Trouble installing new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingpongmury

i just recently bought a new HDD ( a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320gb SATA), i also have a Hitachi 250gb HDD that uses the older ribbon type data cable in the same machine.

when i booted windows and went into my computer it doesnt show the new HDD... just the old one....

i've already updated drivers, went into storage manger and initialized the new HDD and it says that it's online.... but still doesnt show up in my computer.. i rebooted and before windows boots a black screen displaying memory controllers ect.. and a "DHCP" with a spinning line... so i let it sit until it says "Hard disk boot failure... please insert system disk and press enter"

so i restarted opened boot preferences and set to my original harddrive.... and the computer booted without a problem....

i have no clue what's goin on... if anyone could help me it would be VERY much appreciated!!!

you need give specs on your computer and operating system and sp level

but aside from that the place to start (maybe u did but not in ur post) is in device manager to see if drive is recognized at all or is there an unknown device listed? (Or are you referring to Windows "Disk Management" console as Storage Manager?)

/*************** EDIT *******************/
Cause first seen by Device Manager -----> Disk Manager --------------> Recognized clicking My Computer when partitioned

thanks i figured it out.... disk management > right click on new harddrive > new volume

set it up and it works fine.. thanks for ur help tho

now i just gotta wait a half hour for the files to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back