one modem type for your model

thanks for your replies. in fact i believe there was something wrong with toshibas modem driver, i went to another drivers website and found the one i was looking for. downloaded and installed it and now its all working rather good. thanks for your replies though. :)

jaysonic said:
thanks for your replies. in fact i believe there was something wrong with toshibas modem driver, i went to another drivers website and found the one i was looking for. downloaded and installed it and now its all working rather good. thanks for your replies though. :)
I am also having a problem installing newer version of a Toshiba Software modem. I've been download it from Toshiba Support.

If you believe the problem is Toshiba's site and you found a different site which provides the same driver (and you found it works!), can you please post the site for the rest of us?

The same advise goes for you LookinAround...

Go back to your Toshiba models support website and carefully search for the proper model's modem driver and install it. If you can't do this, post your Toshiba's model number and we'll search for you

OK. Is this the driver Toshiba shows for the model?

I'll give you the detail of what i did. Tell me if you see something wrong with this picture or what you might find.

I volunteered to work on a friend's laptop
  • It's a Toshiba Satellite M35X-S1111
  • It currently uses: Toshiba Software Modem driver v2.1.38.0 2-20-2004
  1. I started at www.toshiba.com, followed some links, entered the model number above and eventually came to this model's Home Page. (Red letters in upper left of the page says "TOSHIBA Satellite M35X-S111"
  2. I click the link labeled "48 Downloads". It displays the Download page for this model (I see the model # still displayed in uper left)
  3. One of the items listed on this Downloads Page:
    "Date: 06-01-2006 Driver Modem: Toshiba Software Modem Driver for Windows XP v2.1.63; 05-26-2006
  4. I click it and Toshiba's download details are pretty sparse. Basically
    it says
    • Download file named "ta8mdm_24549.exe"
    • Download file is a self-installing ZIP file
    • Under Applicable Models says "Satellite All" followed by some additonal specific model numbers. But the M35X-S111 still apears as the model number in upper left and it does say "Satellite ALL". So i'm thinking it should be applicable
  5. I then wasted much time in repeated attempts to get this "self-installing" file to install so that after reinstalling Toshiba Software modem I'd see its driver use the new v.2.1.63 version. But that never happens. The old version keeps gettting reinstalled. So, I next
    • Start using Device Manager to try uninstalling things by hand first
    • Trace down the .inf and .pnf files the installer uses when it reinstalls v2.1.38. I locate the two original files plus the two oem files (in Windows/inf directory) which get generated during the device install process.
    • I RENAME these files so Windows won't find them and can't install v2.1.38. This will finally force Windows to look where i want it to.
    • Using Add Hardware Wizard I point to the directory containing the newer v.2.1.63 device install files. The Wizard quickly returns an error message: My device is not supported by the .inf file for this driver.
  6. Using a device driver tool i dumped all the device IDs to a file i included below.

This is first time i went to a Toshiba Support site. It seems pretty lacking for many reasons. Or am I missing something??? Would certainly want to know if it is my screw up and something was overlooked.

Code:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C6&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&FE
    Name: PCI Modem
    Hardware ID's:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C6&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_03
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C6&SUBSYS_00011179
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C6&CC_070300
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C6&CC_0703
    Compatible ID's:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C6&REV_03
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C6
    PCI\VEN_8086&CC_070300
    PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0703
    PCI\VEN_8086
    PCI\CC_070300
    PCI\CC_0703

I think Toshiba screwed this one up

Thank you for the reply but this is the same download page as the one i was using. Compare items 3 and 4 in my last post to the driver info found following your link
  • Driver name, version and date are identical
    "Date: 06-01-2006 Driver Modem: Toshiba Software Modem Driver for Windows XP v2.1.63; 05-26-2006"
  • The filename for Toshiba;s download file is identical "ta8mdm_24549.exe"
I think Toshiba screwed this one up. The new driver won't install and replace the old driver for all M35X-S111 computers. This fact isn't indicated or at all clear in Toshiba's documentation nor, I think, implied by the fact that they've only changed the minor part of the version number (v2.1.38 -> v2.1.63).

Here's some detail why:
I downloaded both versions of the Toshiba driver (v2.1.38 and v2.1.63) and looked at the modem setup file in each (filename: AGRMDwxp.inf)
  • v2.1.63 setup file defines only one ID.
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11C1&DEV_3026&SUBSYS_11790001
    (It might look like there are more IDs defined in the file but look closely. The others are all commented out!)
  • v2.1.38 setup file defines multiple IDs. One of them matches the Device ID of the original modem that came with the laptop
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C6&SUBSYS_00011179
From the IDs in each version, I'm guessing the newer driver is intended for the newer digital audio modem hardware

This is a real old thread so probably no one will see it but just in case someone else is interested, here is what I did:

I was having the same problem as the OP in this thread and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out why the modem driver ta8mdm_24549.exe from Toshiba would not install! After reading all the posts I could find I finally tried to install the original driver which came with my laptop from this link and it went in immediately with no problem. Now I don't have that big yellow question mark in my device manager hardware list anymore.

Well it won't let me post a link yet but if anyone is interested just add http: in front of this:

findfiles.com/list.php?string=sa70mdmx.exe&size=1046760&db=Mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back