Turned PC off holding down power, sound no longer detected

Last night I was in a rush and did something I would usually never do; holding down the power button, rather than using shut down.

When I turned the PC on the next day, none of the audio ports were working. Either through the back I/O panel or trying to use the headphones jack through the front jacks.

It also looks like it's not shutting down correctly, as it exits windows, screen goes black, but I can still hear the PC running.

Any thoughts on what might be damaged/what I could try to fix things?

My time was super limited before zapping off to work this morning, so I didn't get to do much more than update the graphics drives in an overly hopeful attempt to fix things.

Thanks.

Without knowing anything about your computer (The age, components) I can tell you that holding down the power button is for sure should be a last resort. Usually when I have to do that, the first thing I do on reboot is open a CMD window with administrator privileges and type SFC /scannow.

You should check Device Manager to see if your sound card is detected (I assume Realtek?). You can usually find a sound driver for your sound card from the PC manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer if it is custom build. You might also want to check that the sound card settings in the Control Panel didn't select a different sound card like the one that is built into HDMI (that is a common problem).

You could also check the Event Viewer to see errors that have been cropping up.

Last night I was in a rush and did something I would usually never do; holding down the power button, rather than using shut down.

When I turned the PC on the next day, none of the audio ports were working. Either through the back I/O panel or trying to use the headphones jack through the front jacks.

It also looks like it's not shutting down correctly, as it exits windows, screen goes black, but I can still hear the PC running.

Any thoughts on what might be damaged/what I could try to fix things?

My time was super limited before zapping off to work this morning, so I didn't get to do much more than update the graphics drives in an overly hopeful attempt to fix things.

Thanks.
I expereinced a pretty similar problem and, at the end of the day, the issue was my Windows 10.

Back