UK intelligence agency warns against using Windows 7 for internet banking, email as Microsoft's...

Humza

Staff member
Why it matters: Given that Microsoft's support for Windows 7 is ending today, consumer PCs running the old operating system are left increasingly vulnerable to cyber attacks as newly discovered security loopholes and exploits will no longer be patched. It's why the UK's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) has issued a warning, urging users to update their devices and replace unsupported ones, while refraining from using them for emails, internet banking and accessing other sensitive accounts.

For many people, Windows 7 remains the OS of choice for daily computing. However, the software is hitting its official end-of-life status today, meaning no more security patches or technical assistance from Microsoft going forward, unless you're an enterprise customer paying for the company's Extended Security Update program, which itself will last till January 2023.

Considering that Windows 7 still has over 440 million users worldwide, the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), part of the UK Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), has issued a public warning encouraging people to "upgrade devices currently running Windows 7, allowing them to continue receiving software updates which help protect their devices."

According to The Telegraph, the intelligence agency has urged such users to "replace unsupported devices as soon as possible, to move sensitive data to a supported device and not to use them for tasks like accessing bank and other sensitive accounts." adding that "they should also consider accessing email from a different device."

PCs running an unpatched or out of support operating system become a prime target for malicious attackers and are at a greater risk of falling victim to WannaCry-like malware, making it "crucial to move away from them as quickly as possible."

Microsoft has also repeatedly notified Windows 7 users of the OS's impending end-of-life, and the company will be displaying full-screen Windows 10 upgrade prompts this month in the hope of getting users to make the switch.

Nevertheless, the decade-old OS still commands a respectable market share that's hard to ignore, even for Microsoft. The company will be supporting its Chromium-based Edge browser on Windows 7 for at least 18 more months, following a similar announcement made last week by Google for its popular Chrome browser.

Permalink to story.

Cue the trolls saying "Windows 10 sucks, I'll stick with Windows 7 because if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Well here's the thing: when it comes to software, it breaks ALL THE TIME and requires constant fixes! Suck it up and upgrade.

I do love Windows 7 but the point is well made; it requires and will continue to require LOTS of attention and just is no longer worth the time and effort. I'm not bit on Windows 10 but after eliminating all the bots and other bloatware it's running smoother so I'll stick with it, but I'm looking more seriously at Linux for the future ....

"PCs running an unpatched or out of support operating system become a prime target for malicious attackers and are at a greater risk of falling victim to WannaCry-like malware, making it "crucial to move away from them as quickly as possible." "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hillarious!

I run Windows XP-SP2 "ONLINE" without any Microsoft Security Updates and avoid WannaCry-like malware easily

B.T.W.
Windows 10 Sucks!

Then with that kind of luck, you should have won the Powerball by now. Next you'll tell us that you always leave your front & back doors unlocked, your home windows unscreened & wide open, & your car is always parked with all the windows rolled down, doors unlocked, & keys out on the front seat. Since, after all, that's the excact metaphor for what you're doing with your PC.

But since it's been a long time since modern apps & games worked with even patched versions of WinXP (SP2), let alone an unpatched version, I'm guessing that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

If not...well, let's just say you'll probably hear from some Nigerian princes any day now...

Then with that kind of luck, you should have won the Powerball by now. Next you'll tell us that you always leave your front & back doors unlocked, your home windows unscreened & wide open, & your car is always parked with all the windows rolled down, doors unlocked, & keys out on the front seat. Since, after all, that's the excact metaphor for what you're doing with your PC.

But since it's been a long time since modern apps & games worked with even patched versions of WinXP (SP2), let alone an unpatched version, I'm guessing that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

If not...well, let's just say you'll probably hear from some Nigerian princes any day now...

You must be new to computers or sumthing

I run XP-SP2 with a full Admin account, and an antivirus that expired in 2015
So far, there is no Internet malware on the planet that can wreck my box

I know because I study malware with this very box

My XP box is completely locked down and secured from malware which is something you cannot do with Spyware Platform 10 (or even 7)

Someday, if you ever become a real Windows Security professional like me, you will understand what the problem is

Or, just keep drinking the Microsoft Cool-Aid and believe whatever you want to believe

It's your choice Neo

"PCs running an unpatched or out of support operating system become a prime target for malicious attackers and are at a greater risk of falling victim to WannaCry-like malware, making it "crucial to move away from them as quickly as possible." "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hillarious!

I run Windows XP-SP2 "ONLINE" without any Microsoft Security Updates and avoid WannaCry-like malware easily

B.T.W.
Windows 10 Sucks!
How do you do it? I only use mine for games and I have back up.

You must be new to computers or sumthing

I run XP-SP2 with a full Admin account, and an antivirus that expired in 2015
So far, there is no Internet malware on the planet that can wreck my box

I know because I study malware with this very box

My XP box is completely locked down and secured from malware which is something you cannot do with Spyware Platform 10 (or even 7)

Someday, if you ever become a real Windows Security professional like me, you will understand what the problem is

Or, just keep drinking the Microsoft Cool-Aid and believe whatever you want to believe

It's your choice Neo

Good luck with that. The only pill taken is the hard to swallow one, that will come rocketing back up when the equivalent of an internet malware sneezing will cripple your PC faster than a non-vaxxer in a clinic.

But don't let professionals, the vendor, industry, or world governments tell you otherwise. It's all a conspiracy, Neo.

Good luck with that. The only pill taken is the hard to swallow one, that will come rocketing back up when the equivalent of an internet malware sneezing will cripple your PC faster than a non-vaxxer in a clinic.

But don't let professionals, the vendor, industry, or world governments tell you otherwise. It's all a conspiracy, Neo.

You've wasted your life
You coulda been a commedian!

Cue the trolls saying "Windows 10 sucks, I'll stick with Windows 7 because if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Well here's the thing: when it comes to software, it breaks ALL THE TIME and requires constant fixes! Suck it up and upgrade.

"Well here's the thing: when it comes to software, it ALL breaks ALL THE TIME and requires constant fixes only if there are changes! Suck kool-aid up and downgrade to Win10. More changes mean more fixes!"

FTFY

"Well here's the thing: when it comes to software, it ALL breaks ALL THE TIME and requires constant fixes only if there are changes! Suck kool-aid up and downgrade to Win10. More changes mean more fixes!"

FTFY
But there are ALWAYS changes... new software gets written every day that many people actually want to use! I don't want to run Office 2007 any more... I want to run Office 2019... I also feel like playing games released in 2019... not 2007...

So, while you're correct... you're also just a Windows 7 troll :)

"Anyone on Windows 7 planning to upgrade to the "safer" Windows 10 might want to wait a day or two... "

So wait a day or two... that's kind of my entire point... if the NSA discovers this same vulnerability on a previous version of Windows, you're SOL...

The thing is, in a couple of days (if not sooner), there will be a security patch that fixes this :)

This vulnerability is "speculated" to go all the way back to XP, which (of course) I use for testing vulnerabilities

https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-windows-patch-tuesday-cryptographic-security-patch

Last edited:
@Squid Surprise I don't have any bank accounts in the Cayman islands, nor do I use M$ mail service.

I use Windows 7 Home Premium, (32 bit) almost exclusively to come here and annoy you people, and I have no intention of "upgrading" any time soon..! :p

Squid Surprise said
But there are ALWAYS changes... new software gets written every day that many people actually want to use!
-------------------
There are always changes to Spyware Platform 10!

There are never changes to Windows XP!

I can run both on the same computer and switch between them as quickly as I can reboot

I only use what works on XP and I never go online when testing Spyware Platform 10

For general online use, I use Linux!

Squid Surprise said
But there are ALWAYS changes... new software gets written every day that many people actually want to use!
-------------------
There are always changes to Spyware Platform 10!

There are never changes to Windows XP!

I can run both on the same computer and switch between them as quickly as I can reboot

I only use what works on XP and I never go online when testing Spyware Platform 10

For general online use, I use Linux!
Well, here's the thing... that vulnerability on Windows 10 you were harping about?

Well, it's been patched now... BUT... it also affects 20 years worth of Windows OSes!! Including your fantastic Windows XP.... guess which OS WON'T be receiving a patch because support has ended for it? Uh, yep... Windows XP :)

Yet another reason to make sure you are always using an OS that is SUPPORTED by its vendor, as you never know when a security flaw might be found.

...[ ]...If not...well, let's just say you'll probably hear from some Nigerian princes any day now.....[ ]...
But nobody here is stupids enough to respond..

Although we have a Nigerian prince as a member, @yRaz He always gives me the best deals at the best prices. Although shipping from Nigeria to the US does seem painfully slow. The child bride he promised me is six months overdue. (No, not like that silly).

Even gmail cuts those scams out of the herd before you even see them. You almost have to want to click on those bogus links.

Unless of course, it's someone you're conspiring with outside the company you work for. Then you should be able to find them immediately.

I'm sure spying agencies know a lot about loopholes they paid Microsoft to add to Windows. Now they've exposed the Windows 7 loopholes, but they are very silent about Windows 10 loopholes, which were added on their demand as well.

It's like pharmaceuticals. They advertise their cures as absolutely the best, but when the patent expires, they immediately "discover" a ton of horrible side effects. But good thing is: the new cure, patented just last week, don't have those same side effects. And which side effects it has..... you'll discover in 20 years, when the new cure's patent expires.

I'm sure spying agencies know a lot about loopholes they paid Microsoft to add to Windows. Now they've exposed the Windows 7 loopholes, but they are very silent about Windows 10 loopholes, which were added on their demand as well.

It's like pharmaceuticals. They advertise their cures as absolutely the best, but when the patent expires, they immediately "discover" a ton of horrible side effects. But good thing is: the new cure, patented just last week, don't have those same side effects. And which side effects it has..... you'll discover in 20 years, when the new cure's patent expires.
Got any sources for this nonsense?

Well, here's the thing... that vulnerability on Windows 10 you were harping about?

Well, it's been patched now... BUT... it also affects 20 years worth of Windows OSes!! Including your fantastic Windows XP.... guess which OS WON'T be receiving a patch because support has ended for it? Uh, yep... Windows XP :)

Yet another reason to make sure you are always using an OS that is SUPPORTED by its vendor, as you never know when a security flaw might be found.

The link you provided indicated that older systems were "likely" vulnerable, not "factually" vulnerable

If you Google this>
does the Crypt32.dll vulnerability affect windows 7 or XP?

You get speculation from 3 days ago about which systems are affected

However, if you Google this>
does the Crypt32.dll vulnerability affect only windows 10?

You get newer information that is not speculation

The vulnerability affects Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016/2019

Many sites have updated their responses on this vulnerability in the past 2 days

Could it affect XP?
I couldnt care less!

Last edited:
The link you provided indicated that older systems were "likely" vulnerable, not "factually" vulnerable

If you Google this>
does the Crypt32.dll vulnerability affect windows 7 or XP?

You get speculation from 3 days ago about which systems are affected

However, if you Google this>
does the Crypt32.dll vulnerability affect only windows 10?

You get newer information that is not speculation

The vulnerability affects Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016/2019

Many sites have updated their responses on this vulnerability in the past 2 days

Could it affect XP?
I couldnt care less!
That would be MY point....yes, you run a read-only version of XP that virtually noone else in the world uses... yippee for you...

For the rest of the PC users out there, using an out-dated OS leaves their computers vulnerable. While Windows 10 also has vulnerabilities, once they are discovered, they get fixed or patched fairly quickly.

The same goes for web browser vulnerabilities... you could use Netscape, of course - but good luck getting someone to patch that for you...

Back