Tv tuners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripken204

ati TV WONDER™ ELITE or the haupauge WinTV PVR 350

which is better unless u have a better suggestion

i think ati would eb better as i have never heard of the other company. i personally own 2 ati card but no tv wonder. the ati drivers are sooo mcuh better than they used to be and their tech support is good although i ahvent really used it.

you sould check out htpcnews.com and a host of other audio video forums,hauppauge pvr 250/350 is the leader in the market.pvr 250 has hardware mpeg2 encoding so it wont much strain on your pc(maybe just a little),its been around for a while and is compatible with almost every pvr software out there,its even recommended by most.the pvr 350 a little expensive version of the 250 has just a minute difference that it outputs in mpeg2 as well,besides that both perform the same.as for the ati woinder,i am not familiar with the elite.the older ati wonder cards were a good alternative to the pvr 250 but the buggy driver and compatibility became an issue,this card sold mostly as oem version and was low profile.I would pick hauppauge any day over the ati wonder and would also suggest you stick with pvr 250 ather than 350 unless you have some use of its only feature that is not available in 250(otherwise they are identical)however if you've got the budget you might want to consider a pvr 500(double tuner) or 2 pvr 150(cheaper)because there is nothing like recording 2shows at once.

I've never used those two exact cards, but if you've never heard of Hauppauge then you probably haven't dealt with TV cards very much. They are one of the, if not THE, biggest TV card manufacturers out there and they make excellent products. I hear the TV Elite from ATI is supposed to be awesome too though - but as I said I haven't used either of those models myself. I know there is great support for the Hauppauge in linux if that makes any difference.

TV Wonder Elite review

Apparently it has pretty much the same features as Hauppauge PVR-350, except tv-out.

I might be mistaken but not even ATi's own pages about TV Wonder Elite (I refuse to type it all caps) list its real specifications, it's just filled with sales-talk.

I'm not impressed with ATi's drivers, either.

like i said earlier,hauppauge is a very big name than ati when talking about tv tuners/pvr.ati has the tv wonder and all in wonder but they are constantly plagues by driver problems,compatibility issues and low profile.while hauppauge is the king of the hill in terms of pvr performace with hardware mpeg2 encodinf to prevent any strain being put on the cpu.so you might be playing ut2004,encoding video all the while recording a tv show silently in the background.now the only question that remains is which hauppauge card-the 250 is the old,original and the biggest selling model that hauppauge has,the 350 only has ONE difference that it outputs tv in mpeg2(dont think of outputting win xp to your tv's with this feature only the video..though there is overlay work going on in this section)and lastly the 150,now this is the new kid on the block its based on the 250 but is almost half its price because of special cost cutting production.there is a review of 150 comparing and even rating it higher than 250 on htpcnews.com if you want to check out.

ATI TV Wonder Pro

Been beating my brains out over this unit. Bought it in Jan 2005, it originally worked beautifully, but somewhere it kept dropping out, and after so many times with the updates from ATI site, I let it die, and am now back trying to resurrect it. Trying to remove programs from the Control panel , The "DAO"
program is in there twice, and It will not remove when commanded. Tried the run appwiz.cpl , but still wouldn't remove. Any ideas??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back