Toyota is developing a long-range, fast-charging electric car that'll use solid-state...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Toyota is reportedly developing an electric car that’ll be powered by a new type of solid-state battery that sounds leaps and bounds ahead of those used in today’s EVs.

Reuters, citing a report from the Chunichi Shimbun daily (a Japanese newspaper), says the car will be built on an all-new platform with a target sale date of 2022. The solid-state batteries would offer significantly improved driving range and could be recharged in just a few minutes.

A Tesla connected to one of the company’s Supercharging stations, for comparison, can take upwards of 80 minutes to provide a full charge.

A spokesperson for Toyota declined to comment specifically on this story but told the paper that it aims to commercialize solid-state batteries by the early 2020s.

Solid-state batteries, as the name suggests, use solid electrolytes rather than liquid versions like those found in current lithium-ion batteries. Among other benefits, solid electrolytes are safer to operate.

Whether for personal electronics like smartphones or larger applications such as vehicles, it feels as though we’ve been on the cusp of a big battery breakthrough for years. Indeed, whoever is first to crack the nut and bring a highly efficient battery technology (or even wireless charging at length) to market stands to make a boatload of cash. With any luck, it’ll happen sooner rather than later.

Permalink to story.

This, this, THIS. Finally, a car company is fast-tracking superior engineering to get us into the post oil era. I hope they can build these cars affordably. The demand for electricity will grow so quickly that the enviro-whackos will have to step aside or get run over. Imagine a future where as much as 35% of all garbage does into a furnace that runs a power plant. That's where we need to be.

This, this, THIS. Finally, a car company is fast-tracking superior engineering to get us into the post oil era. I hope they can build these cars affordably. The demand for electricity will grow so quickly that the enviro-whackos will have to step aside or get run over. Imagine a future where as much as 35% of all garbage does into a furnace that runs a power plant. That's where we need to be.

Highly doubt it's going to be affordable at least not in a long time.

Get a grip!

Us green people know about a report done by PNNL several years ago already that states that there is enough excess electrical generation capacity in the US to power 85% of all cars and light trucks on the road. We also know that electricity, in comparison to gasoline, is far cleaner and far more efficient.

It is not us green people holding technologies like this back. Crude "drill baby drill" wacos are more likely the ones that are going to have to step aside, or get electrocuted. ;)

Wonder if they are doing that sodium lithium battery? I see future EV's being a mix of Lion system''s since it will be the cheapest tech prob into the mid 2020's if not later then shifting to solid state later on. I would venture a guess 60% of car users need a car with less than 100mile range to meet 99% of the auto needs, as long as there as quick as a comparable gas car and can achieve good highway speeds (aka no prob in the 60-90mph zone) then they will catch on quick. The grid need's to grow like crazy, we need better grid storage solutions, we create a ton of electricity in this country but lose so much of in transfer distance and time. Solar will be great in the west and central US but we need to be able to better store the energy for peak time's on the grid, I can only imagine 5-7pm becoming a hellish demand on the grid in the future. Everyone get's home, plugs in the car, starts streaming tv, your smart home turned on the ac to drop the temp down a bit more before you got home, lot's of demand.

Highly doubt it's going to be affordable at least not in a long time.
if they price it under 20k it should be affordable enough. it should be doable by 2025.

That's great news. We'd likely be seeing more and more surprises down the line from other manufacturers as well. Considering how the combustion engine has evolved and almost peaked in a century, battery tech seems like the next venture that'll advance much quicker. Let's just hope that the hydrogen fuel cell technology remains alive and pursued despite the cost because that too seems very promising. Car companies have a lot on their plate.

....[ ]...Us green people know about a report done by PNNL several years ago already that states that there is enough excess electrical generation capacity in the US to power 85% of all cars and light trucks on the road. We also know that electricity, in comparison to gasoline, is far cleaner and far more efficient.....[ ]....
And yet the power still goes out sometimes on really hot days, when everybody is running their air conditioners. What's up with that?

The Prius was a bit pricy, but not completely out of reach so I would give Toyota a 70-30 chance of getting it right the first time and certainly by the 2nd. From what we have seen Tesla has chosen to go the high price route and ignored the opportunities for a cheaper model for the "masses". The one to watch now is the LEAF. They are aiming at doubling their mileage and dropping prices .... perhaps pie in the sky, but if they pull it off they will capture a large chunk of the market rather quickly.

That extra demand on the power grid, will show up in brown/burnouts. It will also show how SHORT SIGHTED we were in the 80's, after that 1979 movie the China Syndrome came out, then Three Mile Island (even though the safety features WORKED), that we pretty much abandoned nuclear power.

I keep reading about all of these upcoming awesome new battery technologies on TechSpot but have yet to see any of them come to fruition. Patience is not one of my virtues.

And yet the power still goes out sometimes on really hot days, when everybody is running their air conditioners. What's up with that?
Talk to Uncle Sam, Trump on that one. Was he not complaining campaigning about refurbing infrastructure? Everyone knows that infrastructure needs serious work, but all those in charge seem to be able to do is tell everyone where they can go and take a sh!t. :D Infrastructure, however, is not generating capacity.

Get a grip!

Us green people know about a report done by PNNL several years ago already that states that there is enough excess electrical generation capacity in the US to power 85% of all cars and light trucks on the road. We also know that electricity, in comparison to gasoline, is far cleaner and far more efficient.

It is not us green people holding technologies like this back. Crude "drill baby drill" wacos are more likely the ones that are going to have to step aside, or get electrocuted. ;)

Why does California have rolling blackouts if there is more than enough electricity?

That extra demand on the power grid, will show up in brown/burnouts. It will also show how SHORT SIGHTED we were in the 80's, after that 1979 movie the China Syndrome came out, then Three Mile Island (even though the safety features WORKED), that we pretty much abandoned nuclear power.
Search my posts in other threads for a copy of the PNNL report. Most people will likely charge when the demand is low, I.e., overnight. If there are brownouts, it will be as a result of infrastructure.

Get a grip!

Why does California have rolling blackouts if there is more than enough electricity?
ENRON!

And, what, reading news from 10+ years ago? Come on!

Get a grip!

infrastructure flaws, most likely. its not the production, it's the distribution.

"Solid State" batteries just sounds like another name for Capacitors. :/

Locate a landfill, dig up a 50 year old B/W TV tube, unplug the CRT and there's probably enough charge stored in there to jumpstart your car. :D

I really do not understand why people do not read their own reference links. The second link answers that question quite clearly in the article title. Infrastructure!

Infrastructure is not generating capacity. It is power lines, substations, etc., probably EVERY US citizen knows needs serious work, yet the power that be in DC is only capable of telling us where people can sh!t while 45 makes a bundle of renting to the Secret Service. Where is the eyeroll emoticon when you need it?

"Solid State" batteries just sounds like another name for Capacitors. :/

Locate a landfill, dig up a 50 year old B/W TV tube, unplug the CRT and there's probably enough charge stored in there to jumpstart your car. :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_battery - they are not capacitors.

However, if someone were to develop a supercapacitor with a sufficiently high energy density, it would perform similarly. So far, no one has, but many entities are researching them.

I really do not understand why people do not read their own reference links. The second link answers that question quite clearly in the article title. Infrastructure!

Infrastructure is not generating capacity. It is power lines, substations, etc., probably EVERY US citizen knows needs serious work, yet the power that be in DC is only capable of telling us where people can sh!t while 45 makes a bundle of renting to the Secret Service. Where is the eyeroll emoticon when you need it?

What good is power production if you cant get it to where it needs to be???

The Bad news is that infrastructure (in this case electrical/grid improvement) is up-front expensive.
The Good news is that it lasts a Long time, and that borrowing to do it spreads the cost.
The Bad news is that it would Probably cause rates to go up, even with the efficiencies gained.
The Good news is that, alternatively, rates will go Way Up if we wait for it to Break, and rush-fix it.
The really bad news is that the(se) conversation(s) must be held in 10-second sound bites that serve no one but the speaker or distributor, in most cases. Who could have imagined that infrastructure could be turned political?

Wonderful, any new advance in getting dinojuicers off the road is a Good Thing.

But really, charge in a few minutes? A Tesla takes 1.25 hours to charge from zero to full (not something that people do, actually ... 10% to 85% would be more common).

And those superchargers pump out 120kW+. I don't know what they mean by 'a few minutes', but assuming the same capacity and 1/10th of the time, say 7.5 minutes, you need a 1.2 megawatt charger. The supercharger cables are already about 3 cm thick. The internal wiring to carry that current to the batteries would have to be massive, plus you'd need very sophisticated (and hence expensive) cooling.

There are good technical reasons why it takes 75 minutes to do a full Tesla charge, rather than twice the 20 minutes it takes for a half charge. I doubt it's going to be as easy as portrayed above.

Back