Two power connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillAllen55

I've put together my new computer and am truly enjoying the night lights the leds are providing. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P using a Wolfdale 3.16 cpu.

I've yet to receive a beeping sound from the motherboard. I have all of the leds diagnostic lights on the board shining. But no video. The motherboard apparently is not connecting to the Video card.
EVGA 512-P3-N956-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

I have a couple of questions to ask:
1. When connecting the power cable to the motherboard I'm seeing in the owners manual reference to two power connections on the board. I've connected the 24 pin power connection to the board but the four pin connection I'm not clear as to if this is supposed to be connected with the 24 pin connection or is it an alternate choice one may use rather than the 24 pin connection?

2. Regarding the mentioned video card. I'm seeing a six pin male area on the card that appears as if it would take a power connection. I have looked over my connections on my power supply, Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply and am not seeing a connection that would go together with this arrangement. Reading the manual on the video card, it does not mention a recommended additional power connection.

My problem is that when turning on the computer I'm not hearing any beeps and not showing a post from the monitor.

This is about it for now. Greatly appreciate whatever suggestions anyone might have as to why my new computer is not posting.

According to Newegg you should have the right connectors.
Picture

The main 24 pin connection goes into the big block connector on the right edge of the motherboard, the connector may separate into two connectors, 20 & 4 pins, make sure these are together and in the main connector.

The four pin connector the manual mentions is up in the top left near the ports on the back of the motherboard - it's an eight pin connection.
Some power supplies have an eight pin connector for it, but most offer four. You should find another four pin connector on your power supply (see the above picture if needed) - this will fit into one half of the eight pin connector and should be all it needs.

The graphics card - see the connectors in the picture for your power supply, one of them is called PCI-E connector, this plugs into your graphics card - it is six pins.

Good luck, once you have everything plugged in correctly, you should be good to go.

thanks for the info

I will use the suggest power pin for the additional connection. I have a power plug in that say pci-e on this does not fit the graphics card I'm using I'm heading down to the computer shop to see if they have an adapter to accommodate the pci-e plug that is currently there.

Thanks again.

moving now to OS instalation issues

Yep that is the video I have installed.
Your feedback was invaluable and it was what it took to fire up the monster:D

Ok so here is where I'm at. My MB is GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS4P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
My Processor is Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

graphics card is EVGA 512-P3-N956-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

So Here is where I am: I was able to find the updated BIOS by referencing the MB version
(left bottom corner.
I determined that it was a F7 and was able to provide the download description with MB serial number.

Went through the steps that the GIGABYTE process described. From all appearances I was sucessful with updating the BIOS. (still will boot up to the splash screen)

My problem is that when attempting to install Windows XP I get to where it asks if I want to load raid scsi drivers press F-6 and I don't have the floppy disk to install the correct controller drivers. I do not want a Raid configuration I have just one HD 615 gigs. And am feeling I should be able to find the controller drivers somewhere. I have looked but am unsure as to exactly what driver controller I'm looking for. I accessed the Gigabyte Motherboard cd (on an alternate computer) which did not provide ANYTHING in the line of contents. (d drive did not show anything in line of contents of the drive.) D drive was checked in is fully functional.
So this is where I'm at, a beatifuil new case a pretty set of LED lights on the inside of the case a nice new Dark Knight shiny HSF with no way to get the OS to install.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit. I would appreciate whatever suggestions you may have.
specifically what is it that is bringing about the BSD after attempting to install the OS?
Thanks again.

do you have the HD 615 gigs install on one of the top two sata connections or bottom 4. i have a GA-EP45-UD3R and on my motherboard the top two are the raid configuration only

I guess I should provide some background, I have not assembled a computer for the last 7 years. to be talking about different positions of the sata connections totally has me left in the dust. You are speaking of the sata connections on the motherboard but am unsure if I'm on the top connection or bottom. I found a sata connection area that appeared to fit the sata ribbon and plugged it in. So I would first like to know which connection I should use for a single motherboard (no raid configuration) and how will I know one sata connection from another?

your motherboard has 6 total sata connections, 2 kindof in the middle right and 4 at the bottom right, use one of the 4 at the bottom right

Will this allow my XP OS to load properly or do I need scsi drivers downloaded and if so where may I go to download needed drivers?
Thanks for the prompt reply.
on my way to find the correct Sata connections.

when i try to install xp windows it gives me a blue screen indicating there is an error that has stopped the program to protect the hardware
I have not idea where to go from here.

I have an older Gigabyte motherboard (see my System specs) but in looking at the manual for your motherboard the procedure for installing SATA hard drives appears to be the same. If you don't have a floppy drive, you can create a slipstream CD which combines the original Windows CD with the needed SATA/RAID controller drivers. I've never actually had to do this before myself so google for the procedure. There are several sites that describe the process.

That said, consider paying the $8.00 or less (not including tax or shipping) and just buy a floppy drive and save yourself a lot of angst. For example here is one: Newegg - Floppy drive.

The SATA/RAID controller drivers are indeed on the motherboard driver CD. For instructions on how to make the floppy SATA/RAID driver disk see page 91 of your motherboard manual. I used the method at the bottom of the page (without using a startup disk).

When you are ready to install Windows with the required SATA/RAID controller drivers, first configure the BIOS to AHCI mode (page 86). This is for a single SATA hard drive, not for any RAID array setup. Save and exit and then continue with Windows Setup.

Edit: If you prefer, you can go to the Gigabyte website and download the latest SATA/RAID drivers but make sure you download the right one for the floppy (the second one on the SATA list - go towards bottom of page). See here: Gigabyte SATA/RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back