Unmountable Boot Volume & NO POWER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping someone out there can help me.

My daughter's computer crashed last week..."unmountable boot volume"....tried to open in safe mode...no luck. Decided to try recovery disc..."Failure". Decided that mother board probably the problem...older computer (1998) wasn't worth messing with. At this point in time computer was powering up...just not booting.

Today, our second computer gave same error....unmountable boot volume.

Decided that must be virus...so removed hard drive from my daughter's computer...replaced it with a clean hard drive. Reconnected everything figuring that I'd just reinstall and start from scratch....plugged computer in....NO POWER!!! Dead as a doornail!!! Tried resetting power switch...nothing.
Pulled the bios battery...left it out for several hours...nothing.

Meanwhile, figured that while waiting for daughter's computer to reset would try to reboot the second computer. It now will not power up ....no lights, no fan ....NOTHING!!!

I now have 2 dead computers....any ideas???

Thanks for your help.....YP

PS...both were running XP with most current upgrades

Welcome to Techspot !
I find your circumsance a little strange , in that your 2 computers going down so close in time. Was there an electrical surge eg. Storms
As there is no power up on both units , you would normally start with a new PSU.
I am just not sure with the age of your systems if too much energy should be dedicated to troubleshooting, unless you are into it (hobby, etc.)
Anyway if you do start upgrading hardware keep the HDD's you have to capture Data on them, after you are up and running.
Also you should not leave the CMOS battery disconnected for more than a few minutes, it keeps your system clock and Date , but it also maintains the navram which controls bios settings .Put new batteries back in and if you get back to Bios , check all settings before you try to Boot to System.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back