Uh oh it won't boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okie

Alright so here's the deal. I don't know if this needs to be in another forum, but this is my first post, so I hope thats a good excuse. Last night I was working on some powerpoint presentations on my computer then I went to unfortunately watch the Heat beat the Mavericks. While I was doing this my girlfriend tried to log into her XP profile, the system locked up and would not go away from the log-in screen on XP. So I suggested she reboot and try again. She did so and when she turned the computer back on the HD, PSU, and chip fan all worked just fine but nothing came up on the monitor. The light on the front of the CPU is supposed to go from orange to green when its done "thinking", and it just stayed orange. I checked for a loose connection, I checked to make sure it wasnt a heat problem, and the PSU seems to be working just fine. Did my motherboard suddenly give up on me? HELP!

Thanks

Its some emachines, which apparently is a problem to begin with, off hand I don't know the model or many specifics on the hardware. I think its a pentium 2, I bought it in Oct 04. I can get more info when I get home from work.

They are going to have to start a sticky entitled "yes your emachine mobo is probably dead." if yours has lasted almost 2 years it has lasted longer than alot of folks. I am begining to loose track of the number of dead emachine mobo's being reported, seems to be an almost daily occurance around here.

you could try unplugging the machine and let it set for a while then plug it back in and see if it boots, but I wouldnt hold my breath.

Tried that. Gonna order a new mobo and PSU tonight just for good measure. Thanks for the help though! Next time I will build myself a REAL computer. lol Stupid tempting rebates!

Alright so I found out that I have a Pentium 4 processor. For some reason the stupid thing doesn't have a model number on it. It came with 512mb ram and a 120gb hard drive.

In order to replace the motherboard you need to know what socket the CPU is. if the machine is two years old or older then it should be a socket 478.

Alright, thanks! I bought it in October of 2004. Im going to take the mobo up to a local computer shop and see what they have tonight.

Ok, so I had the PSU tested and its fine. I got a new mobo and it now works. But for some reason after I put this one in, the LED's on the power button and the HDD don't work. I tried connecting them in different orders, but still nothing. Also the standby option in XP is now gone, anyone know how to fix that? It doesnt do anything if I go to power options. Thanks!

The standby option is probably disabled because you need the latest drivers for all (video, audio, chipset).

I don`t have the standby option in my PC until I update the drivers...

Wolfram is right you need to install the drivers. look in device manager and see if there are any devices showing a yellow question mark or yellow triangle next them.

Ok, so I got all those problems fixed. Now the only thing is the cpu and chip fans are both REALLY loud compared to before. I don't know what to do about that other than trying new fans or a fan controller. When I put the computer in sleep or suspend mode, they don't turn off! I know its all hooked up right, but its insanely loud. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back