UK's ASA probes Apple over the new iPad's 4G data claims

Leeky

Apple's new iPad is facing yet more scrutiny for being advertised as a 4G device, this time by the UK's Advertising Standards Agency (ASA). According to the BBC, ASA has widened their inquiry into the Cupertino-based firm's product advertising after receiving further complaints from British consumers.

Although Apple had previously complied with ASA requests to amend the claims about 4G on the tablet, the watchdog is still unhappy despite the removal of several 4G references from its product webpage, and the editing of a promotional video to remove the 4G advertising.

The UK currently has no national 4G service. Although trials are underway, which will eventually spread country-wide, those will remain incompatible with the iPad's 4G hardware due to operating on a different frequency band to the tablet's 4G LTE based hardware. The same is true for the rest of Europe, which will use different network frequencies to those used in the US and Canada.

It appears the ASA is still less than impressed with the network data enabled model being listed as a "WiFi + 4G" device, especially since the major UK network operators logos appear right beside the 4G text. "If it appears that the problem claims we asked Apple to remove are still appearing, we will investigate these new complaints,," the regulator said in a statement.

apple ipad

Most of the complaints are focusing on this, although a source for Apple speaking to the BBC made it clear they didn't have plans to remove all traces of 4G from the UK website. As it currently stands however, people could potentially be duped into purchasing the popular tablet with 4G hardware expecting it to work with Vodafone, O2, Orange and Three at higher speeds when that isn't really the case.

Apple has similar problems in Australia, after industry regulators sued Apple, accusing them of misleading consumers with its iPad's 4G claims. In a recent hearing, Apple offered to give refunds to any iPad owner that felt they had been mislead by the company's advertising regarding 4G data speeds. The trial between the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and Apple is due to start tomorrow.

It's currently unclear if the refund offer will be extended to those in the UK. Apple did not respond to requests for further comment.

Permalink to story.

The day the iPad 3 came out in the UK, I walked past a Square shop selling it with a big sign that said "4G" all over it and i thought to myself "But the UK doesn't have any 4G networks unless you live in the rich part of London and managed to get onto the o2 trial for 4G".

Glad I wasn't the only person who picked up on the fact that here in the UK, not only do we not have 4G, but the signals going to be used will be useless with the iPad anyway...

A friend of mine has just purchased a New iPad and the Apple Store salesperson actually used 4G as a selling point. He still will not believe me that not only is there no 4G service available in the UK it won't work when there is one.

This does trouble me some, I'm no hater or fan boy but this surely is wrong, especially when you are paying so much?

Eventually the UK will have 4G. All apple needs to do is make I pads that will work on that frequency when they do. Besides if the I pad can't find a 4G network it can always fall back on 3G. Its only a tad slower then 4G.

I think you're somewhat missing the point. The product is being sold now as a 4G product when it is not available yet. Also, when it is, it will not be compatible.

Yes future models could be altered, but what about the one that was purchased today?

This is the reason we have strict advertising laws, to stop people being mislead, no matter how small the details.

They should probe Apple in the Sudan - we don't even get half a "G".

LOL

They should probe Apple and its executives as though they were alien abductees.............. ROFLMAO....

Not a big Apple fan, but the I-Pad IS 4G, not their fault Europe isn't. Not their fault Europe is choosing to go a different direction for 4G speeds than the U.S. either.

Back