Uber boss says company to focus more on bikes and less on cars

midian182

Staff member
Bottom line: In the near ten years since it was founded, ride-hailing company Uber has grown into a multi-billion-dollar business. But its CEO says plans are in place to switch focus from cars and more on its electric scooter and bike business, even though the move will likely affect Uber’s bottom line.

Dara Khosrowshahi, the former Expedia boss who took over after Travis Kalanick’s troubled reign came to an end last year, told the Financial Times that these alternative modes of transport are better suited to inner city travel.

"During rush hour, it is very inefficient for a one-tonne hulk of metal to take one person 10 blocks," he said.

New York and Washington are two of the eight US cities where Uber has added e-bikes to its app, while Berlin is set to become the first European city to receive the function. The company acquired bike-sharing company Jump for $200 million earlier this year, and both Uber and Alphabet invested $335 million in electric scooter start-up Lime last month.

Uber lost $4.5 billion in 2017, so the announcement is a bit of a surprise, especially as it’s expected to go public soon. The company earns less per mile from renting scooters and bikes than from car rides, but it believes they will result in more long-term engagement by users.

"Short-term financially, maybe it's not a win for us, but strategically long term we think that is exactly where we want to head."

While the shift toward bikes and scooters sounds like bad news for drivers, who will likely receive fewer fares as a result, Khosrowshahi believes they will ultimately benefit as passengers are more likely to take longer, and therefore more expensive, rides.

"When I’ve spoken to our driver partners about it, the first impression was, why are you bringing in a bike to compete against me?" he said. "The second impression after the conversation is, oh, I get a longer ride where I can make more money? Sign me up."

Permalink to story.

It does make sense. They cut the driver out of equation, capture some of the market they wouldn't otherwise, while leaving more profitable rides to cars. Only problem is Uber has no competitive advantage here. How is this supposed to lessen those $B of losses? Anybody can introduce their own service, as evidenced by them simply buying existing companies.

Uber is loosing the race against time.

It's like Tesla switching over to petrol engines, imagine that.

Where was this published originally - on The Onion by any chance?

Or people could, I dunno, *walk* 10 blocks? Jesus. I'd just institute a minimum ride distance requirement (and maybe create a special needs tier of Uber for those with mobility issues who actually *need* help going 10 blocks). But then I guess they wouldn't be profiting from those people so yeah, give 'em sidewalk hazards to ride. Wouldn't want anyone to accidentally get some exercise.

Or people could, I dunno, *walk* 10 blocks? Jesus. I'd just institute a minimum ride distance requirement (and maybe create a special needs tier of Uber for those with mobility issues who actually *need* help going 10 blocks). But then I guess they wouldn't be profiting from those people so yeah, give 'em sidewalk hazards to ride. Wouldn't want anyone to accidentally get some exercise.

Yes because we need drunk people "walking 10 blocks" because you seem to think everyone who uses Uber is lazy. Your logic is ridiculous.

Yes because we need drunk people "walking 10 blocks" because you seem to think everyone who uses Uber is lazy. Your logic is ridiculous.

Uh... what's wrong with drunk people walking somewhere? Are you saying they're too drunk to walk? The original article itself was saying that shorter distance Uber rides might be handled in the future by *scooters*. Drunk scooter riders (or bicyclists) sounds way worse than drunk walkers to me.

Nobody that gets paid well or has kids wants to walk 10 blocks. Time is money.

Ignore freaks who wear biking pants and ride road bikes in the city. They are the furries of commuters.

Nobody that gets paid well or has kids wants to walk 10 blocks. Time is money.

Annnd that's why we have obesity, people! Hey, here's an idea: teach your kids to walk, *a lot*, and enjoy walking. Also, you assume I don't get paid "well". I walk all over the place and, well... I live in the Bay Area, so I *have* to be at least in the top 25% of earners nationwide, statistically speaking. :laughing:

Back