Tutorial for slaving a drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruth ann

Hello,

I have an old computer with win98se, 728Mhz, 128ram, 18g HD, and a new
Dimension8400 with Win XP Pro. After doing some researh, I've found that what I
need to do is take my HD from the old computer and put it in the new one and slave it.
I have no idea how to do this and most explanations I've found are very technical directed
at those who know a lot.

Could someone direct me to a tutorial with pictures :) that gives directions for how to do
this and what I will need to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Ruth

That 8400 has only 1 IDE channel, if there is a CD/DVD attached to it (look for a wide flat cable on that drive) you're out of luck, no room for an old harddisk.

The only possibility then would be to buy a PCI IDE-controller and attach your old disk to that.

The other 4 channels are all for the newer SATA disks. (very small cables).

Alternatively, you could network those 2 PCs and then transfer the files over onto the new PC.
Look for a friendly neighbourhood geek to help you out.

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply. Well, I'm open for suggestions here. I have dcc'd the two and using the XP transfer wizard I've transfered everything I need, but the one program I really want, CorelDraw 8, doesn't work.

It wants to be installed. They no longer support that program nor have any replacement disks, I paid for upgrade but the new program - 6 years newer - is so changed I'd spend a year trying to learn it.

So, is there some way, since I can't slave this to somehow get that program usable from the new computer, or do I have to keep the old one around?

I realize this is the hardware forum so maybe I should post in a software one?

Ruth

Ruth,
the only way to have saved the Corel Draw program would have been to save an image of the whole Corel install disk at the time you first installed it. I know there was a way for you to save your Corel work, but not the whole program. You don't have the original Corel disc? Normally a person would back up their Corel work and then install Corel fresh and migrate the work to the new Corel installation. I'm afraid that this would be your only hope, other than keeping your old system for Corel work only

Hi,

I was afraid of that. Unfortunately I got it when I first got a computer and didn't really know about things like backing up programs, after all I had the original disks. Of course, I couldn't lose one of the graphics disk, it had to be the install one....grrrr. Well, it looks like I'm keeping my old computer. Thanks for the help. If I do find any solution, I'll post back in case it helps someone else.

Ruth

Ok Ruth,
I get these kinds of questions all the time from people. They always think that if they "save" the program files, all will be safe. In reality, it's the install file for each program that needs to be saved. With programs downloaded from the Net, saving is easy. I save mine on another drive under the file name "Install Files". Programs that come on CD's are different. On an install CD, the whole CD is important.

Good luck :)

Hi,

I wanted to post the solution I found, since I actually had a licensed version. I bought a copy of CorelDraw8 suite at e-bay. It was an older build so I had to download the update, but everything worked fine until I actually tried to use it on XP :( It kept freezing. But now is fine :)

After all this time searching, the solution is to use the program compatibility wizard on XP and to try the various options you have to find the best. I went from '98 to XP with it, but the best compatibility fix was to set it for 2000. :)

Now, I am making a duplicate of the install disk as suggested :)

Ruth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back