Ubisoft isn't planning to raise prices on its next-gen games this year

Polycount

Staff
In context: 2K Games recently revealed that it would be raising the price for NBA 2K to $70. This increase was notable, as it was the first time a AAA game publisher had raised the price of a flagship title above $60, barring various special editions or bundle deals, of course.

When this news broke, many gamers immediately feared that other AAA publishers would follow 2K's lead and begin raising the cost of their own next-gen titles to $70 or more. That might seem like a premature reaction, but publishers do tend to copy each other's monetization strategies when they prove successful. Just look at the rise of "live services," loot boxes, and other forms of microtransactions for evidence of that.

However, most other publishers have remained silent on this issue -- until now. In a recent earnings call with investors, Ubisoft addressed the issue of raising prices on next-gen video games directly, stating that all of its games set to release this fall will remain priced at $60.

Former Kotaku editor Jason Schreier was also able to reach out to Ubisoft to confirm that all of the company's games launched over Christmas will, similarly, retain the $60 price point. Those games include the likes of Watch Dogs: Legion and Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, to name a few more notable examples.

Specifically, Ubisoft told Schreier the following:

We are concentrating on the Christmas releases. We have decided those games will be launched at $60.

Obviously, Ubisoft has chosen its words carefully here. It makes no mention of its pricing plans for post-2020 launches, leaving the door open for a planned $10 price hike down the line. Of course, Ubisoft's vague wording could just as easily indicate a "wait and see" mindset. Perhaps the company simply wants to let 2K take the first step into the realm of $70 gaming and gauge the community's reaction before taking the risk for itself.

In any case, we're curious to hear your thoughts on the matter. Do you think $70 games will be the norm for the next generation of consoles (and, by extension, PCs)? If so, is that a price you'd be willing to pay, or are you more likely to wait for AAA games to go on sale before picking them up? Let us know in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

I know my mother used to have a fit when she had to buy us 30$ nintendo games. Of course we could feed a family of 4 with fast food for less than 20$. I have no doubt that companies will raise the game prices. It hasn't been raised in a long time that I remember. And we all know big companies put profits first. So I would expect an increase and not be shocked by it.

Does the price really matter much anymore, I see current gen AAA games going on sale for 15% off within a month or two of launch nowadays even if they are successful.

The price increases haven't been to the initial purchase, they've been to all sorts of add-on content that all used to be included in the base price.

Personally I'd be enthusiastic about an increased base price (it's been the same for what feels like decades), if it was was matched by a return to the all-in philosophy. This would free game designers to concentrate only on what is most entertaining, vs. figuring out how to add in all sorts of negative gameplay elements designed to motivate you to go to the cash shop to alleviate them.

I know my mother used to have a fit when she had to buy us 30$ nintendo games. Of course we could feed a family of 4 with fast food for less than 20$. I have no doubt that companies will raise the game prices. It hasn't been raised in a long time that I remember. And we all know big companies put profits first. So I would expect an increase and not be shocked by it.
I saw most games selling for $40-$50. Even saw Street Fighter going for $70 on Super Nintendo. The prices steadiied around $50 for awhile after the ps1 came out. Then the next gen stuff went to $60. PC gaming during those times enjoyed free dlc with games being cheaper. Man those were the good days. Now a game can be free but we all damn well know that no dev can release a game and get nothing back. Hence microtransactions. Which overall nothing is wrong with that but I dont believe any item should be behind a pay wall. ALL items should be able to be unlocked in game without the need of real money and thats not the case. If someone wants to pay for a item early, wants to skip a few lvl etc etc... thats fine but dont make items so hard to get or be forced to purchase a item that less than 1% of community owns. By doing that it divides a community.

Ubisoft needs to clean up it's actions internal to the company before. That means firing or pressing charges against certain employee(s).... before I'll be interested in supporting the company.

Meh. I won't even pay the $60 to get a AAA game at release. - I wait for a sale or price drop. I don't do MP so I don't need to have a game at launch.

In 2011, I pre-ordered Battlefield 3 so I could play with my clan at launch, and I eventually got all the map packs. Then when BF4 release 2 years later, the BF3 servers dried up and I realized I had spent over $100 for something that was effectively dead in two years. I set a self-imposed cap of $30 and have pretty much stuck to it. Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle, Epic, etc. have so many giveaways and sales that I rarely pay even $20 any more. Although I am considering paying $40 for Star Wars Squadrons.

Just opened Epic Store and noticed following :

1- Assassin's Creed Odyssey - $14
2- Far Cry 5 - $6.5
3- Superhot MCD - $0.8
4- Horizon : Zero Dawn Complete Edition - $14.99

So no, almost none of the games will be $70 on PC.

Last edited:
Wouldn't pay €20 for an NBA game. Currently they are $60 but that is just the base price. Usually if you want all the content you gotta buy premium editions, DLCs, maybe some mtx, season passes and whatnot. I don't really care as I don't play these games and never paid the full price cause sales happen quickly.

A good move would be to leave 2K games on the shelf. They will think twice about raising prices again.
Btw I’m usually buying games when they are at discount below $40/40€ so it’s not my problem.

Can’t remember the last time I bought a game for full price. The idea of paying $60 is ridiculous to me. I want more subscription models, I like them. A small monthly fee is better than hunting around in the sales for offers on games and then buying them and sometimes never playing them. I still haven’t played monster hunter world for example and I paid £16 for that, that’s 4 months of Xbox game pass!

Let me translate: we're afraid of the ignorant backlash from people who can't comprehend the concept of inflation and the ever growing costs of graphics designers, so more and more DLC for ya!

Let me translate: we're afraid of the ignorant backlash from people who can't comprehend the concept of inflation and the ever growing costs of graphics designers, so more and more DLC for ya!
On the flip side, look at all the money Ubisoft has saved on scrapping their creative thinking & QA testing divisions!...

Last edited:
Back