Trying to clean: Search Engine Hijack

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seemed that our problem was our Google searches were being hijacked, then we noticed the same was true for Yahoo. Have been using Symantec Live Update but I noticed the "date and rev." was still showing Dec. 25 even when it appeared to download and install the latest updates.

SUPERAntiSpyware seemed to cleanup a number of things I didn't know were wrong but the hijack problem still existed.

I'd downloaded and ran a number of different products: No-Adware, Ad-Aware and AVG Anti-Spyware sometimes they found stuff, sometimes they didn't, yet the hijack problem still exists.

I've now found this forum and have gone through the 8-step removal instructions, following are the logs:

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the update

I hope that removing AVG
And using the Norton removal tool was part of that
Before continuing to locate all other bad entries in HJT
And then possibly running other tools, such as Combofix

Again glad it's resolved :grinthumb; hopefully for free, as it would have been here, if I had seen the thread

Thanks kimsland. I removed all of the anti-malware tools that I had used for cleaning as well as removing my non-working Symantec Anti-virus. Ran the Norton removal tool and then load Aivira. Aivira found stuff none of the other tools found. I cleaned those items up and all seems to be fine.

I haven't run Combofix. Is this still a good idea? What would it do for me.

That depends on what the log says once complete ;)

Download Combofix
Lots of info on its use h e r e
Direct download h e r e

Save it to a location that you can easily find later (in Safe Mode) ie directly to C drive

Restart your computer to Safe Mode (by repeatedly pressing F8 on your keyboard before Windows starts)
Locate the previously downloaded Combofix
Double click on it to run, answering any prompts along the way
Note: during Combofix scan (lasting up to 10mins) your Desktop and clock may reset (all normal)

Once Combofix has finished, save the log file to be attached to a new reply
Restart back to Normal mode, and attach the Combofix log

You could also provide a new HJT log too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back