Trouble formatting 2nd Drive that I want to use as backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1

I'm trying to reformat a second drive (Drive E) I recently added to my pc, and leave my main drive alone (Drive C). I did a fresh install on C without E attached and only added it after everything has been setup on C. The second drive (E) used to be a primary drive on a previous rig and has an XP OS on it from that time. I've since built a new system, with a totally new drive (again, this is my C on the new rig and I don't want to reformat this one at all) and decided that I'd like to backup my data and inserted the old hard drive (E) for this purpose.

I'd like to reformat it and have it clean for just storing data, and so I don't have a second OS installed that might lead to issues.

When I go to drive E, which is the drive letter assigned to it after I inserted it into my new pc, and when I click format, it it keeps saying it can't. I keeps telling me I need to close all windows that show it's contents, but I have nothing opened. I even restarted and went right to the drive.

How come I can't do this, and how can I overcome it? Please post details as although I've got some knowledge, I'm still in the learning/beginner stage and I really need to be hand held :) As much detail as possible plz.

Thanks!!

Helo agian >;D

Try this out

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779

Download the iso or zip version. You can burn these on a CD or get Daemon Tools to "mount" the file.

-----
Actually guys I just tried it out and I'm lost about installing this thing... Does it need to be on a disk, I remember using this once without having to... I think... 0_o
-----

Once installed and running take a look here, Scroll down to "Deleting a partition" and read away.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/generalities/gparted.htm

You might also want to try booting into safe mode on startup when you try the "format" option or even when your removing it to make sure It's not being used.

Do I need to create new partitions on the 2nd drive afterwards or do anything else once I've completed this? Is there anything at all I need to do once I've actually reformatted the drive to be able to start storing my data on it?

Also, I'm a bit fuzzy on the daemon tools and mounting the file you mention.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I deleted the partition via diskmanagement. Do I need to create a new partion on drive E and if so, which kind (primary, extended)? Also I was told I should on format my 2nd drive with ntfs? What's this mean and how do I do it?

Aha alright good to know you got it up and running ;D

Dont worry about the whole mounting thing, daemon tool can mount certain files that are usually placed on a CD. eg, and .ISO file. Usually to run this type of file it would need to be on a CD in order to run, with daemon tools you can "mount" these files which makes the file act like it is a CD drive, so in other words you don't need to burn it to a CD and you can just run the file like it would if the CD were in.

NTFS is the standard file system for most of windows programs like windows XP.

NTFS is better than other file types like FAT because NTFS has more advanced data structures to improve performance, reliability, and disk space utilization, plus additional extensions such as security.

You will always be prompted about what file type to create so It should be pretty straight forward.

As soon as you format its ready for data to be stored on it so as soon as it finishes you can start adding and removing files (once on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back