Uninstalling Java updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xfactor

Hi,

I have 3 java updates (2,3,5)in my control panel that seem to be taking up alot of usage 111.00 MB, 111.00MB & 114.00 MB.

Can I uninstall any or all of these??? Do I really need all three? ty

Go ahead and uninstall the older versions. Occasionally, some applications will run with one version but not another for some reason but generally I would uninstall the old versions.

Okay Thankyou,

One more Q:

Should I uninstall any of these:

1.MS.net framework 2.0 SP1/184 MB
a. MS compression client1 for windows Xp/Remove only

2.MS office standard/126MB

3.MS proffesional edition/112MB
a.MS user mode driver framework feature pack 1/Remove only

4.MS visual c+ 2005 redistributable/5.2MB

As you see, I have no idea what these are, or even if I need them.
Any suggestions??

Note: Just installed servive pack 3 a few days ago.

I haven't installed SP3 myself. I don't know about all of those items. You might need some of them to run some applications. I've uninstalled MS visual c+ 2005 without problems. I know you need .NET framework in order to install ATI's Catalyst Control Center. There might be other things that require it as well.

I am running Jave 6 in the Control Panel.
The add remove has 5 and 6 listed.I think i can remove 5.
But i honestly don't know either what it does,but was prompted to install it.

ATI options

mailpup said:
I haven't installed SP3 myself. I don't know about all of those items. You might need some of them to run some applications. I've uninstalled MS visual c+ 2005 without problems. I know you need .NET framework in order to install ATI's Catalyst Control Center. There might be other things that require it as well.
You do need all .NET framework for ATI's CCC.I took their advice and
just installed the drivers for my system. I have Radeon x1650/512 card.
Works well this way with latest drivers only.

I have 3 java updates (2,3,5)in my control panel that seem to be taking up alot of usage 111.00 MB, 111.00MB & 114.00 MB.
The most current Jave is v6 u6:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6463-java-se.html

Most Java updates are for security reason, so it is best to uninstall earlier versions and updates.

1.MS.net framework 2.0 SP1/184 MB
a. MS compression client1 for windows Xp/Remove only
2.MS office standard/126MB
3.MS proffesional edition/112MB
a.MS user mode driver framework feature pack 1/Remove only
5.MS visual c+ 2005 redistributable/5.2MB
It is not possible to say without knowing what's on your system. #3 MS Professional Edition- Professional "what"?

zipperman, the Java image doesn't give us any useful information except that 'check for update automatically' is checked. "Uncheck" that and click on Yes when asked to verify. This is not a process you want starting at boot, running in the background and contacting the internet daily looking for updates. The process shows as 'jusched.exe' in the Task Manager.

The most current Java is version 6 update 6. All other entries should be removed. Unfortunately, Java doesn't overwrite when updating.

Xfactor , As far as the other installed program you asked about, there is nothing I see that I would recommend uninstalling now. However the 'MS VisualC+ redistributable' was a downloadable program. Here is information on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_C++

The most current version is Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) You will need to decide if you need this program: Microsoft Downloads: http://tinyurl.com/yw3sch

You still don't tell us what "3.MS professional edition/112MB" is. As for the Net Framework, if you're using any program that require this, such a MS Money, you need to leave it and accept updates as sent.

Okey dokey!

Thanks for all your replys.

Bob, it just says Microsoft office "97, proffesional edition! Thats it?(no MB)

it just says Microsoft office "97, proffesional edition!
You had left out the word "Office 97"- just put "Professional" and don't have the version of the 'Standard.'
Xfactor, please check this Google search page on the Microsoft Office 97 Professional Edition. http://tinyurl.com/3tkdrs

I don't have either of these, but would think if you had and are using the Pro version, you wouldn't need the standard. But I don't know if they are both '97'. However, check the functions of each, see what you use and need and decide whether to keep both or remove one.

Re most current Java update:

Begin quote from my scan:
Oops! You don't have the recommended Java installed.
Your Java version is Version 6 Update 5. Please click the button below to get the recommended Java for your computer.

NOTE: If you recently completed your Java software installation, you may need to restart your browser (close all browser windows and re-open) before verifying your installation.
Download Free Java for Windows
Windows Vista, XP, and 2000 Server
Version 6 Update 6
End quote

NOTE: v6 u6 is the most current. Delete others after update.

Edit: Watch it! Installing from that site has an installer for Open Office Java checked. You will have to uncheck it if you don't want it. Also, remember to go to Control Panel> Java> Update tab and "uncheck" to 'check for updates automatically> Yes> Apply> OK.

It is not recommended you run the jusched update process.

Who are you posting to ?

If it's me
I feel i have the latest from the Sun Website.
Java Standard Edition 6
Version 6 update 6(build 1.6.0_06-b02.
I did,
NOTE: If you recently completed your Java software installation, you may need to restart your browser (close all browser windows and re-open) before verifying your installation.

I use dthe link to back up my recommendation about stopping Java from automatically checking for updates. Some of us enjoy the learning process. Others think they know it all. At any rate, I covered the bases.

Thanks i guess

Bobbye said:
I use dthe link to back up my recommendation about stopping Java from automatically checking for updates. Some of us enjoy the learning process. Others think they know it all. At any rate, I covered the bases.

I don't know it all,just learn how by reading software options, as my attachment shows.
I manually check when i feel like it.
Jave is just an optional addition.
I have lived without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back