Twitter will stop protecting Trump's tweets once he leaves office

Status
Not open for further replies.

mongeese

Staff
In context: Twitter has a 'public-interest exception' policy that lets elected officials violate some of Twitter's rules without having their tweets removed. The offending tweets are hidden behind a warning and are excluded from Twitter's recommendation algorithm, but they're left up on the internet for the sake of public interest.

Twitter will remove Donald Trump's protections after he leaves office (presumably) on January 20, 2021. Afterward, his tweets will be subject to removal if they're deemed to violate Twitter's rules.

Donald Trump was the, uh… inspiration… for this policy.

However, Twitter has clarified that their "approach to world leaders, candidates, and public officials is based on the principle that people should be able to choose to see what their leaders are saying with clear context. … This policy framework applies to current world leaders and candidates for office, and not private citizens when they no longer hold these positions."

In other words, Trump will soon be subject to the same rules the rest of us are required to follow.

Trump has clashed with Twitter numerous times in the past. In May, he claimed that Twitter was "stifling free speech" after the platform labeled his tweets about mail-in ballots as "unsubstantiated" and incorrect. In the past week, nearly all of his tweets have received a "misleading" or "disputed" label.

It will be interesting to see how Trump reacts to the rules or if he may leave the platform entirely.

Permalink to story.

The control power of deep state is higher than words in capital letters on twitter.
Lots of conspiracies surround voting this time: lots of people got task to destroy millions of mail-in vote papers with Trump selected, electronic voting software designed to "glitch" to vote for Biden instead, 110+ year olds (actually dead long ago) voting for Biden, media paid to "gaslight" people, to make people think that majority truly voted for Biden, to make people give up with voting for Trump, etc.
And then there's the fact that Trump is also a paid actor, and not JFK. America's show business is truly one of a kind.
No matter the comedy, life will never get better, unless you stop watching the circus on TV and actually start with fortifying your future.

Last edited:
Not a lot will change whoever is in charge. However the views outside the USA of Biden are rather more positive than that of Trump, and don't think it is because Trump was disliked for shaking up the 'status quo'.

The only people that thought a billionaire in charge was going to 'drain the swamp' were the people that also think billionaires only want the best for poor people. Come on. None of the 'elites' care about you, but you put a billionaire in office and thought he was going to care about literally anyone else?

The US voted for a career politician that has been in office for 47 YEARS! and has the worst track record ever. That doesn't say much for the level of intelligence, or lack there of. watch the stock market TANK in one year from now.

Biden and Kamala Harris have a better record on crime than Trump does.

In fact, under Trump's presidency, I've seen horrific failures of the government to protect and defend citizen's rights.

Biden and Kamala Harris have a better record on crime than Trump does.
Err, Biden has no record whatsoever on crime -- other than his vote for the 1994 Crime Bill, of which he is now ashamed, and continually apologizes for.

As for Kamala Harris's rampant prosecutorial abuses, those are well-documented.
This doesn't even touch on her record of dropping cases for political reasons/favors.

Err, Biden has no record whatsoever on crime -- other than his vote for the 1994 Crime Bill, of which he is now ashamed, and continually apologizes for.

As for Kamala Harris's rampant prosecutorial abuses, those are well-documented.
This doesn't even touch on her record of dropping cases for political reasons/favors.

FORTUNATELY: I don't need to argue because Biden and Kamala Harris are now President and VP.

It's Over.

Trump's packing his Uhauls.

So whatever it is is whatever...

Under Trump's presidency, I've seen horrific failures of the government to protect and defend citizen's rights.
You mean secretly spying on reporters who printed negative stories against you? No, that was the Obama Administration. (Also here.) Or perhaps you mean using the IRS to target your political enemies? No, that was Obama/Biden also. Or putting children of illegal immigrants in the "cages" that Obama/Biden built for them? Or what of the illegal extrajudicial execution -- without trial, indictment, or even accusation of a crime -- of a US citizen and his teenage son? No, that was Obama/Biden also.

What of the even more far-reaching abuse of citizen's rights of allowing the NSA to secretly collect data on the phone calls of hundreds of millions of Americans, then having your Director of National Intelligence lie about it in sworn testimony to Congress? Oh wait, Obama/Biden again.

Last edited:
You know what's relevant? Hunter Biden's corrupt deals with China. Stealing an election insures that the Republicans will do nothing but seek revenge for the next four years. That's assuming that the massive voter fraud doesn't overturn Biden's "victory" first, of course.

Let me settle this so you know where I stood when I voted Biden.

#1 I don't care if Hunter Biden smoked up all the Coke on Planet Earth.

#2 I don't care about the right wing rhetoric regarding China.

#3 The "massive voter fraud" was Trump trying to marginalize mail-in votes and it's kaput.

We can resume in January when you watch Biden swearing in - followed by Kamala.

The moment you saw the race called for Biden and saw the entire world watch the election result for Biden, this was over.

Regardless what some madman on Twitter says...

He'll be screaming and crying for a long time - just like Palin - and over time his following will die off...

A disgrace to the office.

Folks, this isn't a news article about a general politics discussion - please stick to the relevant topic of the post (Twitter's policies regarding general public users vs leaders/office candidates).

I have a question: Is Techspot AWARE that when they post just about anything regarding: "Trump", "Biden", "Election 2020", "twitter" or "facebook" that the INEVITABLE replies will ALL be: "a general politics discussion "

Politics has been invading social media - obviously.

Politics has been invading technology production, sales and distribution.

I have a question: Is Techspot AWARE that when they post just about anything regarding: "Trump", "Biden", "Election 2020", "twitter" or "facebook" that the INEVITABLE replies will ALL be: "a general politics discussion "
Perfectly aware. However, the onus is on the readers to keep comments relevant.

EDIT: Relevancy Statement: The below facts are not allowable as Twitter Retweets

#1 I don't care if Hunter Biden smoked up all the Coke on Planet Earth.
Neither do I. I do care that he and his father took money from foreign governments to alter US policy. I also care that his father pulled strings to get a crackhead with no skills and job experience appointed to the board of Amtrak ("official job qualification: he "rode Amtrak a lot"), as well as the shady sweetheart deals awarded to several other family members of his.

#2 I don't care about the right wing rhetoric regarding China.
I care that the FBI has more active espionage/counterintel cases again China than the rest of the world combined. And given that many other nations are also banning and sanctioning Chinese firms and technology, and waking up to their horrific civil rights abuses of their own citizens, dismissing the concerns out of hand isn't going to fly for long. The fact that Biden took millions from the PRC isn't going to excuse him from taking action against them.

Agree 100%. Techspot has been posting a substantial amount of non-tech political content ... then acting surprised when the comments section devolves into a political debate. It's not a sensible policy, but there it is.

Perfectly aware. However, the onus is on the readers to keep comments relevant.
Shouldn't the onus be on the editors to keep the articles relevant? The article's author himself included the rather snide political statement, "Donald Trump was the, uh… inspiration… for this policy. ", and, in a rampant abuse of journalistic ethics, doesn't even attempt to address the other side of the issue. It's political commentary, not technical news.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back