Trouble setting dial up on second drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, this is sort of a 2 part question.

My friend is running XP on the master drive with dial up connection.(the pc was purchased ready to go.) and she added a second slave drive,about 2 years later.

She used the same XP install cd on the new slave drive,(both drives are still in use btw)and is having issues connecting the dial up connection on the slave. Using the modem cd provided with the original pc system.

Error 633 The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly.We've checked,rechecked over &over all seems fine exept the following >>

The lable on the modem cd says "56k v92 PCI Modem"...Now all we can get off the cd is "Motorola.SM56 SPEAKER PHONE MODEM"...we dial and get the above error.

So we go back to the master and check the modem that is there and it says."PCI SoftV92 Modem com4" (much like the lable) AND, that the "SM56 SPEAKER MODEM" is not present.

We take the modem cd to where she bought the pc,they said thats the right cd,you should bring the pc in to get fixed. "You have got to be kidding"

We have checked the ports in device manager,we have browsed and tried all that is available.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Hi 7isaac7 and welcome to the TS Forum :wave:

Are you saying that you have 2 drives in the PC, both have an install of Windows XP on them using the same key and that one of them wont work the modem correctly?

Your post makes reference to 2 modems showing in the modem control panel, 1 v92 soft modem ( i believe this refers to a software modem where a program pretends to be a modem and can be used as such) and an SM56 speaker modem (this sounds like a hardware modem), from that I would say that you do have the wrong disk, I did a google on the term softmodem and found this site here with drivers, try that and see if they work.

Hope that helps...

Regards

Regards

Yes two drives in the pc,same XP key.The two modems show in the master not the slave.

My friend lives about 30 miles from me, (just a explanation to why I ask some more questions before trying)

So your saying we should try updating the drivers or even download the modem? Seems we can not get online with the slave,can we go online with the master,and when asked where to save the the drives or modem,can we select ..eg. "E:drive" which I think is the slave.

I did a search on that 633 error and I don't understand what they are saying, (exactly)however it does seem to have some relevance.Could you shedd some light on that please.

Thnx 4 your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back