Trump says he wants to help ZTE "get back into business"

midian182

Staff member

ZTE looked in serious trouble last week when the Chinese tech giant announced it had “ceased major operations” following a ban that prevents US companies from selling hardware and software to the firm. But it may have found an unlikely savior in the form of Donald Trump, who tweeted that he was working with Chinese president Xi Jinping to find a way for ZTE to “get back into business, fast.”

The Commerce Department banned US companies from selling to ZTE for seven years last month. The penalty came after ZTE broke a plea agreement following last year’s admission that it violated sanctions by selling US-made technology to Iran and North Korea.

25 percent of ZTE’s components come from US firms, such as Intel and Qualcomm. It said the ban “will not only severely impact the survival and development of ZTE, but will also cause damages to all partners of ZTE including a large number of US companies.”

The situation was an escalation in the trade dispute between China and the US, but Trump’s tweet could see a thawing of relations between the countries. The president’s reversal comes as US officials prepare for talks with top Chinese trade official Liu He in Washington.

ZTE paid over $2.3 billion to 211 US exporters in 2017, and the company has over 80,000 employees. Part of Trump’s tweet reads, “Too many jobs in China lost.”

White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said: “The President’s tweet underscores the importance of a free, fair, balanced, and mutually beneficial economic, trade and investment relationship between the United States and China. The administration is in contact with China on this issue, among others in the bilateral relationship. President Trump expects [Commerce] Secretary [Wilbur] Ross to exercise his independent judgment, consistent with applicable laws and regulations, to resolve the regulatory action involving ZTE based on its facts.”

Several hours after his first tweet, Trump posted another message assuring people that “it will all work out.”

The tweets appear to have divided opinion. Some analysts welcome improved ties between the US and China, while others maintain that ZTE technology poses a threat to national security, and that tough sanctions against the firm should remain in place.

Permalink to story.

Trump himself still the biggest threat to WORLD security... Helping ZTE would just ease relations with China, which would be a good starting point...

Honestly I don't believe Trump about anything, he let this happen to them, then a few weeks later he wants to be pals all of a sudden to help them ?
For him to keep dipping into **** and then coming up out of **** on a daily basis, its making the world economy become highly unstable.
Lets see trump talk to "Department of Commerce" again and see how well that goes.

Trump himself still the biggest threat to WORLD security... Helping ZTE would just ease relations with China, which would be a good starting point...

Honestly I don't believe Trump about anything, he let this happen to them, then a few weeks later he wants to be pals all of a sudden to help them ?
For him to keep dipping into **** and then coming up out of **** on a daily basis, its making the world economy become highly unstable.
Lets see trump talk to "Department of Commerce" again and see how well that goes.

I doubt Trump had much, if anything, to do with either the fines or the ban. Almost all of this work is done behind the scenes by non-partisan technocrats and with the approval of Secretaries.

What's shocking is that Trump didn't play to his base on such a huge blow to China. This is a company that has admitted to doing shady transactions with Iran and North Korea. It's a company that has strong connections with the government.

Now Trump wants to override the wisdom of his agencies and go against his rhetoric? Just another day in this administration...

I doubt Trump had much, if anything, to do with either the fines or the ban. Almost all of this work is done behind the scenes by non-partisan technocrats and with the approval of Secretaries.

What's shocking is that Trump didn't play to his base on such a huge blow to China. This is a company that has admitted to doing shady transactions with Iran and North Korea. It's a company that has strong connections with the government.

Now Trump wants to override the wisdom of his agencies and go against his rhetoric? Just another day in this administration...
NK - that must be the reason that flip-flopper in chief wants to help - now!

That's been the pattern since he's been in office. Maximum pressure to the point of capitulation. Then offer a way out. The good cop, bad cop routine. Very Reaganesk. As long as it puts us in a better position, I'm all for it.

He realizes that ZTE, as well as other Chinese brands provides billions of dollars to American companies, including Qualcomm for example. Whether it was his decision or his advisers I don't know (I highly doubt he lets anyone tell him what to do or even listens for that matter). Besides that, China pushing back may cause more drama, that and he can ask China for a favor, you know seeing that we helped a Chinese company out when we didn't have to.....or I don't know what I'm talking about.

You know, when Obama bent over for those, "banks that were too big to fail", because he is (half) black, a Democrat, and lookin' out for us, it wasn't that much of an issue..

This is the same game, in a different arena. But when Trump does it.....he's a hypocrite, and should be impeached.:eek:

ZTE is, too big to fail", get over it.

Last edited:
International tech publications have put the total job losses (including beyond just Z’s employees) at an estimated 200,000 people.
Trump is, partially, playing to his base here, if poorly so, by moving to retain employment, not just foreign but national too.
And he IS in a place to negotiate a clean bilateral agreement here. If ZTE falls, hundreds of supply chain manufacturers fall too, eventually!

As cranky said, nobody cared when Obama did it.

If you needed more evidence China is playing a role in the "North Korea Talks", this is it.

Trump went from complaining incessantly on how China was "eating our lunch", "taking our jobs" and "undermining our currency" to "China's economy is in trouble and needs our help."

Nonsense.

This is a "reward" to thank China for helping to insure the NK meeting happens.

Politics is dirty and messy. Yes it is true that American companies benefit from supplying ZTE. It isn't like another company can't pop up from the U.S. or elsewhere to fill that void. I agree that dealing with N. Korea probably have something to do with it.

That's been the pattern since he's been in office. Maximum pressure to the point of capitulation. Then offer a way out. The good cop, bad cop routine. Very Reaganesk. As long as it puts us in a better position, I'm all for it.

And if it doesn't ? I rather just get trump out of white house soon before its too late in his term.

I wonder what could have gotten Trump to turn a 180 in a couple of days ?
Vox and other new sources seem to think this "
Trump stands to gain from an Indonesian project that got a $500 million loan right before he flip-flopped on ZTE."

I wonder what could have gotten Trump to turn a 180 in a couple of days ?
Vox and other new sources seem to think this "
Trump stands to gain from an Indonesian project that got a $500 million loan right before he flip-flopped on ZTE."
What's the source?

Yes that was the article I was referring too and I don't know why they would not let me post it but they let you ! You must have pull here as I'm kind of new here !

You know, when Obama bent over for those, "banks that were too big to fail", because he is (half) black, a Democrat, and lookin' out for us, it wasn't that much of an issue..

This is the same game, in a different arena. But when Trump does it.....he's a hypocrite, and should be impeached.:eek:

ZTE is, too big to fail", get over it.
Trump is learning a hard lesson - the US cannot exist isolated from a global economy.

At least congress, at the time, passed regulations that made it much harder for banks to screw their customers. Regulations, I might add, that the current congress is doing their best to undo.

You once said that you endure presidents. Perhaps it is time to start looking through the smoke that all of them blow out their a$$es? Though I voted for him, there were quite a few things that Obama did that I thought were not the greatest of decisions.

Last edited:
Back