Trying to upgrade my Nvidia Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I've just recently purchased an nvidia geforce gtx 260 oc maxcore 55, trying to upgrade from a geforce gt 240.. When I installed my gtx260 into my system and booted into windows, the card was not detected, and I had to plug a separate monitor into my on board plug, because I wasn't getting any signal through through from my new card. I had also purchased a 780w psu to ensure I had enough power for it. I also tried to disable to on board graphics and installed the drivers for the new card before I installed it into my system, so when nothing worked for me I traded the card in for another gtx260, but had all of the same problems...

I'm about to try booting in safe mode and disabling the on board graphics again and reinstall all the drivers and try again...

Also forgot to mention that the card powers up, the fans are running, but it's just not being detected. I did clean the pci-e slot with some cleaning alchohol and a cotton swab, which didn't help at all, I thought maybe I did a no no by trying to clean it like that and so I put my gt 240 back in, but it worked just fine.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

also forgot to mention I have a

ASUStek NARRA2
Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430
5632mbs of memory
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Processor

Not exactly sure about the psu, but I'll try to get that while I fiddle with my pc some more, I only know it's 780w.

Are both PCIe power connectors attached ? If so, are the connected via adapters (PCIe 6pin from molex ) ?

That would seemingly rule out the PSU/power delivery as being the culprit then. A 780w PSU, even if an inefficient one should be able to supply adequate amperage/voltage to the card.
It would seem unlikely that you would get two DOA cards, although it's not beyond the realm of possibility.
The only other thing I can think of that could possibly be influencing the non-working card is the PCIe x16 slot not delivering a full 75w for some reason or the PCIe x16 version 1 (or 1.1) is somehow incompatible with the card (unlikely). I presume the four pin ATX cable is plugged into the motherboard socket?
Have you tried the GTX260 in another system ?
Have you tried contacting HP Support to find out if there are any compatibility issues ?

I also tried to disable to on board graphics and installed the drivers for the new card before I installed it into my system, so when nothing worked for me I traded the card in for another gtx260, but had all of the same problems...

You must first uninstall all graphics drivers from your system. Then plug in the new card. Only after that should you install the latest drivers for your new card.

That is a fair comment Rit, but even if the driver doesn't install correctly, he should be able to get display. DBZ's comment about slot seems more plausible, but unlikely as well (as he himself has pointed out that); can there be a chance that either of two or both pcie molex connectors may not be delivering the power required by the card?

this is so strange, I took out a hitachi deskstar 2tb seta harddrive from my pc and now the video card works fine, I was getting ready to return the card for good too! thanks to everyone who replied to my thread, greatly appreciated. =D I'm off to play assassins creed 2 with my new card!

Strange indeed, and also may be it points at a weak PSU ?? I think DBZ and Rit have much superior knowledge in this area, so they can shed some light on this.

The PSU the OP mentioned is 780W. Like DBZ pointed out, even if it's not a very good one it should be easily able to power that card (including 2 HDDs). However, I would suggest using a different PSU to see if the problem reappears on adding the second hard disk.

I'm not an expert on this, but is there any way a second HDD in a system may conflict with a GPU or its drivers?

I have never seen an HDD causing issues with display card (i.e. graphic card in this case); and I am using computers since the days when it would take a computer on AutoCAD an hour just to erase one damn contour from a drawing :(.

Anyway ..... there is a first time for everything; (i may be wrong) but my hunch is its something with PSU not the HDD. Unless the I/O controller is muddling things up between various components, which is very highly unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back