Unable to boot Windows XP, Activation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, before anything, the computer was working before this started happening, it could be an infection problem.

Now, I'm unable to boot Windows in any mode, I don't have the Recovery CD, it goes like this:
After booting the computer, it goes past the POST and goes to the Windows logo loading screen, the one with the blue loading bar, as normal. After it completes loading it goes to the black "safemode" screen (as if I had chosen to boot in safemode eventhough its in Normal boot mode). It then changes to the blue "Welcome" screen and then gives me an error message saying: "This copy of WIndows has to be activated to be able to log in. Do you want to do it now?".
If I click yes, the screen changes to the black "safemode" screen and then gives me a warning message saying: "You cannot activate Windows in safemode. Restart your computer in Normal mode to activate." and the only thing I can do is click Ok and it changes back to the "Welcome" screen and finally shows the Users to log into Windows. I cannot log into Windows because it keeps asking for me to activate, going through the same process, and if I click No it just reloads the Users screen and basically stays the same. So the only thing I'm able to do is to Shut down or Restart.

I have tried [really] booting in safemode through F8 and it goes well until after going through the black "safemode" screen and then changing to the blue "Welcome" screen, going through the same Activating process as booting in Normal mode. I am then unable to do anything because it does that with any booting option I use by pressing F8.

The thing is that even booting in Normal mode using F8, it shows the black "safemode" screen after the windows logo loading screen but doesn't load the safemode files (as it normally would do when choosing to boot in safemode). I have considered reformatting but is there a way around this without using the Windows repair CD? Thanks for the attention.

Obviously, you need to obtain a Windows install disk to run in repair mode and get it going. You cannot afford the $88 it costs, or are you just being stubborn.
When you get the disk, perhaps you should choose the telephone activation option with those nice ladies in Canada.

I have a different Windows XP version CD, that's why I cannot use it with the one that its currently installed on the computer.

I don't know since the computer isn't actually mine, the owner also did some changes to some of the hardware that was originally in the computer, although the case its a Compaq Presario SR1410NX, I'm pretty sure its not the original case though. Sorry but didn't bother opening the case to check the hardware up since I had the option to reformat, luckily the owner was able to make a backup of the files before the computer turned unusable. So I don't want to go through any more problems and just go the easy way.

I know that if it's a hardware problem I'll still have to open up and check it up but I don't think it is. So we'll see that happens, thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it!

Activation

You say it is a different CD to current version on pc of windows, have you considered that you cannot activate windows on different computers and that disc may have already been used with a previous computer so you will either have to buy a new windows disc or patch/crack the windows activation product.
Let me know whats happening

Whispers........

jhnroy said:
so you will either have to buy a new windows disc or patch/crack the windows activation product.
This is about as far as this discussion would be permitted to go on this site.

sorry captaincranky im new to this so i basically need to get to know the rules still
thanks for letting me know
john

Well just to clarify, I have not used the CD on any computer, and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been used on another one since I bought it a while ago but never got to use it on the extra computer that I was planning to build (which didn't happen, had to use money on other stuff =\).

I would recommend you get in touch with Microsoft and let them know what is happening as for they may be able to resolve the problem for you on the phone same day.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back