Uninstall Norton first before installing AVG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided not to renew my Norton Anti-Virus 2005 subscription and attempted to download and install AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. But I did so without first uninstalling Norton. The download and installation went great but when I tried to restart my computer this message appeared on an otherwise black screen: "While initializing device LMOUSE." Nothing else. This occurred twice. I somehow managed to restart my computer but decided I should uninstall AVG to avoid a possible crash. I really want to dump Norton and try AVG. Should I first uninstall Norton before installing AVG? What if I run into more problems restarting? Won't my computer be at risk while I make the switch? Thank you.

janlorr

What verson of Windows? Looks like 9x or Me..

And you should uninstall Norton, period. No "before AVG" or whatever. Norton is eevil.

without question, YES. Do not run more than 1 antivirus software on any machine. Doing so can cause severe problems.
If you still want to use norton utilities, just uninstall the anti-virus portion and then install AVG Free.

Uninstalling Norton without Norton Removal Tool

I found a better way than using the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall Norton Antivirus. I used Windows' Add/Remove Programs and deleted all Norton, Symantec, and LiveUpdate items. Then I deleted my c:/Program Files/Norton Antivirus, and Symnatec folders, then the c:/Program Files/Common Files/Symantec Shared folder. To be sure all traces of Norton were gone, I emptied the Recycle Bin. It was very simple and I didn't need to resort to Norton's Removal Tool. Maybe this method will work for others too. I have since downloaded and installed AVG and now my computer runs great. Just thought I'd share with you guys.

janlorr

Uninstalling Norton via add remove programmes is ok, as long as it works. However, there are many people who have serious problems with doing it that way and therefore the Norton removal tool is the best way forward. In any case, I recommend using the removal tool as it gets rid of lots of hidden files and registry entries.

Regards Howard :)

Uninstalling Norton without Removal Tool

I agree with you 100%, Howard! Every system is different and I have friends who have successfully uninstalled Norton via Add/Remove Programs and some who ran into problems doing so and were forced to turn to Norton's Removal Tool. I am one of the lucky ones because so far my PC is performing much, much smoother than when I had Norton. But I'm keeping a watchful eye on things because nowadays one can't be too careful, can one? Thank you for sharing your opinion, Howard.

janlorr

I think when uninstalling Norton it doesnt remove everything from registry.

janlorr said:
Should I first uninstall Norton before installing AVG?
janlorr
Not just yes, but HELL Yes!!!

Go to Symantec's site & find a manual uninstall (cleanup) prgm for NAV, or if don't have (used to), find instructions for manually uninstalling it.

Also, many software sites forums (Kaspersky, Zone Alarm, etc.) have very good instructions on what to check for or uninstall from a previous AV and/or FW. They OFTEN give specific instr for Norton and McAfee because they cause so many probs for other prgms, even if you used their (inadequate) uninstall utility.

You will like AVG 7.5 I've been using AVG for about three years now with no problems. And I also like the AVG spy-ware program to.
Good Luck:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back