Two harddrives in an old computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i am a 14 year old who just combined 2 old computers i found in my basement. I tried to put in the hard drive from the other computer but when i turned it on it made a beeping noise. Can this be done? or do i need to have software or the plugin for it. I have some music on the old harddrive and want to get it on the computer.

Thanks,
Kenny

No you can put up to 4 hard drives technically in an older (ide controller) computer. One hard drive has to have an operating system on it and it has to be set as the primary master on IDE-0. It has a jumper on the rear that has master, slave, cable select. Set it to master. Connect it to the end of the ide ribbon. The second hard drive can be attached seperately to ide-1 as the secondary master or to the middle connector on ide-0 as the primary slave. The red line on the ribbon always goes to pin-1 on the motherboard ide controller. Look real close and you will see numbers on the motherboard. Hope this helped.

Assuming both hard drives are still working!!

Ahaha i did that once and i didnt know about the politically incorrect master/slave thing and it took me weeks to finally find the problem and get my harddrives working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back