Updating BIOS: Asus A8N SLI Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkroks

I have a BIOS version 1011. I was looking on the asus website and there is v1013, 1014 and 1015 Beta. I downloaded 1013 and 1014. Should I install 1013 first or what? how would i go about doing it?

Nah, go right to 1014. They don't build on each other in any way. I'm getting ready to flash mine too. just need to write down my overclock numbers and settings.

shux, that was quick. i was just going to post the link to 1014 but you had replied already..

I have never actually done it before. where can i read up on how to update BIOS?

You should have a flash utility that will do it for you. Nomally found on the mobo CDROM or you can download it from Asus. The other way is to flash from a floppy and here are the instructions:

- Download the latest 1014 BIOS and BIOS flash tool here: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?Type=All&model=A8N-SLI Deluxe
- Download the BIOS and flash tool under the BIOS section of above mentioned URL.
- In Windows XP go to the floppy drive
- Format the floppy using the option to create a MSDOS startup disk
- Once the disk is created unpack the 1014 BIOS and flash tool to the floppy
- Hit ‘del’ once the system displays the boot screen
- Go to ‘Exit’ menu and select ‘Load Setup Default’
- Then ‘Exit & Save Changes’
- After the reboot the system will boot off the floppy
- Type ‘awdflash a8nsd014.bin’ to start the BIOS update
- Select ‘No’ to save BIOS and ‘Yes’ to update BIOS
- Once completed press ‘F1’ to reset the system

The Asus tool is easier and does a good job. I unzip the new BIOS to a floppy and tell the tool to look for the new BIOS file on the floppy

pkroks-
Do NOT update to 1014 unless you have to. Here is my pot from another board. If you plan on overclocking your CPIU at all then update at your own risk.

BIOS 1014 would not let me overclock my CPU to a levl and numbers I have been running stably for weeks. Just hung at the boot window. Hitting DEL wouldn't even get me into settings. Had to reset the CMOS via battery and jumper to get back into BIOS and and then reflashed back to 1013, by floppy, to get my system back where I could reset my conservative, tried and true 10% overclock. Thanks for another crappy BIOS Asus.

Oh yeah their website, after "huge changes for better service to our valued customers", still SUCKS worse than any other manufacturer's site that I have ever used. It is in a constant overload, failure,out of bandwidth mode. Absolute crap all the way. This is a "high tech" company that can't run a freakin' website. Unbelievable.

so should i update to 1013? i have 1011 and have no problems, thats why i hadn't done it yet and when i saw that you had and it screwed it up, i was happy that i hadn't. the site also says that you shouldn't update unless you have problems... hmmm

pkroks said:
so should i update to 1013? i have 1011 and have no problems, thats why i hadn't done it yet and when i saw that you had and it screwed it up, i was happy that i hadn't. the site also says that you shouldn't update unless you have problems... hmmm

I say DO NOT update to 1014 either, although this is my first post here I have been lurking for some time now.
I joined today to specifically reply to this post.

I updated to 1014 and it caused me headache after headache from drivers having to be reinstalled to raid stripes being broken, the system not shutting down or doing a warm restart.... a complete meltdown in reality.
I flashed back to 1011 and my system is again rock solid, these boards and bios 1008 are all that you need for a stable platform using any of the venice cores, I am not sure about 1013 but I was flashing from 1008 to 1014 because I was bored, everything told me not to do it and I should have listened to my inner self.
Also, I think the best way to update the bios on these particular (A8N-SLI) mobos is via the floppy method, it just seems to work perfectly everytime.
I have had problems with the Asus Update tool and shy away from it now.
Stick with 1011, or ask yourself, what exactly are you trying to get out of the newer bios? is it worth going through a fresh (XP) install proceedure if it screws anything up? why am I updating?

2 cents from an old guy.

well i have a 4400+ dual core Toledo... I won't be updating any time soon as everything seems to work perfectly fine! thanks anyway

The 1008 was a great BIOS but limited for overclocking. I have been using the 1013 for a while and it is the best BIOS I have run on this board. Solid all the way and lots of tweaks for overclocking. 1011 gave my system heartburn for some reason. Anyways, the 1013 is a good BIOS and I can recommend it. Forget the 1014 and if the 1011 is stable then why change.

wat you mean it gave your system heartburn? the temps were getting high? mine are normally around 45-50C for the cpu when just playing music and using firefox and messenger. then around 55C or 60C when playing games... these high?

Actually I am wrong. The 1011 BIOS worked fine for me. It was another earlier upgrade that was scewed up and Asus passed it quickly. I just mixed up my numbers. The 1014, however, definitely seems to have an issue with overclocking. Maybe it is usable on only the newer cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back