Ultra High-Definition: CEA gives a new name to 4K resolution TVs

Jos

Staff

With the marketing push behind 3DTVs slowly fading away, TV manufacturers are already looking at 4K technology as the next major industry development to help boost sales. With that in mind the Consumer Electronics Association took the first step towards an industry-wide marketing strategy, labeling the technology as "Ultra High-Definition", and laying out the criteria that must be met to carry the moniker.

In a nutshell, displays must have at least eight million active pixels, an aspect ratio of 16 x 9 and a resolution of at least 3840 x 2160 pixels. Ultra HD televisions and displays must also have at least one digital input capable of delivering native 4K format video at 3,840 x 2,160 without up converting it.

To put that into perspective, current HDTV displays top out at a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080.

ultra high definition

The idea behind marketing 4K as Ultra HD is to make it more obvious to consumers what the technology means and help them "navigate the marketplace to find the TV that best meets their needs"

That said, there are only a handful of products that can handle 4K video in the market, and at the moment there isn’t much content you can play on them beyond a 4K film called “TimesScapes” or outputting your PC screen. Furthermore, it’ll be a while before Ultra HD TVs are available at mainstream prices, with the first 84-inch models from Sony and LG priced somewhere between $20,000 and $25,000.

It’s also worth noting that while on paper Ultra HD has four times the resolution as current HD televisions, experts argue that the technology makes sense in movie theaters and digital projection, but you’re unlikely to notice the difference at home unless you have a huge TV well above 80-inches.

Be that as it may Ultra HD is expected to take a prominent place at next year's CES in Las Vegas.

Permalink to story.

Looks like the TV I've been waiting for is outside of my price range of possibility.

Call me when tv signal in my country (Belgium) is at least streamed in REAL HD, instead of that half assed 720p ... Then we can start thinking about something new and better

Call me when tv signal in my country (Belgium) is at least streamed in REAL HD, instead of that half assed 720p ... Then we can start thinking about something new and better

We still have 4:3 here, I think the res is VGA.

Really? "Ultra HD"?

What comes when 8K arrives? "Ultra Mega HD"?

I'd rather 4K, plain and simple. Besides, even though 720p is technically HD, people still confuses HD and FHD. So, at least here in my country people buy 720p tv thinking they have FHD resolutions, and boxes don't help at all, not giving the screen resolution at first sight.

"but you?re unlikely to notice the difference at home unless you have a huge TV well above 80-inches." You gota be friking kidding me? There's and 80 in on display at bestbuy thats 1080p and it looks terrible unless your 20 feet away from it. I like sitting 6 feet away from my 55" and I still can notice the pixles, at 60" you can really see them. So 4K really would make a difference. Also I have a 2560x1440 Asus 27" monitor thats about 2.5 feet from me and I can tell a huge difference between that and 1080p esspecially in games like GTA IV.

Or Extra FullHD or Super FullHD or 8M TV or Extended FullHD but all upconverted from DVD source, no problem, you will buy again 3rd times same movies

Although sounds awesome, doesn't make a lick of difference until they get signal broadcasts up to that level (as has already been pointed out).

"but you?re unlikely to notice the difference at home unless you have a huge TV well above 80-inches." You gota be friking kidding me? There's and 80 in on display at bestbuy thats 1080p and it looks terrible unless your 20 feet away from it. I like sitting 6 feet away from my 55" and I still can notice the pixles, at 60" you can really see them. So 4K really would make a difference. Also I have a 2560x1440 Asus 27" monitor thats about 2.5 feet from me and I can tell a huge difference between that and 1080p esspecially in games like GTA IV.

Well for games you probably could tell more of a difference, but for movies it's actually much harder to spot.

I'm not saying you cant tell a difference, but I'm sure a lot of average people won't be able to unless its on a giant screen.

Heck, some of them think 720p = 1080p just by looking at my Galaxy S3. I have to explain to them what native resolution is all the time.

"To qualify as Ultra HD, a display needs to have a resolution of at least 3,840 pixels horizontally and at least 2,160 pixels vertically, the CEA said."

I knew they would dumb it down.. *sigh*
so we really aren't getting 4k X 4k aka 4,000 x 4,000.

It’s also worth noting that while on paper Ultra HD has four times the resolution as current HD televisions, experts argue that the technology makes sense in movie theaters and digital projection, but you're unlikely to notice the difference at home unless you have a huge TV well above 80-inches.
I completely agree.

My 20" monitor has a resolution of 1600 x 900. A viewing distance of 1.5 feet and I can barely see any blocky edges. Meaning a viewing distance of 3 feet would allow a 40" monitor before any block edges are noticed. Increasing the resolutions width and height 2.4 times to 3840 x 2160 would minimize these blocky edges on a 80" monitor from a distance of 3 feet. Since the viewing distance would normally be 6 feet or greater, I highly doubt anyone would notice a difference between 1080P or 2160P(I assume 2160P will be used for association). If anyone does suggest a difference is noticeable from 6 feet of distance, they must have above average eyes sight (especially if viewing a motion picture).

I think its awesome.
Bring it on, I'll buy one just to see how games look. Although I might need to sell my 2GB GTX 670 and get a pair of 4GB GTX 670's for that rez (I play at 1600p now), will need more frame buffer!
lol I know games and todays GPUs may not go up that high...but soon. :devil:

Ultra High-Definition on tv in ireland id say 15 years time lol and the price is amazing ?25000 thats a bargain for your ordinary customer in these great times were in :)

what's wrong with 720p >_>

Nothing wrong with that if your HDTV is only 720p capable. For those of us who owned Full HD (1080p) sets, 720p is not enough to do justice to our sets.

Back