Toyota patent describes virtual manual transmission for EVs

emorphy

Staff
Forward-looking: Toyota is recreating the experience of driving a car with a manual transmission in its EVs complete with the sensation of stalling if there isn't enough throttle. It is part of the carmaker's array of futuristic technologies for its electric vehicles.

A recently-published patent application from Toyota shows the details of the virtual manual transmission that the global carmaker is working on for some of its EVs. Essentially, it uses a gear stick typical to those in a manual car configured for a variety of shift patterns and torque characteristics.

Earlier this summer Toyota announced a range of new futuristic technologies for its battery electric vehicles that would be equipped with both drive control and clutch functions. This patent appears to be part of that initiative.

The virtual manual transmission detailed in the patent application would not be limited to six gears, NotebookCheck explained, but instead users will be able to select from various torque patterns to match their driving style. They'll also have fourteen speeds to pick, which isn't practical for a manual gas burning combustion engine, Motor1 points out, but can work fine when the manual transmission is just being simulated.

How is Toyota putting all these moving parts together? The patent describes a scenario in which the user selects a gear just like they would with a regular manual car, but as they move up through the gears, a virtual pattern offers the next set of ratios, Motor1 explains. So if the sixth gear is selected, a display will show other available ratios, allowing the driver to go up to the seventh or beyond.

The technology is being tested in a Lexus UX300e EV.

Toyota announced the global debut of the new UX 300e last year and deliveries began this spring. The luxury car (seen below) came to market with a newly developed battery pack offering a cruising range that is more than 40% longer than that of the previous model and a battery capacity of 72.8kWh.

Joel Stocksdale at Autoblog test drove Toyota's manual EV prototype and wrote that the experience "kind of broke our brains." The execution is fairly simple, despite the complexity of the manual version, with the shifter and the clutch pedal not linked to anything else while equipped with a sensor to detect shifter and clutch pedal positions. The software operated everything else, adjusting the torque depending on RPM, vehicle speed and gear.

Toyota engineers even managed to recreate the feeling of coming close to stalling if you're not giving enough throttle. The engine will even shut off if it doesn't get enough throttle in time, Stocksdale wrote.

Permalink to story.

One can use the stick shift / paddles / gear, et al without looking at any of them.

From the cartoonish drawing, it seems that Toyota's "manual transmission" uses a screen that the user needs to look at while driving.

This is the dumbest thing I’ve read in a while. Who’d want their car to stall out with a virtual stick shift.. seriously? Will there be a clutch too? What a joke lol!
Furthermore, if ICE manual transmissions were invented today NO ONE would want one because stickshifting is more difficult and slower.
I somewhat get why ICE drivers get attached to their manuals but it's just stupid to want manual transmissions on EVERYTHING. What's next? Stickshifted refrigerators? Smartphones? Tables? Steak? Shoes? Books? Cinemas? CD players? *sigh*

I really don't understand people who are obsessed with stick shift.
I have never driven a non-manual car. I'm not obsessed, but it would be easier for me to drive a manual than automatic, because I would be trying to feel a pedal which isn't there and a gear lever which isn't doing what I was used to. Manual transmissions are also way cheaper to service.

Interesting patent, but also seems pretty unneccesary, its like when Renault tried to include a soubd simulator on one of their cars thinking we would go "yes, sounds like a real one!" so ultinately very gimmicky, manuals make sense in a ice car due to the increased control, lower weight along with less complexity and your pocket not hurting as much when the auto inevitably needs a service, though with the way card are made and bought today, who knows if that will even be something people get to, auto's are purely a confort item, but manuals definitely make no sense in an electric, defwats the purpose of the direct drive, simulated or not

Silly dosen't even begin to describe this .... I mean really, are people going to spend money on such a thing?

Furthermore, if ICE manual transmissions were invented today NO ONE would want one because stickshifting is more difficult and slower.
I somewhat get why ICE drivers get attached to their manuals but it's just stupid to want manual transmissions on EVERYTHING. What's next? Stickshifted refrigerators? Smartphones? Tables? Steak? Shoes? Books? Cinemas? CD players? *sigh*
Actually no: manual transmission is at least twice cheaper to manufacture than modern automatic, It's most efficient and faster, unless the manufacterer decides to make first and second gear "longer" to meet fuel efficiency quota between manual and automatic, and the consensus of European drivers is that average American driver chooses automatic due His mental deficit and laziness compared to the people in the old continent.

Just make a manual version of the cars. If people really want manual transmission, there will be market for it.

What's next? Return of the cassettes and their players?

Oh what a wanker, Toyota. This is even worse than fake engine sounds. Just put a 2 spd gearbox in your EV's and be done with it.

I use manual for fun drive, and automatic (and hoping for full AI pilot to get some time for reading/sleep/whatever) for commuting. While it is surely possible to create an ev with manual gears it makes little sense. And this above have no sense at all.

This is the dumbest thing I’ve read in a while. Who’d want their car to stall out with a virtual stick shift.. seriously? Will there be a clutch too? What a joke lol!
"For those who miss them"
People miss stick shifts, people miss car making sounds etc.
Not all embraced EVs and their features.

"For those who miss them"
People miss stick shifts, people miss car making sounds etc.
Not all embraced EVs and their features.

One of the criticism of the coming EVs was they would be silent and it was a big risk - talk adding sound to them to warn pedestrians

Yet lots of ice cars engines are quite silent in an ambient urban setting ( ie not heard over sound of life , truck coming other way )
And we now know if a car is going fast enough the tire sound is quite hearable - if slow then should see kid crossing road with more time , safer hit ,- still noise on gravel road

It gives you greater control of the vehicle. I learned to drive on a manual and it becomes second nature. Once I get used to a vehicle I don't think about gear numbers I just know the positions and what RPMs and Torque I get in them.

That said I cannot get used to paddle shifters...It just isn't the same.

You're just not a driving enthusiast. It puts the driver more in tune with the car and creates a more engaging experience. You have to possess a greater amount of coordination and understanding of the vehicle to drive with one and make it so smooth that it seems as if you don't have a manual. It's not for everyone, but it's a rewarding and fun experience.

I don't want them in everything, but I certainly want them as an option, at least in any sport vehicle I'd own.

Actually no: manual transmission is at least twice cheaper to manufacture than modern automatic, It's most efficient and faster, unless the manufacterer decides to make first and second gear "longer" to meet fuel efficiency quota between manual and automatic, and the consensus of European drivers is that average American driver chooses automatic due His mental deficit and laziness compared to the people in the old continent.

The efficiency gap is pretty much closed at this point, but your run of the mill automatic won't even come close to the performance or responsiveness of a manual, unless you have a very expensive one (I.e., not a car most of us can afford).

This seems pointless though. Forget the fakery. Anyone who wants a manual isn't going to buy an EV anyway, or they're already going to have a manual car that they can drive for that experience.

I understand the attraction of the simplicity of an EV drive train, and I understand the benefits of a (real) manual transmission. But this makes no sense whatsoever, lol. And while an ICE vehicle would be cheaper with a manual, you can bet this will be an expensive option, which is probably the main reason for it. More profit.

I'll tell you where a stick comes in handy, if you live in the midwest. SNOW. Most of the time if I have to drive in snow, I will start out in 2nd gear instead of 1st...less chance of slipping. Plus, downshifting on snow along with any steep roads keeps your foot off the brake. :)

Just make a manual version of the cars. If people really want manual transmission, there will be market for it.

What's next? Return of the cassettes and their players?
Right. Virtual cassettes. you put in a cassette in order to play bluetooth off your phone. But the real fun comes when you get a virtual flat tire!

Back