Unable to Log into Windows XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently i have been unable log into windows xp home from both the welcome screen and the standard login. i am able to run safe mode, but not with networking. i have tried loading the last configuration to no avail.

when i try to log in using an administrator level account it gets past the "loading settings" to show the wallpaper and then a strange prompt comes up. it is a small window with a red circle and a white x through it. the options underneath are "yes" and "no". alt +f4 doesn't work, ctrl + alt + del doesn't work. under a nomal account the same prompt comes up but only has an option of "ok".

i have used adaware and mcaffee in safe mode - no problems detected.

jkuehn said:
Just recently i have been unable log into windows xp home from both the welcome screen and the standard login. i am able to run safe mode, but not with networking. i have tried loading the last configuration to no avail.

when i try to log in using an administrator level account it gets past the "loading settings" to show the wallpaper and then a strange prompt comes up. it is a small window with a red circle and a white x through it. the options underneath are "yes" and "no". alt +f4 doesn't work, ctrl + alt + del doesn't work. under a nomal account the same prompt comes up but only has an option of "ok".

i have used adaware and mcaffee in safe mode - no problems detected.

When in safe mode do
Start / Run / MSCONFIG
Something in there is loading at start up and thats the problem, disable anything you dont recognise and OK out of it, you will get a warning about "Selective startup" or something.

Reboot and see if it goes away, if it does its something you have unticked you should be able to work it out from there.

ok i forgot to mention that i have already tried msconfig, but not extensively aka i unchecked everything but load services on the first tab. i will try some more tonight and see if that gets me anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back