UN chief says fossil fuels are "incompatible with human survival" as world breaks temperature...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? An unwelcome record was set last Thursday when global surface air temperatures briefly rose by more than 1.5 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels. The average global temperatures for the start of the month were the highest ever recorded, leading the head of the United Nations to publicly attack fossil fuel companies, calling their products "incompatible with human survival."

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said that countries must phase out the burning of coal, oil, and gas. He added that the current policies would lead to average temperatures of 2.8 degrees above pre-industrial times by the end of the century, nearly double the UN's goal of a 1.5-degree rise.

"That spells catastrophe. Yet the collective response remains pitiful. We are hurtling towards disaster, eyes wide open, with far too many willing it all on wishful thinking, unproven technologies and silver bullet solutions. It's time to wake up and step up," said the Secretary-General.

Guterres went on to accuse fossil fuel companies of attempting to "knee-cap" progress on battling climate change.

"Last year, the oil and gas industry reaped a record $4 trillion windfall in net income," Guterres said, following a meeting with civil society groups (via AP). "Yet for every dollar it spends on oil and gas drilling and exploration, only 4 cents went to clean energy and carbon capture – combined."

"Trading the future for thirty pieces of silver is immoral," he added.

Guterres said the industry needs to put forward a credible plan for moving to clean energy and "away from a product incompatible with human survival." The biggest step would be investing fossil fuel companies' massive profits into renewable energy. He also called on financial institutions to stop financing fossil fuel projects and encouraged those who already have to continue doing the right thing.

"Countries are far off-track in meeting climate promises and commitments. I see a lack of ambition. A lack of trust. A lack of support. A lack of cooperation. And an abundance of problems around clarity and credibility."

One proposal that has been put forward by the fossil fuel companies in recent times is for them to continue removing oil and gas from the Earth if they can remove the greenhouse gases from the process. But experts say this plan would be too complicated and too costly.

"The problem is not simply fossil fuel emissions," Guterres said. "It's fossil fuels – period."

Rising global temperatures have seen more proposals put forward this year for addressing climate change. In January, researchers suggested creating a shield around the Earth by blasting dust mined from the moon into space using a rail gun. This could dim the sun by as much as 2%, or around six days of sunlight per year, thereby lowering the Earth's temperature.

Other recent ideas include a temperature regulation method that stores and exchanges heat using underground water, and a technology designed to capture carbon dioxide using ocean water.

Permalink to story.

So we hit 1.5 degrees over the pre-industrial average and not a lot happened - and lets face it we have less than 0.7 degrees over the 1979 average (since which the world has produced twice the CO2 cumulatively than the previous 220 years combined - 1173 Billion Tonnes v 563 Billion tonnes, and that was only up to year end 2021). Hence a doubling of CO2 produced has led to only an increase of 0.7 degrees - so it would take another doubling of CO2 emissions to then hit the old 2 degrees fear limit. Hmmm, not sure there really is an emergency......

Not everyone believes in Climate Change and it's unfair to force your beliefs on others.
Unfortunately for such people, science doesn't require one to believe in it. The scientific consensus on human-caused contemporary climate change is in overwhelming agreement that it is real.

If any reader wishes to believe otherwise, that's their prerogative to do so. They're also free to express such beliefs in our comments, providing they comply with the terms of use. Specifically note that posting misinformation and negativism is considered trolling here, which will result in posts being edited or removed entirely.

After a disaster when 35% of world population die, then they teke action…

The more humans gone the less pollution the longer the world survives.
It should never have got to this.
Maths should dictate the amount of resources defining the population able to manage, not cope then die.
Most jobs make crap material things that are of no long term consequence. These should be banned. Jobs lost. And the number required lowered.
Problem is capitalism doesn't work with the people and the ideals to survive. It works on theories of greed and corruption and those who have money want more so they allow the awful practices to take place.

Not everyone believes in Climate Change and it's unfair to force your beliefs on others.

Honestly? Troll much? Or maths isn't your strong suit. Even if climate change wasn't an issue the number of people living in tight spaces will breed hatred and wars. Best to make a planet that works than societies that want to destroy each other. But you carry on buying into the corrupt fkd up system.

Isn't this entire article "negativism" towards human life as we know it?

I joke, I joke...

I don't care about humans is the fact they think they deserve to survive their douchey existence is the reason they are killing themselves. No one needs to wipe anyone out. Kim jong thicko made his people suffer for nuclear weapons.

The world is more at risk from humans in general than that pleb.

The UN Chief is a political animal and knows nothing about what is or isn't "incompatible with human survival"

Weirdly your comment is probably the most captivating. If he is just a scaremonger than yeah what a dik but still capitalism needs wiping off the face off this earth. Its a poor religion to follow, but follow it we are forced to.

So we hit 1.5 degrees over the pre-industrial average and not a lot happened - and lets face it we have less than 0.7 degrees over the 1979 average (since which the world has produced twice the CO2 cumulatively than the previous 220 years combined - 1173 Billion Tonnes v 563 Billion tonnes, and that was only up to year end 2021). Hence a doubling of CO2 produced has led to only an increase of 0.7 degrees - so it would take another doubling of CO2 emissions to then hit the old 2 degrees fear limit. Hmmm, not sure there really is an emergency......

I do like your comment too, maths. Lovely. However, isn't it like passing a certain point means we are ****ed is that 2 degrees that point, and is it not that the small amount we have gained will expedite? If not I'll just have a beer and watch my energy sucking oled.

We need a forum that weeds out misinformation. Or is there a site I can get into that does that?

Unfortunately for such people, science doesn't require one to believe in it. The scientific consensus on human-caused contemporary climate change is in overwhelming agreement that it is real.

If any reader wishes to believe otherwise, that's their prerogative to do so. They're also free to express such beliefs in our comments, providing they comply with the terms of use. Specifically note that posting misinformation and negativism is considered trolling here, which will result in posts being edited or removed entirely.
If everyone decides 2+2=5 that doesn't change the reality that it is still 4.

The climate changes naturally and has done for millions of years. We had basically zero influence on it back then. The fix however is another matter. I think we're attempting to close the door, after the horse has bolted.
However, if we planted a forest the size of the U.S, it would store over 200 billion tons of carbon, which is two thirds of the 300 billion tons that have been emitted since the industrial revolution. It might make moving around the U.S a little more difficult but the rest of the world would thank you for your sacrifice.
:p

Fortunately, science doesn't rely on consensus. It relies on repeatable experimental results. "Everyone" agreeing to be wrong, doesn't make it science.

I don't care about humans is the fact they think they deserve to survive their douchey existence is the reason they are killing themselves. No one needs to wipe anyone out. Kim jong thicko made his people suffer for nuclear weapons.

The world is more at risk from humans in general than that pleb.
Just to confirm, you're not a human?

We need to wake up, step up, and invest those massive fossil fuel profits into clean energy. Otherwise, we're heading towards a major catastrophe.
Small oil and gas company owner here. I am doing exactly that. I am almost done securing the funding for my company's first windmill in west Texas. We should start building in 2024. Don't for one second think that these large O&G companies are not ready to do the same while still lobbying for big oil.

Florida was supposed to be underwater 20 years ago, mass starvation and widespread thirst.

None of that happened.

Now we have these jokers using the same language,t he same doomday screaming, all while enjoying their multi million dollar beachfront properties taking private flights to discuss what is good for us, the peasants.

Why does anyone take these jokers seriously?

Just to confirm, you're not a human?
Burty117, thanks to the *****s on the planet who the media want to allow their right to be thick and say there are more than two genders on this nyah planet... I can be whatever I like and say No, I am a plant based kettle drum from a galaxy beyond. Climate change or lack of resources, its chicken or the egg, either way this little species of humanoids is heading for the town of "itsallfkadeefkd!" population "insert googles numbers now".

Would you go back in time and Kill Hitler to save all those lives ? hint you need a calcualtor.
Small oil and gas company owner here. I am doing exactly that. I am almost done securing the funding for my company's first windmill in west Texas. We should start building in 2024. Don't for one second think that these large O&G companies are not ready to do the same while still lobbying for big oil.
It's not just about money, it's about easy money, capitalism is the most retarded concept. And that word is so apt, as it slows down the true potential. The quick buck. Systems already in place, no need to change. Hold on as long as you can to easy street, until they are forced to take a left onto, slightly inconvenient but just as profitable lane.
Canabis got kicked out of the states because the Timber companies got scared they were going to be sent down that lane. Lobbyists slow down progress. See.

In the 90's, when a lot of the current hysteria about "man made global warming" started (I remember in the 70's all of the smog they said would cause a new ice age), the melting ice in the northern hemisphere around greenland, Sweden or somewhere up there, uncovered an abandoned settlement that dated to the 12th or 13th century.
Scientist were all gaa gaa about the discovery, what they found etc. But NOT ONCE did someone say "hey, wait a minute! How was it so warm up here, to have a sustainable settlement, without the burning of fossile fuels that started in the 19th century?" It was WARM enough back then that there wasn't any ice, but now, that ice is melting and that's dangerous. Heck, the Sahara desert was once green too. Was it the pyramids that turned it into a desert?
My point is the climate on Earth, for the most part, is controlled by that tiny little bright thing 90 million miles away called the SUN. As the magnetic output changes, on a typical 11 year cycle, so does the weather patterns on Earth. Should we be good stewards of our planet? Yes! Should be ban all fossil fuels?
not until a RELIABLE replacement is developed. Wind/solar only work when the wind is blowing and the sun is shining, not to mention the amount of mining required to aquire the minerals for the batteries.
Nuclear, clean coal & gas are better options.
As someone who grew up in the 60's, the air pollution today is pretty much zero, to what it was then.
Also, punishing Americans by restricting our use of fossil fuels is wrong, when nations like China & India
are allowed to do whatever they want.

Over the past decade or two I've replaced virtually all paper usage with digital mechanisms. While this was a successful transition, none of it was facilitated by the companies making the paper -- it all came from the companies making the digital technologies.

My point is that I have no idea why the secretary general is surprised that only a tiny fraction of the "oil & gas industry" is focused on things other than oil & gas. The area I live is up to 33% of all energy coming from renewable sources, but the fraction we still spend on oil & gas goes to, you guessed it, oil & gas.

I think there's lots of good reasons to want renewable, cleaner energy that does not require supporting foreign governments with which we have many concerns and occasional wars, I'm just expecting those breakthroughs to come from new ventures funded for and focused on those new areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back