Ubuntu is now available on the Windows Store

David Matthews

Staff member

At Microsoft's Build 2016 conference, the company shocked the tech world when it announced support for Bash shell and the entire Linux command line system on Windows 10. This year the surprise continued by extending its Linux love to SUSE and Fedora distributions as well.

With the first announcement, Microsoft tapped Ubuntu maker Canonical to help ensure smooth Bash performance on Windows as it is on the various Linux distributions. Well, today Canonical is officially releasing Ubuntu in the Windows Store for download right now. Microsoft's Rich Turner also released an official announcement that lays out the benefits of this Windows Store version of Ubuntu as well as some helpful FAQs.

Ubuntu (and SUSE and Fedora eventually) run in a sandboxed environment alongside Windows 10. This implementation also allows it to share hardware and files with Windows 10. This integrated approach allows developers to run Linux command line utilities without having to create a separate partition for dual-booting or creating a virtual machine. The Windows Store integration not only allows for simultaneous Linux distro installations, but also allows to run more than one at a time.

If you're interested in installing Ubuntu and testing it out yourself, navigate to Control Panel and select "Turn Windows features on or off". From there, select the "Windows Subsystem for Linux," which will allow Ubuntu to work. Restart your computer and welcome to this weird world where Microsoft and Linux work harmoniously.

Permalink to story.

"Guess that means no more Windows vs Linux arguments"

Um, that's not even close to what I got from the article.

I cant imagine why anyone who wants to use ubuntu wouldnt want a normal installation for their own convenience and peace of mind .

Is linux still overly complicated? the day I can just double click on what I downloaded and install it will be the day I use linux.....heh. windows and mac have spoiled me
A .deb file can be extracted and installed in a mouse click by a pachage manager called Gdebi. Chrome for instance is distributed that way, as a .deb. On top of that you have thousands of free programs that you can browse in the software center of the distro and install or uninstall them in a single mouse click. The Software center I prefer for the KDE desktop is called Discover. It also deals with the updates of the system, like most other software center.

Last edited:
I'm guessing, since I have not seen mention of one in either story or any of the comments, that there is no GUI with this bistro?

I'm guessing, since I have not seen mention of one in either story or any of the comments, that there is no GUI with this bistro?

Correct. Per the description in the Windows Store link:

"Ubuntu on Windows allows one to use Ubuntu Terminal and run Ubuntu command line utilities including bash, ssh, git, apt and many more"

Correct. Per the description in the Windows Store link:

"Ubuntu on Windows allows one to use Ubuntu Terminal and run Ubuntu command line utilities including bash, ssh, git, apt and many more"
I mean, if anyone really wants to run linux from windows, it probably won't be for the UI.

Linux is it's own worst enemy.
7000 distros.
Snobs in the forums (well maybe not 1 or 2)
Ridiculous file copy protocol
and it will work with this hardware but not that hardware
Can't game like most want
For the most part the community is ok it really depends on what distro you are running, everything else is right on spot, oh my I still remember trying to configure wireless... what a freaking pain.

Can I run Linux programs with this "version" of Linux though? Could I, for example, open R in Ubuntu, run a program, and see the graph output? Could I run ROS, and see the system diagram of all the different running modules?

Just how limited is this environment?

Can I run Linux programs with this "version" of Linux though? Could I, for example, open R in Ubuntu, run a program, and see the graph output? Could I run ROS, and see the system diagram of all the different running modules?

Just how limited is this environment?
Microsoft tapped Ubuntu maker Canonical to help ensure smooth Bash performance on Windows as it is on the various Linux distributions

7000 distros.

#1) I see that as good and bad. Most of the good stuff gets used in most distros so I can't say this is a negative in itself. It's actually quite amazing in one sense.
#2) Snobs are everywhere. I hang out in a couple of Linux chat channels and forums. Some people are very helpful. Trolls are everywhere, on Windows chat channels as well.
#3) I don't have a clue what you mean by statement #3. Maybe you could educate me on that one. I'm not a Linux n00b but I'm not a veteran either. So, somewhere in between.
#4) I installed Linux Mint 18.1/18.2 awhile back and I have had zero problems on my system. It's fairly new so maybe that's part of it. But even Microsoft demands new hardware at some point in the game.
#5) No argument on point #5. Games on Windows have always been the strongest point about using Windows over Linux. Although, when Valve got Steam working on Linux that was one step closer to tightening the gaps.

Linux Mint 18.1/18.2 is one of the finer Linux distros in my opinion. It just works. The install was easy, it recognizes multiple file systems including NTFS. I'm using it right now and there isn't much I can't do other than play GTA V or some other AAA title.

I needed to create a spreadsheet most recently so I gave LibreOffice a try (Calc specifically) and everything I tried to do was possible. And it's completely free. So I'm not going to pay $99 a year to use Office unless absolutely necessary.

I am honestly amazed at what can be done in Linux Mint. And I'm sure it carries overs to most other top distributions like Ubuntu. In fact, I think Mint is a fork of Ubuntu so, there you go. I am thankful for these alternatives and I would say Linux has gotten better and better over the years and I hope it keeps going that way.

Last edited:
#3) I don't have a clue what you mean by statement #3. Maybe you could educate me on that one. I'm not a Linux n00b but I'm not a veteran either. So, somewhere in between.

I used on old monitor and Pi to make a picture frame. I use OSMC to display my 10,000+ photos. It took an entire day to copy the pictures to the SD card so they would display. I asked for help in several forums and found 1 guy that took the time. I want to add more pictures to the card but think I can just copy them to the card? Nope. I gotta deal with permissions. The whole process is a PITA. I forget to mention the irrevocably stupid naming system for most of linux esp files.

I have used many variants of linux for over 20 years and the OS is crap but provides an occasional diversion when I mistakenly think it has matured for the avg user. My fav was Zorin

Is linux still overly complicated? the day I can just double click on what I downloaded and install it will be the day I use linux.....heh. windows and mac have spoiled me

To me it was easier than windows, nothing that complicated in either. Maybe 10 or so years ago it was hard but now it's basically just clicking yes and next buttons when prompted.

I used on old monitor and Pi to make a picture frame. I use OSMC to display my 10,000+ photos. It took an entire day to copy the pictures to the SD card so they would display. I asked for help in several forums and found 1 guy that took the time. I want to add more pictures to the card but think I can just copy them to the card? Nope. I gotta deal with permissions. The whole process is a PITA. I forget to mention the irrevocably stupid naming system for most of linux esp files.

I have used many variants of linux for over 20 years and the OS is crap but provides an occasional diversion when I mistakenly think it has matured for the avg user. My fav was Zorin

I guess personal experience determines ones perceptions in life. Linux Mint 18.1/18.2 has been a very pleasant experience for me. Hardly any issues at all. Except for right now, ironically, the FireFox web browser is pausing every few moments as I type this message.

But to re-iterate what I said earlier, my system components are all fairly new. SkyLake G4500 CPU with ASRock mobo just to give you an idea. I plug my Samsung S3 cellphone in and Linux Mint recognizes it instantly and I copy files to and fro effortlessly.

If your a n00b reading this who wants to check out Linux I highly recommend trying Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Only because I have had good luck with them. Your mileage may vary depending on your hardware.

If Linux were ever to get the equivalent of a DirectX API Microsoft would be in trouble. It's not in the immediate future but It would be cool to see happen. I like competition.

7000 distros.

Have to agree with you on this. If all these developers behind distros merged into just 10-15 distros, we'd have 700x the amount of developers putting in an effort to perfect specific distros. Quality over quantity is what Linux needs. Also I'd love to see much better hardware support so that Linux can appeal more to gamers and casual users. Linux needs to change if it wants to catch on in mainstream computing.

Well, let's see. M$ now has full access to the source code of several distros of Linux.

Linux has been reduced to a toy inside of Windows 10.

Why would the average home user, go through the hassle of control panel then reboot, to play with an unfamiliar OS?

After all, isn't Windows for all intents and purposes simplifying the process of running Linux?

How does this benefit Linux by itself? I say it doesn't, and Nadella is just pandering and prostituting the OS to make himself look, "accommodating".

EDIT: Linux "live CDs" and USB sticks have traditionally been used to rescue files from hosed Windows installations. Given today's march toward no DVD drives, and USB 3.0, there is a chance you might not be able to use it in that manner, particularly with Win 10 controlling the boot order.

Every article that comes out about Windows 10, makes me like it less. IMHO, Win 10 is now, and always will be, a sucker's bet.

Last edited:
Back