YouTube TV surpasses Dish to become the fourth largest pay-TV provider in the US

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? Google has announced that its subscription TV service, YouTube TV, has surpassed eight million subscribers, establishing itself as the largest service in its category in the US. This significant subscriber count also positions it as the fourth-largest cable TV provider in the country, trailing Comcast, Charter, and DirectTV, and marginally ahead of Dish Network.

YouTube CEO Neal Mohan said the next frontier for the video streaming platform is to enter people's living rooms through its subscription TV service. According to him, the company envisions people watching YouTube in a manner reminiscent of families gathering to watch traditional television together at home. Mohan also revealed that people now watch more than a billion hours of YouTube content on their TVs every day on average.

A YouTube TV subscription starts at $72.99 per month, making it one of the most expensive streaming services available. However, for that price, users gain access to a bundle of over 100 traditional cable channels, including CNN, ESPN, HGTV, and more. This is in addition to all the major networks, such as ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and their local affiliates.

Like cable, YouTube TV subscribers can opt for add-on packages that include premium movie channels such as HBO or Showtime. Additionally, there are 4K packages that offer content in ultra-high resolution, as well as language add-ons for those wanting to watch foreign language content. Football fans can also subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket for $350 per year.

YouTube TV competes with traditional cable and DTH operators as one of the largest pay-TV providers in the country. The company's eight million subscriber count makes it the fourth-largest in the category, having surpassed Dish Network with 6.72 million customers. Comcast leads the list with 14.49 million subscribers, while Charter is at number two with 14.37 million customers. DTH provider DirecTV is at number three with 11.85 million users.

The announcement comes just days after Google revealed that YouTube Music and Premium combined have crossed 100 million subscribers. However, while the Music and Premium services are available globally, YouTube TV is only available in the US for now. That, though, is likely to change in the near future, with Google recently announcing that it is planning to expand the service to more countries going forward.

Permalink to story.

Youtube has more content than anyone as far as I can tell. Much of it is educational which I like. What I don't like is that too much of the educational is poorly narrated. Need to fix your chainsaw? Most likely a video to help you along. Need to learn how to do relief carving? They have you covered. The clips of movies and TV shows are something I also enjoy. I won't pay to watch all the crummy shows but I do spend time on Youtube at the end of the day while I wind down before bed.

Youtube has more content than anyone as far as I can tell. Much of it is educational which I like. What I don't like is that too much of the educational is poorly narrated. Need to fix your chainsaw? Most likely a video to help you along. Need to learn how to do relief carving? They have you covered. The clips of movies and TV shows are something I also enjoy. I won't pay to watch all the crummy shows but I do spend time on Youtube at the end of the day while I wind down before bed.
Youtube and Youtube TV are two different things. Youtube TV is a TV streaming service that replaces your cable TV provider. I had it went it first launched but their prices skyrocketed. Plus the wife prefers Hulu and the Kids like Disney Plus so its easier to get that bundle.

For the price of 1 YT TV service I could get 7-8 other streaming services in Australia. Price is literally insane.
They boast of having the fullest package no other service can provide.
They are competing with TV, which I assume still costs more.
Therefore, someone who wants a similar experience will save on it.
The problem is that it does not compare with other typical streaming services because of how much more it costs.

I'm tired of their bots that comment positive fake comments on crappy movie trailers, fake positive comments on Kimmel show, Seth, or most LEFT shows then you got millions that lie about Orange man saying he's Hitler, going to jail for 700 years, he's going to execute certain people just like the alphabet news reporters have said recently lol. YOUTUBE is a cesspool and I have many rare video's, articles, court documents and they get removed no matter how I edit them and upload them. This includes those paintings of you know who which are the same paintings that match the plywood on some run down buildings.Truth is now a bad word I guess.

Maybe it's just me? YOUTUBE is turning to trash just like Twitter that was owned before Elon. Censorship is costing lives, and it's sad to see. It encourages criminal politicians to keep pushing evil agendas.

Back