Two computers died overnite...power surge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 computers; the one I'm on now which is plugged into a surge protector, one in an office that is just for checking email and such, and a system behind the TV running linux and MythTV for PVR functions. Besides the one I'm on now the other two are just plugged into the wall, due to the fact that I'm lazy and didn't buy more surge protectors. Please do not patronize me about not hooking them up to surge protectors...I really don't care right now.

After last night both computers that are not on surge protectors exhibit the same exact problem (which to me is very strange). The power button has no effect, they will start if you plug the cord into the power supply and its switched to ON. Obviously it won't start up if the power supply is switched off. So as soon as you plug in the cord they turn on, all the lights on the front panel (power, HD activity, etc) remain on but the monitor will not turn on and it won't make the "everything is cool" beep sound.

Both computers exhibit that EXACT same problem which allows me to rule out various things such as individual component failure (though I suppose it is possible yet highly improbable).

Are these symptoms of a computer damaged by a power surge or something else? Solutions?

*note: I know my way around computers (I built all three machines from parts) and have checked all the usual things (connections, etc.). Yes, I'm an ***** for not plugging them all into surge protectors if that is indeed the problem...I don't need to hear that again.

Also, I've stripped down one of the machines to just power supply, motherboard, CPU/HSF, with the power switch and speaker plugged in. The power switch still has no effect (just boots when plugged in) and NO BEEP CODES.

I'm starting to get scared taht these two machines are totally bricked...please, somebody help me.

Try a working PSU in those dead bodies. If you're lucky, the fuse inside the unprotected PSUs may have blown. Worst case, you can play Scrapheap Challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back